[Speculation]Portugal

How about a Feitoria that is a UI. It generates extra gold for each adjacent river and sea tile and has a defensive combat bonus. Obviously you don't want to have them lining the coasts and rivers, so they can only be build by Great Merchants.

How about a Feitoria that is a UI. It generates extra gold for each adjacent river and sea tile and has a defensive combat bonus. Obviously you don't want to have them lining the coasts and rivers, so they can only be build by Great Merchants.

Bacially a unique Customs House? Might be cool.

Yeah, quite interesting. Good idea.

And then increasing the rate the great merchants are generated. It might work, but remember feitorias were common during the Discovery Age. They might become an unique improvement of the portuguese - even replacing trading posts.

And then increasing the rate the great merchants are generated. It might work, but remember feitorias were common during the Discovery Age. They might become an unique improvement of the portuguese - even replacing trading posts.

The problem is that there will be many feitorias in the game, no?
If we have a feitoria with historical veracity (defense + trade)created by workers the game will be unbalanced. If we have a feitoria created by workers with balance, we must cut in historical veracity (it only provides some gold...).

IMO it could provide Defense and Gold, be built by a Great Merchant and increase the GM spawning rate.

The problem is that there will be many feitorias in the game, no?
If we have a feitoria with historical veracity (defense + trade)created by workers the game will be unbalanced. If we have a feitoria created by workers with balance, we must cut in historical veracity (it only provides some gold...).

IMO it could provide Defense and Gold, be built by a Great Merchant and increase the GM spawning rate.

Not if they can only be built on a coastal tiles or if we reduce their bonus. One never knows. But I still prefer seeing the Feitoria as an unique building with defensive/XP for naval units and trade bonuses. Let's wait to see.

(...)

The Symbol - Armillary sphere

The armillary sphere is a symbol both of world expansion and naval science. It is one of the moast well known portuguese symbols and is present on the flag. The Armillary sphere should be complete in order to seem different from the brazilian symbol.

Colors: ((((((((O))))))))

These were the colors of the portuguese monarchy, the aurean period of the portuguese empire (historically speaking, IMO, people live better in a republic, but htis is not the point). As the classic red and greed have already been taken, I see no reason not to use these symbols (I will be honest: when I first knew this game existed, I thought of a portuguese blue and white civ, and it seems really beautyfull to me)

(...)

Alternative Symbol:
Cross of Avis http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d8/Ordem_Avis.svg

Alternative Colors:
((((((((o))))))))
Great suggestion, but I have a few qualms about the symbols - First of all, there's the glaring omission of the Shield of the Kingdom of Portugal, which is probably what works best to represent Portugal - while the Armillary Sphere and the Cross of Avis do make good symbols on their own, we have to take in mind that the former is already included in Brazil's symbol, and the latter is too similar to Spain's. A similar problem happens with the Order Of Christ Cross, which would have been a great symbol for Portugal (it was used in the sails of the Portuguese caravels, carracks and other ships involved in the exploration of the seas), but, again, it already belongs to Brazil's symbol. (Not that "being too similar" stopped them from having Russia, Austria and Poland all with eagles as their symbols, much for the confusion of some :lol:)

Great choice on the colors, although I was first afraid the blue on white was already taken by Greece. However, if they use dark blue (a la America's/Sweden's background color), it could work wonders (and be historically correct)! :) Hopefully people won't think it is just "inverse America"... :lol:

I took some time to see how these symbols would look like in the colors you proposed (and in Light Green background and Red foreground, since Dark Green with Red as been already taken by Ethiopia). Unfortunately, I don't have the tools nor the skills necessary to make them actually look like a Civ V symbol, but maybe someone else will try! *wink wink nudge nudge* ;) However, we can have a rough idea on how they would look in-game! :) I was also unable to make the Armillary Sphere, again I don't have the tools nor the skills necessary...
Dunno if it matters much, but I'll share anyway. I'll also include a Black and White version, so other people can easily paint it whatever colors they want.
Check the album!
Of all, I agree that your first idea is the best - hopefully they'll go with that! :) Also, Light Green with Red looks bad! Never again! :lol:

Great suggestion, but I have a few qualms about the symbols - First of all, there's the glaring omission of the Shield of the Kingdom of Portugal, which is probably what works best to represent Portugal - while the Armillary Sphere and the Cross of Avis do make good symbols on their own, we have to take in mind that the former is already included in Brazil's symbol, and the latter is too similar to Spain's. A similar problem happens with the Order Of Christ Cross, which would have been a great symbol for Portugal (it was used in the sails of the Portuguese caravels, carracks and other ships involved in the exploration of the seas), but, again, it already belongs to Brazil's symbol. (Not that "being too similar" stopped them from having Russia, Austria and Poland all with eagles as their symbols, much for the confusion of some :lol:)

Great choice on the colors, although I was first afraid the blue on white was already taken by Greece. However, if they use dark blue (a la America's/Sweden's background color), it could work wonders (and be historically correct)! :) Hopefully people won't think it is just "inverse America"... :lol:

