Spell Schools

Jarlean

Chieftain
FFH has a plethora of different spell schools but in the limited time that I have been playing I have found a few things to be of great importance. The ability to cast fireballs. And if a summoner vs. not Mercurians Wraiths with lots of mana nodes.

Some schools have a limited use such as water I healing desert tiles and meta magic III helping you change nodes.

However aside from that I do not really understand why it would not be best to focus on one school for its affinity. I however think that this is likely just due to my current ignorance of the system. So I would like to ask you all, what is the use of getting all of the other schools? Why take air, order, chaos, mind, or any of the schools?

Versatility, basically. Is you spam death mana, you'll have awesome death summons, but only death mana is powerful enough to be a strategy in it's own right. Imagine stacking fire. Even as Grigori, will 4 Hero Archmages, one more fire mana will get you one more fire strength on 8 beastly units. But putting one of those into an enchantment node instead gives all your Champions a 20% bonus, on top of a luxury resource.

But as an example of versatility, imagine that you have all death mana, and you're out stomping on someone. A second army shows up on a relatively unprotected border. It's Jonas, and he has 400 Ogres. Wouldn't having some mind mana for Charm Person be super right about then? Charm will buy you time. Charm on top of Rust will usually make the AI run back to it's nearest city. But unless you have nothing but mages, or are Sheim/Amurites, fireballs are not going to break the back of that stack. But Maelstrom + Blinding Light, or Slow can.

Essentially, stacking mana for affinities is only really awesome for a few, namely Death, or Sun with Chalid. I prefer stacking 1-2 manas to 2-3, then getting utility mana. Three Mind nodes gives all your mages Charm Person, on top of a 9% bonus to research. Stopping fire at 3 to go after utility still gives a +3X affinity bonus, and guarantees all mages free Fireball.

Only Death mana as a summoner is really worth massively stacking. Assuming your computer can handle 200 Spectres and Wraiths sweeping out in all directions, driving the lamentations of your enemies women before them.

I was going to post some reasons why you might want the other mana types but it was so long that I'd better not bother. I will say though that you've picked two uses of mana that need a lot of spell casters. Most spells will affect a whole stack except a fireball or a summoned monster. One mage with pacify can frustrate an army. One mage with a fireball will scratch a handful of units.

Thanks to both of you for the advice so far. It is very helpful. Dave, I understand if you decide not to do the long list but if you did that would be AMAZING and very helpful! I really enjoy the magic system in FFH and am trying to get of them as I tend to play as the magic based civs.

Thanks to both of you for the advice so far. It is very helpful. Dave, I understand if you decide not to do the long list but if you did that would be AMAZING and very helpful! I really enjoy the magic system in FFH and am trying to get of them as I tend to play as the magic based civs.

I end up doing this sort of thing mentally all the time, and I'm bored at the moment, so I'd be happy to oblige.

Air 1- Fair Wind. +1 movement to ships. Not that great.

Air 2- Maelstorm. Nice AoE damage to an entire stack. I want to say it maxes at 40% damage, but it might be 30%. Essentially, 4 mages knocks off 30-40% of the health of every enemy in range. As with all AoE, watch to not hit neutral parties, war WILL be declared.

Air 3- Summon Air Elemental- Has an Air affinity, iirc, and spawns a Lightning Elemental, either when it dies, or wins a combat (never used 'em).

Body 1- Haste. Awesome spell. Gives +1 movement to all living creatures in the stack. So, no siege, no undead, golems, demons or angels. But if your stacks lack those, it's a complete must-have.

Body 2- Regeneration. Increases healing by +10% (thats an extra 10% of health returned per turn, regardless of movement.) Lasts until the unit is fully healed. Has the same limitations as Haste, but again, a nice spell, almost like giving everyone temporary March.

Body 3- Create Flesh Golem. Makes a Golem, which can than be fed units to increase it's strength. It also gains whatever promotions you feed it. And both of those can come from temporary summons. Allows for some awesome late-game monster units, but it's a LOT of micro to get there.

Chaos 1- Dance of Blades?. Gives all units in the stack 1 First Strike. Decent buffing spell.

