Some days you just can't do the right thing....

Cutlass

The Man Who Wasn't There.
So someone left a headstone behind the garage where I live. I think I know who had it, but they don't live hear any longer. It was covered by snow all winter, so I forgot it. Today I was cleaning up the yard a bit and found it. So not knowing what else to do to return it to its rightful place, I called the police. So a cop comes around and looks at at and says he doesn't know what to do. He checked the police reports for the past year, and no one reported one stolen. But the date on the thing is 1908. And it could have been stolen from anywhere at any time. So he looks and shrugs. His boss comes by, and looks and shrugs also. And so they go away and tell me to leave it there and maybe they'll make some inquiries. :crazyeye:

Apparently no one really cares. So why bother trying to do the right thing?

Why would someone steal a headstone of all things ?

Cemetery vandalism and theft is not a huge problem. But it is one that goes on a bit at a time pretty much all the time. You'd think they'd have some way of keeping track of what was lost and when it is found, some way to track where it belongs and return it. And while it's not a huge crime, it's kind of an ugly one.

Don't worry about it mang,

go out and get drunk.

I would think they could call the local cemetaries and see if one is missing. I would think they would have records of who was buried there other than just the headstones that happen to be there but who knows. If no one claims it then I think it would certainly make an interesting conversation piece.

There's a name on it. Cops put that in their notebooks on the way out.

Perhaps you could just phone the closest cemetery to you and ask to them to check the details against their records and see if they come up with a match.

Perhaps you could just phone the closest cemetery to you and ask to them to check the details against their records and see if they come up with a match.

The closest cemetery didn't exist in 1908....

craigslist it.

edit: not being entirely facetious here; somebody could be looking for it. craigslist does have lost and found sections.

So someone left a headstone behind the garage where I live. I think I know who had it, but they don't live hear any longer. It was covered by snow all winter, so I forgot it. Today I was cleaning up the yard a bit and found it. So not knowing what else to do to return it to its rightful place, I called the police. So a cop comes around and looks at at and says he doesn't know what to do. He checked the police reports for the past year, and no one reported one stolen. But the date on the thing is 1908. And it could have been stolen from anywhere at any time. So he looks and shrugs. His boss comes by, and looks and shrugs also. And so they go away and tell me to leave it there and maybe they'll make some inquiries. :crazyeye:

Apparently no one really cares. So why bother trying to do the right thing?
Same thing happened to one of the posters here who called the police to report us all for speeding. He was so despondent he decided to give up the Internet, it was very tragic. :(

The closest cemetery didn't exist in 1908....

Id try it anyways... Around here I think a few cemetaries got moved around and stuff.

That reminds me of a headstone that my parents now have in their yard. Apparently, the headstone of a relative of mine (that died 100 years ago or something) was replaced or something many decades ago.

Well the old headstone was then used to build part of the walkway (path from the driveway to the door) of their neighbors across the street. 60, 80 years later or whatever it was, of course nobody knew about this until the neighbors were replacing that walkway (after breaking it up a bit and a smaller piece happened to flip over or something so they saw writing on it).

Maybe somebody is buried there.

Top Bottom