Starting Screenshot

Actually, thinking about it again, I'm not sure I can think of anything that would cause us to want to move. Maybe 2 cows that can be reached by a move north? seems unlikely ;)

A screenie after the worker move would be nice.
The placement of the first city is, uhm... well, important.

Not that I expect any major lures in the fog.

Are we sure about two warriors before the granary/worker?

It's a trade-off - we won't gain much if we don't build the second warrior, the granary is built at the same size as with one warrior - but two turns earlier resulting in 2g extra upkeep without gain. The second warrior we would also want for exploration or MP (to lower luxury -> raise commerce).
As we already found out, our town will grow too big during granary build phase - we should try to keep lux <50%.

The worker delays the granary by 1-2 turns, growth by 2. But he provides roads (commerce) and the floodplain in time. Only drawback is the 1g upkeep we have to pay for the settler (unit #5) while he is on his way - but with a road network that should just take 2-3 turns.

A screenie after the worker move would be nice.
The placement of the first city is, uhm... well, important.

Not that I expect any major lures in the fog.

Well, should we move the worker to the cow and post the screenshot? Once we move the worker there, he's there even if we decide to move the settler. If we don't do a pre-screenie what should the DP look for once the worker moves? What could there be in the fog to cause the DP to stop and post a screenie for the Council to reconsider the decision to settle in place?

That spreadsheet is great. Can we add a column for adjusting the lux rate? I tried using the spreadsheet on the test map and of course Seoul rioted cause I moved the warrior out to simulate exploring. The spreadsheet can be a great instruction sheet for the DP, but like I said we need a lux rate reminder.

What about naming the worker? zyxy that's your call.

Anyone heard from fe?

@donsig: You posted 7xxx posts here and did not know Offa's spread sheet!??! :eek: There are many unknown areas (or areas of the unknowing :D ) in civilvania... :crazyeye:

However that spread sheet is just a planning tool. We will have to watch commerce and luxuries on our own, the chance of making mistakes would be much to high otherwise. And: A fool with a tool is still a fool. :D

Note: Even the Science column is not automated, I put the values there manually - just till turn 20 or so. Corresponding reliable they are... :rolleyes:
and: change "sea" to "lake" please. Old German mistake, that. :blush:

Don't rely too much on that plan but validate it every single turn against the "reality" :old:

I'd also be very surprised to find our worker discovering something that would change our plan for turn 0. I'd like to approximate its chance to 0.0001&#37;. I trust you to stop in such a case and wait for our input. In all other 100% (rounded) cases I would just:

0. (optional) check F7, F8, F11 to discover cheats early on - and see if our first rival settled in place. ;)
1. rename, move the worker,
2. settle in place, name the town,
3. work the cow,
4. set science to 100%,
5. set research to pottery and
6. post screenshot and save.

yup - if you see something when you move the worker that may change your mind that would cause a reason to move,then post something. But it would have to be more compelling than i can think of...

Forgive me for asking something that I could look up (if I took the time ;)), but who is our Turnplayer?

I presume DP refers to the turnplayer, right?

there were 2 nominations, myself and donsig - I said I was happy to let donsig be the first, and no one said anything else, so I am assuming it is donsig.

It was my understanding that it was donsig also... but it's getting kinda late! AutoTeller - if you've got the chance, I personally would like to see you just go ahead and play this first save.

The other teams must be dying with anticipation!

:salute:

I thought we had 48 hours, no? At least that's what donsig said a few posts back.

EDIT: 48 it is, GA's first post in this thread says as much. So no rush.

I get to name the first worker? Well, he will be called zyxy of course! I am looking forward to irrigating that cow already ;)...

Paul's spreadsheet looks good to me.

I presume DP refers to the turnplayer, right?

You are correct. IN the democracy games we call the turnplayer the Designated Player.

Well, I think we're all set with the first turn. Only thing that might upset the apple cart is something unusual after we move the worker to the cow. I'll fire up the game and post a screenie - I can leave the game up for about three hours before ending our turn.

I'll start a new thread and will post a link here.

I'm on aim (donsigw) is any one wants to chat about the turn.

EDIT: I'm back on aim - I was chatting with someone else and missed your invitation General!!!

Okay, I've updated the spread sheet, I also added commerce till Writing (240?) in 2390 BC.
Worker moves after turn 23 depend on directions we want to settle.

Criticism and hints are always welcome :rolleyes:

And remember: No plan survives the enemy contact :old:

In case anything surprising appeared inside our city borders (Did not see any pictures yet :( ), I would revise that sheet.

Settler first szenario
edit: I'm doing some simulation on a warrior-warrior-settler-granary sequence. We could get a settler in turn 15 right on growth to size 4.
I think the granary could be ready by turn 29 at size 4 (but again I have to optimize worker moves to find some missing shields ;) )
Just in case we find a site nearby which is even more appealing or our opponents are so close that we have to grab land or luxuries.

Paul#42, thanks for the spreadsheet, it looks very good to me! One little optimization: it is of course better to work the riverside sugar than the other one, so from the culture expansion until we road this other sugar tile we should work the riverside one.

In the settler first scenarion, perhaps a few more shields could be found by skipping the road on the bg and immediately move worker 1 to the riverside sugar after mining the bg? Or by working the bg from turn 14 onwards?

I would be surprised if we were close to another civ, but we'll see. Another good reason to do settler before granary would be an abundance of food rich lands near our capital.

Which brings up another question: do we use the first warrior for exploration and the second for MP/defense, or the other way around? And shall we explore near or far? My preference would be to explore with the first warrior, initially nearby to find 1 or 2 city spots, and let him travel farther from home after that.

:agree: top priority for our first warrior is to scout the near-by land for settling our Core. We're going to expand slower than our rivals, so it needs to be a top quality expansion! :goodjob:

After the immediate vicinity is nailed down, then he can go looking for trouble.

My 2 cents!

I would not be against using both our warriors for scouting initially. The second should scout close to home to be able to get back if barbies show up. We should still be able to make Pottery in good time with a slightly higher lux rate, no?

Two scouts is fine with me, but one of them should remain close to the capital, against barbs and rivals. We will easily get pottery in time.

Odd... the city screen for turn 5 (in Donsigs counting, i.e., starting at 1) shows we already received the benefit of the irrigation, one turn before we would have received it were this a SP game.

IIRC MP games have peculiarities like this. I wonder what else we find...

Anyway, this probably means that we can further optimize our spreadsheet. Paul, could you do that?

@Donsig: nothing changes for the next few turns. When the town grows, we start working the cow and the riverside sugar. After roading the cow, we mine the bg. And please don't forget to change the lux slider :).

Top Bottom