Chaos 2- Mutation. Gives all units in the stack mutation, which has a small chance of giving each unit any or all of the promotions. Take a stack of disposable units (basically anything but disciple or arcane typed units) away from everything else, and cast. Cannon fodder the ones that get Weak and Withered, treat like heros the ones that get Strong/Canibalize/Heroic Strength/Heroic Defense.

Chaos 3- Wonder. 4-6 random spell effects happen. User beware.

Earth Mana increases the chance to pop a metal resource on a mine. The first node gives the biggest increase, with subsequent ones being still useful, but not as big a jump as the first one. Free Earth Mana from Standing Stones.

Earth 1- Wall of Stone. Creates a building in a city that gives (iirc) 25% bonus defense. Useful for defending (obviously), I tend to use it only when I get it for free, such as when playing dwarves as Runes of Kilmorph, so I have 2 earth mana.

Earth 2- Stoneskin. Gives the unit 3 First Strikes, and +2 Defensive Strength, next battle only. This is a decent choice for Amurite Firebows, and kind of weak besides, unless an opponent is throwing a ton of unpromoted assassins at you.

Earth 3- Earth Elemental. Earth affinity, notable for giving normal strength, not an elemental type which might be resisted. I don't really use them.

Free fire mana from Pyre of the Seraphic.

Fire 1- Scorch. Starts a fire. Fires will turn forests, ancient forests, and jungle into burnt forest, which becomes new forest after a random time, and eventually forest. I don't often use it, but it can be useful if you picked up Knowledge of the Ether before Bronze Working to clear forests, assuming you have Fire Mana from the palace (So, Amurites).

Fire 2- Fireball. Great for bombarding city defenses, especially as elves who don't get siege. Second purpose is attacking one unit normally (the fireball cannot kill in this combat, iirc), and doing some collateral damage to ~4 other units. Nice for breaking small but tough armies down to killable range, but personally, I prefer to combine Maelstrom (Air 2), Blur (Shadow 1), and Shadowwalk (Shadow 2).

Fire 3- Summon Fire Elemental. Big Beasty with fire affinity that causes collateral damage. Really, it's a fun toy to play with, but lacks a real punch unless you get it early on a Channeling 3 Hero, Hemah or Gorvonan. Even then, I'd prefer Mind 3 (Domination).

Enchantment gives +1 happiness in each city per node.

Enchantment 1- Enchanted Blade. Gives all melee units in the stack a permanant magic buff that gives +20% strength.

Enchantment 2- Flaming Arrows. Gives archery units +1 fire strength. Great for Amurites.

Enchantment 3- Spellstaff. Lets you basically store a turn of casting. Cast Spellstaff, it counts as your spell for the turn. Next turn, cast, and you'll see you can still cast Break Spellstaff, which will let you cast again that round.

Entropy gives negative relations with good/neutral leaders.

Entropy 1- Rust. The spell that makes the diplomacy malus worth it. Affects all enemies in range, Rust removes weapon bonuses (for bronze, iron, or mithril) AND applies a 10% malus that can only be removed in a city with a forge. Combine with some AoE to cripple an enemy stack.

Entropy 2- Summon Pit Beast. Filler spell. It's not terrible, but it's special thing is that it lives for an extra turn if it kills something, which at strength 4 isn't too often by the time mages are around.

Entropy 3- Wither. Applies wither to a few units in the opposing stack. As wither is a crippling debuff, it shines when facing a handful of very tough units.

Ice only comes from Letum Frigus, or the Illian palace.

Ice 1- Slow. Reduces the movement rate of every enemy unit in a stack by one. For a melee+catapults army, this locks them down, since 2-3 casts will get most of the units in a stack, and the AI is loathe to split offensive stacks in such situations. Even against humans, you'll still lock down most of their army.

Ice 2- Summon Ice Elemental. Summons a moderate strength elemental with Ice affinity. Slightly higher starting strength than other level 2 summons, but makes up for it by only having 2 possible sources for Ice mana.

Ice 3- Blizzard. Big AoE spell. 40% damage, to a maximum of 80%.

