Splinter Of The True Cross - Why Did I Get This In 3880 BC?

Yeah, goody hut. Game needs a bit of polishing in this area. Almost as silly as when I found the Eureka for Nuclear Fission in a goody hut. Did make the whole "primitive tribe" text read rather funnily, although sadly, I didn't get to make a screenshot of it.

Yeah, goody hut. Game needs a bit of polishing in this area. Almost as silly as when I found the Eureka for Nuclear Fission in a goody hut. Did make the whole "primitive tribe" text read rather funnily, although sadly, I didn't get to make a screenshot of it.

Obviously you found the remains of Los Alamos, long after World War 3 reset civilization.

Gandhi can found Catholicism with Pagodas and Zen Meditation and you're concerned because you found a splinter of the cross in a village? Civ has never been about getting every historic puzzle piece in the exact right order. It's about spilling the pieces on the table and creating your own history.

Maybe the splinter piece appeared after someone formed Christianity around 3900BC

This particular case isn't that strange (certainly less than late game "primitive village" giving you eureka towards nuclear fission).

After all it is just a piece of simple wooden object - you can easily imagine it's of some very legendary, very ancient man wandering across primitive Earth, known for this power or knowledge.

Gandhi can found Catholicism with Pagodas and Zen Meditation and you're concerned because you found a splinter of the cross in a village? Civ has never been about getting every historic puzzle piece in the exact right order. It's about spilling the pieces on the table and creating your own history.
While Civ is not a history simulator, the game should (preferably) make sense within its own logic. The fact that you can find a relic when no religion has been founded is not exactly ... elegant game design. It would probably work better if the relic hut only becomes available from medieval era and onwards or something like that (similar to how certain types of huts used to and should only trigger in early eras).

Relics without "religion" makes perfect sense.
You still have a Pantheon (or are accumulating faith toward one)
I can see balance reasons to restrict relics to "founded religion/religion present in one of your cities) but immersion wise it seems fine (at least as much as Shinto Aztecs revering a Splinter of the True Cross)

I found the grasscutter sword when I was still a primitive tribe and didn't even had discovedred bronze working.

On the other hand this seems plausible, considering that, according to legends the grasscutter sword was found by a japanese god in the body of a monster he had slain .... I guess in the land of gods and monsters iron working has been discovered long before it was discovered in the land of mere mortal humans :yup:

Almost as silly as when I found the Eureka for Nuclear Fission in a goody hut. Did make the whole "primitive tribe" text read rather funnily, although sadly, I didn't get to make a screenshot of it.

lol, thats wonderful. Ancient nuclear war confirmed.

While Civ is not a history simulator, the game should (preferably) make sense within its own logic. The fact that you can find a relic when no religion has been founded is not exactly ... elegant game design. It would probably work better if the relic hut only becomes available from medieval era and onwards or something like that (similar to how certain types of huts used to and should only trigger in early eras).
The cool thing about the huts is that they show how human history goes back even further than the game's start date of 4000 BC. We have pottery artifacts dating back 25k+ years, musical instruments dating back 40k years, evidence of human burial dating back 100k years, and tools dated 2m+ years ago. Is it that crazy to uncover something of spiritual signicance in 3800 BC?

Five thousand years later a cleric will "reinterpret" the provenance of the relic. Any so-called "scientists" suggesting that it precedes the hegemonic religion of the recorded history of your culture are simply failing a test of faith that Quetzalcoatl set up by manipulating the matter of the relic in ways beyond the comprehension of mortals.

lol, thats wonderful. Ancient nuclear war confirmed.
I got Robotics right out of a goody hut a while back:
http://i.imgur.com/MY5wSgv.jpg
Literally Judgement Day

Seriously though I don't understand why you can get lategame techs/civics/boosts from huts. I mean... you could do that in Civ IV, then they removed it in Civ V, now they added it back in Civ VI? You'd think they removed it in V for a reason...

Personally, I would rather relics from goody huts not be a thing. Nothing to do with realism concerns, it's just that I don't like how luck-based the early game is. One of my big complaints with Civ V was that what you happened to pop from ruins was more important, in the early game, than what you decided to build in your city. I don't want Civ VI to go down that path.

Seriously though I don't understand why you can get lategame techs/civics/boosts from huts. I mean... you could do that in Civ IV, then they removed it in Civ V, now they added it back in Civ VI? You'd think they removed it in V for a reason...

My guess is that they just didn't program that restriction in, then didn't get back to it while focusing on other things? A lot of parts of the game feel like they would have been better with another few months of programming.

Well, clearly our perceptions of "perfect sense" don't align. :mischief:
A relic makes perfect sense for whatever shamanistic, supertitious set of beliefs your people have, even before they are organized enough to be a pantheon/religion.

Also a "tribal village" in the Information Age may just be a minor cs.

I got Robotics right out of a goody hut a while back:
http://i.imgur.com/MY5wSgv.jpg
Literally Judgement Day

Dependsa on what your tech level was when you got it, I guess.

According to your screenshot you were in 1526 AD and lready were culturally "researching" suffrage ... which IIRC is culturally industrial times.
If your technology was on a similar level, I guess this would just be a single technological era difference between robotics and your technology.

Which may be the limitations hey implemented (i.e. diference of technological eras between yours and the tech from the hut <= 1

Dependsa on what your tech level was when you got it, I guess.

According to your screenshot you were in 1526 AD and lready were culturally "researching" suffrage ... which IIRC is culturally industrial times.
If your technology was on a similar level, I guess this would just be a single technological era difference between robotics and your technology.

Which may be the limitations hey implemented (i.e. diference of technological eras between yours and the tech from the hut <= 1
Yeah of course, but I don't think you should able to get techs like that from huts regardless of what your own science progression may happen to be. It's just incredibly illogical

Top Bottom