Space 4 - Mystery game

There's a whole new investment opportunity for dust-gathering disks awaiting you in the form of Civ4 ;)

mad-bax said:
NP still hasn't got a decent Avatar

Hey, the Christmas version of my avatar, with a wreath on the pike, has been much admired. :lol: Great to see you back here. :rockon:

Ted, good work. I think that with a (presumably) Babylonian city in sight fairly close to our capital, our next foundation should definitely be farther north than your site A/my site 1.

With everybody slinking off for late Winter holidays I guess either mad-bax (subject to dust blowing) or Northern Pike is up next.

Ted

OK, I've got it, provisionally. But, MB, if you'd like to step in, you have a little longer to say so. I won't play for at least twelve hours.

Attachments

• SP4-1750BC.JPG
    SP4-1750BC.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 248
Hmm, that's not the format I intended, and I don't know whether the attached save will work. What was wrong with the old upload system? What was wrong with DOS? ;)

2150 (0): Despite all the appropriate terrain we've uncovered, we can't see iron.

Urrrp settler --> settler.

Super worker (last-minute change) --> granary.

2110 (1): We spot a Babylonian settler/warrior team. We may have to accept Laglouts and site 1/A as our front line.

2070 (2): Laglouts Enk --> worker.

2030 (3): The Babylonians found Eridu next to the western fish. At least we had an Enk wall up to keep them from pushing any farther south.

1990 (4): The Babylonians are building the Colossus.

1950 (5): Urrp settler (speeded up by chop) --> barracks.

1910 (6): We found A Kish Before Dying in an acceptable spot to the west, though we have to accept non-provocative cultural overlap with Eridu.

1870 (7): Not much.

1830 (8): Hammurabi extorts 21 gold out of us. :mad:

1790 (9): Wheel --> Alphabet (but we can discuss this). We see no horses. Apparently a start without the early strategic resources was the designed challenge, or part of it.

1750 (10): Our scouting Enks reach unbroken Babylonian territory, so we may not meet any other civs until we have galleys.

We'll beat the Babylonians to Ted's spot B, since we have a settler adjacent to it. After that we should try to settle C to cut them off, and then we can found better cities at our leisure. Or, for that matter, we could just wall them off with a line of Enks from B to sea :lol:, especially if our two scouting Enks in Babylonia have to retreat.

Urrrp will complete its barracks soon with the help of a chop, and can then return to producing settlers. We have a settler building in Laglouts to cover the gap in Urrrp's production.

I think it's worth waiting for Super to complete its granary, unless some crisis arises. Urrrp can only be an eight-turn settler factory in despotism, so we need another steady source of settlers and workers.

We have no beakers invested in Alphabet yet, so we can switch to Warrior Code without losing anything if that's what the team prefers. I'd rather press on to the techs beyond Writing until the situation becomes more dangerous, though. WC should be a four-turn tech for us before too long, but it isn't yet.

We're taking some chances with our garrisons, but I think it's the right play in this unthreatening position. When we get an Enk into Urrrp we should be able to cut the luxury rate. And we'll soon hook up dyes, of course.

A Kish Before Dying is under cultural pressure from Eridu, so I wouldn't reduce the garrison there below two.

No Horses, no Iron?

Teaming up our Enks with some Archers seems quite a powerful combo in this situation. WC gets my vote :D

Ted

Hi Ainwood.

I have a new job (same company), but I still travel during the week - to Slovakia mostly. I would love to get back into Civ, but I would probably be a lousy team member.

I remember the few months before the "break" and I wonder how people kept their patience.

Still, I live in hope, and I'll try to spam this thread as much as I can :mischief:

TedJackson said:
No Horses, no Iron?

Teaming up our Enks with some Archers seems quite a powerful combo in this situation. WC gets my vote :D

The question of whether we should archer-rush the Babylonians is a deep one. Two arguments against it, not necessarily definitive:

1. We'd almost certainly fight the Babylonians in their GA, given their Bowmen. We'd be in ours too, of course, but we'd be advancing away from our supercharged cities and towards theirs.

2. Although this depends on factors we can't evaluate yet--the number of contacts we'll make with galleys, etc.--Invention/longbows by 300 BC isn't out of the question for this difficulty level and civ. That would leave us about seventy turns in which to reach domination before our target date.

TedJackson said:
No Horses, no Iron?

Apologies, I know that Babylon is our closest neighbour but I keep imagining that it's Egypt with a Horse-based UU :confused: .

I withdraw my vote for WC :blush:

Ted

WELCOME BACK, MB!

:band: :beer: :dance: :cooool: :bounce: :banana:

A true pleasure to see you again :D
Please, spam this thread as much and as often as you want -I'll try to do the same... ;)

Actually, after a fantastic week snow-hiking in Scotland, I am being sent out to Toulouse and Noordwijk this week, so I won't have many chances to pop over here. I'll keep up, anyway, don't worry -just don't play too fast! ;)

lurker's comment: You're all so sane!?

Why didn't anyone invite me?

I'd love to snuggle with some mods and make them temporarily fuzzy. Or dizzy. Or wuzzy.

I know how to do that. Or how to be that. :)

since I mean to :whipped: MB into actually playing. :evil:

That would be good. Glad to see him back even if it is just as a lurker.

Top Bottom