Law mana reduces maintenance costs by 5%, and stacks with itself, and courthouses. Spamming Law Mana can actually reduce city maintenance to nothing.

Law 1- Loyalty. Gives all units the Loyal promotion, which means they die like normal instead of being captured or turned by special abilities.

Law 2- Summon Einherjar. Filler spell. It's not terrible, but it's special thing is that it lives for an extra turn if it kills something, which at strength 4 isn't too often by the time mages are around.

Law 3- Unyielding Order. Removes all penalties for unhappiness in a city. It could be size infinity with almost as much unhealthiness, but not a citizen will be unhappy. Awesome builder spell.

Each Life node you have gives all cities +1 health. A Life mana can be gained from the Tomb of Sucellus.

Life 1- Sanctify. Terraforming spell, removes hell terrain.

Life 2- Destroy Undead. The answer to Pyre Zombie spam. Does 40% damage to undead, capped at 100%. Yes, 4 castings will kill infinity Pyre Zombies. With no backlash explosion. It's very, very nice... if you need it.

Life 3- Resurrection. Takes three turns to cast, and kills your caster. Brings a dead Hero back to life. Awesome for Corlindale hijinks, or to soothe you after Alazkhan loses a 99.99% combat against a wounded adept in a desert.

Metamagic 1- Floating Eye. Summons an eye that acts just like a hawk. Nice if you're the Amurites, you can skip Hunting until very late, and still scout nicely. Made mostly redundant by a hawk for most others.

Metamagic 2- Dispel Magic. This can strip debuffs from your guys, and buffs from an opponent. Also lets you dispel mana nodes, so you can re-build them into a new mana type. Note that you keep mage promotions or Towers you built that required that mana after you dispel all the nodes.

Metamagic 3- Summon Djinn. Has +1 Affinity for all kinds of mana, but only a +1 from each. Nice if you're going for maximum Cave of Ancestors effect, I guess.

Mind mana gives a stacking 3% research bonus for each node.

Mind 1- Inspiration. Creates a building in a city that gives 2 beakers, and 1 Sage Great Person Point. Nice way to utilize adepts while waiting for them to mature. Makes two mind nodes to give all adepts, and all future promotions along the arcane line Mind 1 for free, and snag a 6% research bonus too.

Mind 2- Charm Person. Only works on living foes, but it prevents them from attacking. With a 20% chance to wear off per turn, 2-5 mages with Charm person can absolutely lock down an attacking stack. Each unit resists individually, but from my experience, 3 casts is enough to get 90% of a stack. Have a few more just to make sure though.

Mind 3- Domination. AWESOME spell. Steals the highest strength unit in an enemy stack. Forever. The downside is that if it resists, you lose the Mind 3 promotion, but the easy way around this is to take a caster hero, like Corlindale or Hemah, give them Mobility 1, Mind 1-3, and leave ALL other promotions for re-taking Mind 3. In my last game as Flauros, I had Gibbon dominate ~40 Ogres (~15 of whom survived to become vampire ogres) and Tum-Tum. Dominate is AWESOME.

Free nature mana from the Song of Autum, the Fellowship Holy building.

Nature 1- Treetop defense. This spell makes all units in a stack fortify if they are ina forest. Nice for extra stack defense in early invasions, or against elves.

Nature 2- Poisoned Blade. Gives all Recon units in the stack +1 Poison strength. Awesome as Svartlfar.

Nature 3- Vitalize. Turns a: plains->grassland, tundra->plains. Nice for terraforming.

Free Shadow Mana from Nox Noctis.

Shadow 1- Blur. Gives all units in the stack Blur, making them immune to first strikes.

Shadow 2- Shadowwalk. Ignores either building defenses, terrain defense bonuses, or both. I can't remember in spite of how much I play the Svarts. Combined with Blur and some kind of AoE or Rust it's usually enough to crack city defenders with equal tech units.

Shadow 3- Summon Mistform. 2 move, Hidden Nationality summon with a +1 affinity for shadow mana.

Spirit mana increases Great Person generation by 3% per mana node.