I took some time to see how these symbols would look like in the colors you proposed (and in Light Green background and Red foreground, since Dark Green with Red as been already taken by Ethiopia). Unfortunately, I don't have the tools nor the skills necessary to make them actually look like a Civ V symbol, but maybe someone else will try! *wink wink nudge nudge* ;) However, we can have a rough idea on how they would look in-game! :) I was also unable to make the Armillary Sphere, again I don't have the tools nor the skills necessary...
Dunno if it matters much, but I'll share anyway. I'll also include a Black and White version, so other people can easily paint it whatever colors they want.
Check the album!
Of all, I agree that your first idea is the best - hopefully they'll go with that! :) Also, Light Green with Red looks bad! Never again! :lol:

Great Album. Still the Order of Christ Cross is somehow used for Brazil

The armillary sphere is difficult, i agree, but is possible and could be very different fromt he brazilian symbol. I think it works perfectly

The armillary sphere is difficult, i agree, but is possible and could be very different fromt he brazilian symbol. I think it works perfectly

Well, I tried! :lol:
Updated Album!
It's kinda a complex image, and it is hard to make it recognizable while only using two colors. I think this way is a nice balance between complexity and ability to be easily recognizable. The biggest problem was making the components stand out, instead of just a weird flat shadow, but I think it came out nicely.

Indeed, even on their own, the one on the Portuguese flag looks a bit different from the one in the Empire of Brazil's, and since Brazil's symbol also includes the cross, there'd be enough difference between the two. However, since there are others symbols Firaxis can use, I'm not sure they'd go for it twice...

And now we wait for a better version of these symbols...

Great Album. Still the Order of Christ Cross is somehow used for Brazil
Thanks! The Order of Christ Cross is used for Brazil because it is part of the Empire of Brazil's Coat of Arms and, therefore, part of the Empire of Brazil's flag. It makes sense, it's just that it steals one of Portugal's best symbols, unfortunately, but with such a related history, that was to be expected.

For some reason, I think this is going to be Portugal's color scheme, if they get in (which I think they will), of course:

(((((((((o)))))))))

For some reason, I think this is going to be Portugal's color scheme, if they get in (which I think they will), of course:

(((((((((o)))))))))

Dark Green on Red would feel weird, however, to whatever symbol you pick... While the colors would be the first pick, what feels more "natural" has already been taken by Ethiopia, and the inverse would be jarring to see - specially if they choose the Shield of the Kingdom of Portugal as the symbol, since it has a red border, or the Order of Christ Cross, since it is red. Having red on the color scheme without those symbols being red wouldn't mesh well... :crazyeye:

Here's a preview!

Not that it would be impossible, but Dark Blue on White not only fits better, as it is directly connected to the Portuguese Monarchy, making it a far better choice (in my point of view). Heck, if they made the symbol the five Quinas (or even just one of them), then it would also be completely correct in terms of color as well!! :p

Seeing your preview: the color scheme looks hidious! XD

JK, I actually liked it a little bit. I know blue and white is more representative and looks cool, but I like it because of the flag. The symbol should be red - if they were going to pick the flag theme - though, but we already have Ethiopia, so I though about the reverse. I bet it is going to be the opposite of America, then, but I wouldn't mind seeing the green-red scheme. I like the portuguese flag :p

BTW, I saw your other previews, liked a lot the Celtic-Opposite theme and the Bright Green-Red theme. I don't think we'll be seeing the Cross of Avis, though, it is way too simillar to Spain's icon

Dark Green on Red would feel weird, however, to whatever symbol you pick... While the colors would be the first pick, what feels more "natural" has already been taken by Ethiopia, and the inverse would be jarring to see - specially if they choose the Shield of the Kingdom of Portugal as the symbol, since it has a red border, or the Order of Christ Cross, since it is red. Having red on the color scheme without those symbols being red wouldn't mesh well... :crazyeye:

Have you seen Portugal's icon in Civ IV?

Hurts the eyes.

:dunno:

I don't get the problem with that color scheme. Looks alright to me.

Throwing a UA out there for Portugal:

"Ocean Sovereignty"

Double gold from tribute demands from coastal City-States.

Increased income from international trade routes by sea.

Here's a preview!

Not that it would be impossible, but Dark Blue on White not only fits better, as it is directly connected to the Portuguese Monarchy, making it a far better choice (in my point of view). Heck, if they made the symbol the five Quinas (or even just one of them), then it would also be completely correct in terms of color as well!! :p

Agreed!!!! Use the 5 Quinas (the blue shields with 5 dots each) if the armillary sphere (which is totally different from the brazilian one) does not work.

SOmething like this (not really this, it was the most similar I found)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/PortugueseFlag1185.svg

Nice work with the flags and colors, we can have a good image :) and the blue white is the better choice IMO

The Shield of the Kingdom of Portugal is the oldest symbol of our country. From what I know it has been in use since Afonso III's reign which started in 1248 and its design is deeply tied to the formation of the kingdom and the victories over the moors by Dom Afonso Henriques (Afonso I).

The five blue shields arranged in a cross pattern represent the five defeated moor kings by Dom Afonso Henriques due to the sacred blessing Jesus himself gave the king when he appeared before him, the white dots in each shield represent the five stigmas Jesus had when he was hung on the cross that each moor king also had (also, if you add up all the white dots and count the middle ones twice you get 30 which represent the 30 pieces of silver Judas was given to betray Jesus) and the castles represent the victories that led to the formation of the kingdom.

While the Armillary Sphere and the Cross of Christ have been used to represent the country/kingdom as well, ithey are not the oldest nor the most appropriate and well known.

Top Bottom