StarNES: Updates Without Number (Epoch I)

Epoch I

Welcome to the first epoch of StarNES, a NES that hopefully will know no creative limits as the NESing community pitches in to create a whole galaxy. StarNES will play out over a series of four epochs, each epoch building off of the world that was created in the previous era. Until we reach Epoch III StarNES will not be a full-fledged NES complete with stats and time-commitments, mostly for my benefit. Epoch I & II can therefore be classified as NES-lites; so 'lite' in fact that it in no way means I am abandoning my other NES.

Hopefully you mean your other NESes :p

Roll me up some GC¤ please!

This is just too good. Consider me in. :D

Woo, some one thought my idea was good. Count me in.

Whoops, wrong thread, pardon me.

theDright: 26GC¤ (20+6)
General Olaf: 38GC¤ (20+18)
Haseri: 30GC¤ (20+10)'

Is that an admission of interest/willingness to play, Iggy?

Also, yeah I realize the NES got started quickly. Given how low-input the NES is I probably am going to do an update every two days if I get enough orders in.

Also updates will not normally be as silly as update I.

Beren @ 0808

30 GC¤

1 Star (20GC¤)
1 Medium Gas Giant (10GC¤), Beren b, the system's Prime Jovian.

Spending 23GC¤

Nebula in 1807 (10GC¤)
Nebula in 2008 (10GC¤)
Bank 3GC¤

Also I am reducing the amount of things stars can hold to 6 slots as opposed to 9.

60 GC :)eek:)

20 GC on a star in sector 2209 Name = Varynx
Planets:
10 EP into a medium sized "hot Jupiter" gas giant planet: Varynx I
15 EP into three small terrestrial planets: Varynx II, III, IV

Sorry for missing orders.

theDright: 26GC¤ (20+6)
General Olaf: 38GC¤ (20+18)
Haseri: 30GC¤ (20+10)'

Is that an admission of interest/willingness to play, Iggy?

Also, yeah I realize the NES got started quickly. Given how low-input the NES is I probably am going to do an update every two days if I get enough orders in.

Also updates will not normally be as silly as update I.
I'm interested, definitely, though I'm a bit busy. Might I be able to detonate a fast-burning supergiant which is currently in possession of a young planetary system?

Tambien: 37GC¤ (20+17)

@Iggy: Detonate a star...? I dunno how to model that really. Maybe give a cost to make a star into a red giant (demotes the habitable level down by one in each terrestrial planet), then from that give a price to attempt a roll and have the star either become a white dwarf (which kills off all the terrestrial planet, but frees up the space for another star to be put in the hex) or go supernova (destroys everything in hex, creates a nebula in the hex).

Granted, this is all an oversimplification of the lifespan of stars, and I am not too sure how much I want to make this epoch an offensive one. Maybe just make the GC¤ costs really high? What do you guys think?

edit: I have completed the Star-Map legend for Epoch I. More interstellar objects will likely be put on as we play, though. Check the front page!

Hex 0616

"Ender", Type B main sequence star, surface temp ~23,000K (20¤)

1 small terrestrial planet in a tight, fast orbit. (5¤)

1 small gas giant in a far orbit (5¤)

bank 3¤

Just some forewarning, hbar, I'm not going to model the complexities of size/heat/lifespan of stars and just say that "Stars be stars, yo". The whole White Dwarf/Supernova thing will come in as random chance (i.e. 50/50 chance of going supernova or becoming a white dwarf, unrealistic, but it's a game!), should I choose to add them.

Yeah that is what I am thinking.

Design Document Time:

This epoch (and all epochs, really) are meant to be about creating the galaxy, but it would be boring if all the stars were just normal stars and there were no cool interstellar landmarks, wouldn't it? To that end I introduced 'offensive' means of shaping the galaxy. Comets can destroy planets, or in general mess with them; black holes just destroy a lot of things and then bugger off.

What I am thinking about for the whole Red Giant→White Dwarf/Supernova thing is something along the lines of what you have proposed, Terrance.

Each turn players can spend GC¤ to 'age' a star. Each time a star is 'aged' there is a random chance that it will become a Red Giant; this chance increases incrementally each time the star 'ages'. You can only age a star once per turn, though if two players age a single star then it ages twice as fast (so as to vaguely simulate the hotter, shorter-living stars that exist in our universe).

When a star becomes a Red Giant it causes all the terrestrial planets within the system to move down a level in the 'habitable' rating. Gaian planets become Habitable; Habitable planets become Somewhat Habitable; Somewhat Habitable planets become Inhabitable; and Inhabitable planets remain Inhabitable.

Now, once the star is a Red Giant a player can then spend a large sum of GC¤ to cause the Red Giant to either Supernova or become a White Dwarf. If a Supernova occurs then all interstellar objects in the hex are destroyed and a Nebula forms in the hex; if surrounding hexes are free then there is a slight chance that Nebulas form there as well. If the Red Giant collapses down into a White Dwarf the hex is freed up for a new star to form, potentially creating a 'scenic' hex that has a White Dwarf orbiting a larger star. The planets within a White Dwarf hex are demoted down a spot again (so Habitable→Somewhat Habitable; Somewhat Habitable→Inhabitable; Inhabitable Remains Inhabitable).

Of course all of this would be costly, so as to ensure that we do not have dozens of stars going supernova/white dwarf each turn. The cost to age a star, however, would be reasonable enough.

Projected Costs
Age a Star: 15GC¤ (Each 'Age' of a star increases its chance to become a red giant by 5%; Red Giants cause planet habitable-levels to drop by one)
Cause a Red Giant to Supernova/White Dwarf: 60GC¤ (50/50 chance of either happening; Supernova clears hex and creates a nebula in the hex; White Dwarf causes the hex to be free for a new star & causes planet habitable-levels to drop by one)

What do you guys think? Does it make the game too offensive? Should I up costs?

Just some forewarning, hbar, I'm not going to model the complexities of size/heat/lifespan of stars and just say that "Stars be stars, yo". The whole White Dwarf/Supernova thing will come in as random chance (i.e. 50/50 chance of going supernova or becoming a white dwarf, unrealistic, but it's a game!), should I choose to add them.

Don't worry, just giving some flavor. I neither expect nor anticipate any special outcomes.

hmm, possible change to the nebula supernova explosion.
1 in 3 for each planet to not be destroyed, but flung out of the system on a random straight vector. (1d6, with each number representing a side of the hex.) planet travels 5-10 (1d6+4) away before coming to a stop. if system is between it and the hex it would wind up in, 2 in 3 chance to join system, 1 in 3 chance to act as a comet against a random planet in the system. can increase # of planets past limit. if no planets orbit star in case of comet, planet simply bypasses the system. all planets that travel are instantly rendered inhabitable. planets that end up in a sector with no starts become "rouge" planets. planets without a star. rouge planets have small chance (1 in 20?) to migrate and join a system in an adjacent sector. same 1/3rd chance to become a comet in the system that it joins.

just a bit of random drable that piped into my mind.

Top Bottom