Spirit 1- Courage. Allows units in the stack to attack units with fear and adds +10% healing.

Spirit 2- Hope. Creates a building in a city that gives 4 culture, one happiness, and the courage promotion to units in the city.

Spirit 3- Trust. One time Diplomacy bonus. Never used it.

Sun mana can get gotten from the Mirror of Heaven, and Deis Dei, the Empyrean Holy building.

Sun 1- Scorch. Plains->Desert. Ice->Tundra. Terraforming spell.

Sun 2- Blinding Light. Immobilizes enemy units.

Sun 3- Summon Aureius. Notable for having a +2 affinity for sun mana.

Free Water mana from the Necronomicon (Overlords Holy building).

Water 1- Spring. Turns a desert into a plains. Obviously useful if you have a lot of desert, but you can spring an Oasis too, which turns it into 4 food, 1 hammer, and 2 commerce. Especially useful if elves, since you can't Bloom a forest on desert.

Water 2- Waterwalking. Not very useful unless you're playing a water map, though it can be awesome in that case.

Water 3- Summon Water Elemental. The Water Elemental, upon death, splits into two weaker elementals. If you have the Tower of Elements National Wonder, they'll split from a Strong Water Elemental to 2 normal ones, which if they're still around can then break into a total of 4 weaker Elementals. Combine with Twincast (From a hero caster like Hemah), summoner, and Belseraph puppets for some absurd numbers of throwaway summoned cannon fodder.

Nice writeup, SurahAhriman, but:

Law 3- Unyielding Order. Removes all penalties for unhappiness in a city. It could be size infinity with almost as much unhealthiness, but not a citizen will be unhappy. Awesome builder spell.

Actually, Unyielding Order is the High Priest spell for the Order. Law 3 is Valor, which gives +1 experience per combat and +10% magic resistance. Not a bad effect, but pretty weak for level 3.

It's also worth noting that each of the shrines provides free mana:
AV - Entropy
OO - Water
Esus - Shadow
FoL - Nature
RoK - Earth
Empyrean - Sun
Order - Law

Tower of Necromancy gives free death mana.

1) Big affinity is generally for tier III, death, unique units, and extra skills when promoting units. If you're not doing any of that then the affinity isn't needed.
2) The game is usually won and lost when you have tier II magic. Affinity is limited use in tier II.
3) Buffs work when your mages aren't there and when your opponent is attacking you. One mage can buff all your units.
4) Summons and fireballs work well but they don't affect a whole stack, a massive stack. You need more mages if you use those spells.
5) There's a national limit on archmages (see above).
6) Mana for upgrading your terrain gives a permanent bonus to your nation, forever.
7) Mana which improves your economy is not trivial. Your magic works for you in peace time and war.
8) Lots of magic is situational but you're always in some situation or other than needs different magic. That's FFH.
9) The towers can be built with the right sets of mana. They can be very worthwhile.

Nice writeup, SurahAhriman, but:

Actually, Unyielding Order is the High Priest spell for the Order. Law 3 is Valor, which gives +1 experience per combat and +10% magic resistance. Not a bad effect, but pretty weak for level 3.

It's also worth noting that each of the shrines provides free mana:
AV - Entropy
OO - Water
Esus - Shadow
FoL - Nature
RoK - Earth
Empyrean - Sun
Order - Law

Tower of Necromancy gives free death mana.

Bleh, I actually thought about that, but was too tired to double-check. That took a lot longer to write-up than I thought it would. Same excuse for the sloppiness with the shrines, though I think I covered all the Unique Improvements that give free mana.

Great list! I've been looking for something like this for a while. BTW, how do you guys get your mages up before games end to make them useful? Unless I have a caster hero or play grigori, I NEVER get arch mages up before the game is already decided. And I may get one mage up from waiting and letting it sit and accumulate exp before the game is over.

Do you all send groups of adepts to battle?

Yes, but only when the odds are >95%, which means they don't gain much experience. I always have better luck when I set things up so the adepts are born with lots of experience; this substantially shortens (or, ideally, eliminates) the wait for mage level.

Civics: apprenticeship, conquest
Buildings: form of the titan, command post
Traits: charismatic

You can use combat to level up adepts after softening the targets with catapults or spells. Also mages with Stoneskin can be risked in combat. Expect to lose one or two so start out with 6 adepts instead of just 4 and you should get early archmages by the time you research the tech.

Alternatively an Arcane leader can level up his adepts and mages faster especially if given a head start by using ways to boost the starting exp (from civics and buildings)

If you're a builder, you can use Law, Enchantment, Mind, Spirit, Life, and Earth. All provide bonuses, except for Earth, which gives you the chance for a random mine upgrade. For terraforming, you'll want either Nature or Water (Nature does more, but Spring is a level 1 spell).

As a builder, you'll want the Tower of Divination too ...

As a builder, you'll want the Tower of Divination too ...

I do not understand why builder will want Tower of Divination more than other type of player... Free technology is equally useful for different styles of play

BTW, how do you guys get your mages up before games end to make them useful? Unless I have a caster hero or play grigori, I NEVER get arch mages up before the game is already decided. And I may get one mage up from waiting and letting it sit and accumulate exp before the game is over.

I rarely sent my adepts to battle unless the chance is >90%. You should try using Arcane leaders. Adepts level up much faster using them. Usually I rush Form of the Titan, then switch to Apprentice+Conquest, so my adepts will start with 6xp. To make sure I get Strength of Will early, I rush Crown of Ankharien or pop StW with Tower of Divination or both :lol:

I never see AI's archmage though, even if I play with AI no level requirement. I guess StW is too late tech for AI :crazyeye:

I do not understand why builder will want Tower of Divination more than other type of player... Free technology is equally useful for different styles of play

I think the idea here is that builders are more likely to get the mana needed for the ToD. Those mana types are less likely to be developed by people using mages for direct combat.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Builders tend to get all the mana types Divination requires. Many of the more aggressive strategies here focus on one or a few mana types.

Quick note I spotted in SurahAhrimans list.

Life 3 - Resurrection - Does not kill the caster. Once you have Life 3 you can suicide your hero as much as you want.

Also all of the towers have awesome bonuses. Except maybe the Tower of Alteration, but that becomes a killer if your running Empy. -20% chance to resist blinding light? Yes please...

Everyone, remember that free spell promotions are granted based on your stacked node types not only when building Adepts, but also when promoting to Mage and Archmage. You can reconfigure your nodes for a short while.

See spell link in my signature if you also need to find out the Divine spells.

Air 2- Maelstorm. Nice AoE damage to an entire stack. I want to say it maxes at 40% damage, but it might be 30%. Essentially, 4 mages knocks off 30-40% of the health of every enemy in range. As with all AoE, watch to not hit neutral parties, war WILL be declared.

Maelstrom caps at 30% now. Ring of Flames from Ritualists is still 40%, although Fire resists are more common than Lightning ones.

Fire 2- Fireball. Great for bombarding city defenses, especially as elves who don't get siege. Second purpose is attacking one unit normally (the fireball cannot kill in this combat, iirc), and doing some collateral damage to ~4 other units. Nice for breaking small but tough armies down to killable range, but personally, I prefer to combine Maelstrom (Air 2), Blur (Shadow 1), and Shadowwalk (Shadow 2).

Fireballs do kill. Spammed from Combat III or V promoted Mages, they frequently do. Using AoE first doesn't hurt of course. Fireball movement isn't affected by terrain and Spell Extension works so occasionally they even help with scouting.

Maelstrom and Blur are nice for cracking cities, too. I suggest Shadowwalk isn't doing much for you but I also don't bother building Palisade or Walls myself.

Entropy 1- Rust. The spell that makes the diplomacy malus worth it. Affects all enemies in range, Rust removes weapon bonuses (for bronze, iron, or mithril) AND applies a 10% malus that can only be removed in a city with a forge. Combine with some AoE to cripple an enemy stack.

According to the old spell list, Enchanted Blade can also remove Rusted. Adept spell seems more accessible than Forges. Not sure if I ever tried it though.

Entropy 3- Wither. Applies wither to a few units in the opposing stack. As wither is a crippling debuff, it shines when facing a handful of very tough units.

Wither maxes out at 40% damage. The added debuff is -10% strength, -20% healing and -50% combat experience gain. Could be helpful in prolonged fights against Medic-containing stacks or city defenders. Only hits enemies, only affects living units, can be resisted.

Law 2- Summon Einherjar. Filler spell. It's not terrible, but it's special thing is that it lives for an extra turn if it kills something, which at strength 4 isn't too often by the time mages are around.

Entropy 2- Summon Pit Beast. Filler spell. It's not terrible, but it's special thing is that it lives for an extra turn if it kills something, which at strength 4 isn't too often by the time mages are around.

These are strength 5. Host of the Einherjar are 3+2 (Holy) Angels, Pit Beast is a 4+1 (Unholy) Demon. Movement 1, duration extendable through combat as you said.

I feel both are underused in favor of Death II Spectres that are str 3 (+1 Death Affinity), movement 2 Undead. They also have Fear although usually that just annoys me. The affinity certainly makes Spectres scale way better but people do say that the game is won early on. I generally only have 1-3 nodes at this point and not everyone has a palace giving Death...

That said, I have yet to really spam these myself. I play Malakim the most and their Mages have the 5+1 (Fire), movement 2 Sand Lions. Just need to find a desert, or Scorch a plains tile.

Mind 2- Charm Person. Only works on living foes, but it prevents them from attacking. With a 20% chance to wear off per turn, 2-5 mages with Charm person can absolutely lock down an attacking stack. Each unit resists individually, but from my experience, 3 casts is enough to get 90% of a stack. Have a few more just to make sure though.

Sun 2- Blinding Light. Immobilizes enemy units.

Charm Person is supposed to have lower resist chance but I tend to have better luck with Blinding Light. Empyrean religious units can give alternative access to it.

Mind 3- Domination. AWESOME spell. Steals the highest strength unit in an enemy stack. Forever. The downside is that if it resists, you lose the Mind 3 promotion, but the easy way around this is to take a caster hero, like Corlindale or Hemah, give them Mobility 1, Mind 1-3, and leave ALL other promotions for re-taking Mind 3. In my last game as Flauros, I had Gibbon dominate ~40 Ogres (~15 of whom survived to become vampire ogres) and Tum-Tum. Dominate is AWESOME.

Probably my most common use for Gibbon. :)

Shadow 3- Summon Mistform. 2 move, Hidden Nationality summon with a +1 affinity for shadow mana.

I once had Gibbon just for Shadow 3. He was standing in middle of friendly Ljosalfar territory, with twincasted HN Mistforms pillaging a Town or two each turn. Gotta slow down the growth of those elves! ;)

Spirit 3- Trust. One time Diplomacy bonus. Never used it.

Trust is +4 with everybody. A peaceful spell to promote on a Vitalize-focused caster.

It probably deserves the level 3 status. I had Valor on my Vitalize caster and just about all my units got the buff. Later when mopping up massive low health enemy stacks (all those Wolves and Tigers!) I had even casters doing >99.99% attacks for 2 exp instead of 1. 100% bonus... Saverous needed a Great Commander to accomplish the same because Valor is only for living non-Animal/Beast units.

Sidar or Calabim should certainly see the draw of Valor.

Also all of the towers have awesome bonuses. Except maybe the Tower of Alteration, but that becomes a killer if your running Empy. -20% chance to resist blinding light? Yes please...

I was recently attacking Ljosalfar across the ocean in a big war to finish off the game. They had a fully forested land with roads most of my units couldn't use, huge archer/mounted/assassin/priest/tiger stacks and Entangle/Maelstrom support. I ended up promoting spell resistance for just about everybody to be able to act on some units when my Shadows couldn't kill the Druids in advance... Sure could've used the +20% resist bonus from Tower of Alteration, if only I had thought to build it. :p

With Valor, you want to stack it with a Great Commander. Run off to a barb-infested area, and each kill nets you 2xp if you're over 100xp. Awesome for heroes.

Top Bottom