[R&F] [Story] The Rise

BlueFlamingWings

Chieftain
Hello!

Blue Flaming Wings again. Some of you may remember me from this fanfic that crashed and burned after I had some computer problems. Well, I am back again to try a reboot.

So, first order of business is that I want to push down the Difficulty from Immortal to Emperor. Now this is still a bump up for me – as I’ve said before I normally play on King. Part of the reason why I want to do this is because I don’t want to play as Persia again (and therefore there won’t be that wordplay).

As for who to play instead, I’m thinking Russia but am open to suggestions. Which is why I wanted to post this for discussion. I wanted to see what people’s thoughts were on it. For instance, Australia is pretty OP according to my experience. I’m not sure I want to play them again (even on this higher Difficulty) but I’m sure that whatever civ I play I’ll be able to get a good story going.

Feel free to share your thoughts! I’m eager to get some discussion going!

Like Grue I will be following anyway, but can you do Indonesia if you have the dlc? :)

Hmm. I'm not fully familiar with Indonesia - I'll have to look them up.

Anyways, I already started a game as Russia and am writing. Chapter 1 should be up by the weekend at the latest.

In the beginning, the waters covered all. From the heart of the world to its skin – all was water. And the deep was frozen over too. Ice-laden the waters were as the world was lost in the void. Death held dominion over all.

Then She rose.

She said, “Let there be Life.” And there was Life to oppose the Death that still held sway over the world. She grew out creatures to live in sea, small fishes and crabs and larger things too in time. These creatures had life but not Life. The life they held was frail and weak. If not protected it would be snuffed out and that She could not abide. And so, for the first time She split herself and gave birth to a new Life.

She named this newborn “Cywa”. For She saw her, and her cries shook the waves.

And so, Cywa sunk into the waters, into the depths, and land rose.

It was barren and cold since Death still clung to it.

She would not let that stand.

“My life, my children, shall go forth and multiply over this land. Cold, snow, and ice shall now be my domain. Death shall no longer have it.”

And it was so.

There would be new life and new growth, but She could not do such a feat alone.

For the second time She split.

She named this one, “Tehne.”

The new life came swiftly. Grasses first covered the barren rock, then flowers, and then trees sprout up. Life poured out, fully in Cywa’s domain, and for a time things were good.

But then Death fought for that life too.

When next She split herself with Okhota, to fill the land with moving living things, Death infected it. It poured a bit of itself into the creatures, so they lusted to kill. This desire it called hunger. And for a time, things were born, hungered, ate and died. And such was the balance of things for a long time.
But then she decided “This is not enough. We must make life into Life.”

And so, They crafted man.

First, for the third time, for the final time, She split. “Voleniniye”. She named the new Life.

And Voleniniye brought for new life, the new life that would one day be man, and She filled them with the sacred waters of life – to forevermore be called blood.

Cywa coated the blood with the dust of the world. And earth became flesh.

Both Tehne and Okhoto worked on man next, and they said, “Take both from the fruits of the tree and the meat of the beast, but do not take gluttonously. Eat for you hunger; grow because you must live. But remember this oath.”

And so, they restricted man’s hunger. For this is the way it must be.

However, this was not enough. In these early days, humans were just animals, passionate animals, but animals all the same. More had to be done.

So, She, Mother-of-All, made one final sacrifice.

“I shall tear myself into many small pieces,” She told the Others, “and imbed my Life into them so that they may become truly Alive. From within, I shall watch them, from within my Life will grow, and they shall know that I love them.”

So She spoke and so it was.

We were born upon the shore.

We were born from the ice-laden waters.

Water brings life as our People learned long ago. The Mother-of-All, who lives inside of us, stems from such waters. The frozen tundra, our frozen tundra, is not a place of Death anymore. Life teems beneath the ice, all manner of fish, and that is how we as the People have lived on for so long. But such will not always be the case.

“The lands to the south are rich and fertile, let us go forth and scout out the lands blessed by Cywa.”

And so, the call came. It matters not who the men were who volunteered.

And so, the People Saw through their eyes and watched as those brave men ventured south – through the plains and grasses. They ventured past the Forest of Foxes – further than any man had gone before. Day turned to night, turned to day as at last they passed through the fields of wheat to see what lay beyond.

Trees. Trees without end. Trees to dot the sky. Truly Tehne must dwell here – must possess the bark and fitter among the branches. There could be no other explanation.
But an even bigger shock awaited beyond.

A great expanse of sand and heat awaited beyond the forest. Like the opposite of the Mother’s tundra. We could name the expanse for it was not ours.

Others lived in that expanse. The People were confused in those days. “How can this be?” they asked. “Are we not the People of the Mother? In us is the Life-giving spirit.”
They pleaded with the Mother-of-All and She answered, “In them is not Life but Death. They are only living as the animals do – they belong to Okhota.” [Some manuscripts read: Let us hunt them.]

Such assuage their fears for a time and those men moved on.

Into the Great Forest they moved, and once more they were struck by Tehne’s splendor. Truly, he flowed among the trees. Truly, this place was his home – where divinity touched the mundane world. For a time, those men were lost to us - immersed in a world not their own.

And then they came out.

For a while afterwards, they wandered – trapped in a daze but nonetheless pulsating with Life. The People Looked on with great fear and trembling as those brave men departed even further into the unknown. Then…

In that moment, in the aftermath of their return from the Great Forest, we met the Yerevans for the first time.

Okay, now this is bullfeathers. Now my game won't even load. It crashes during the Russian loading screen. I'll work on it.

Okay, I figured out what's wrong.

I'm not sure how or why but the memory storage on my laptop is deeply in the red. I used the Disk Clean up tool to make a bit of space and I can suddenly load up my Civ game though it doesn't fully work. The screen is yellow and glitchy and laggy. We're going to have someone look at it and hopefully free up even more storage space.

So...yeah...this may take a while.

On the flip side though I do intend to get Gathering Storm for Christmas. Maybe when everything is working again I can switch and make some minor adjustment to the story.

Sorry for the delay.

Hello again.

So, good news is that I have the Memory storage issue dealt with. I uninstalled my Steam games from the C drive and re-installed them on the D drive. Bad news is that it didn't fix the problem.

Does anyone know what display drivers are or how to keep them up to date?

Alright, I fiddled with the settings a bit and now it's working (though I still would like to know what display drivers are).

The next update should be sometime next week.

Edit: Yes, I can just edit a post this time instead of double posting.

So, I just had a thought - Christmas is going to be in a few days and I'm almost definitely going to get Gathering Storm (through Steam gift cards). As such, it may be wise to restart the thread (once again) to try it out. The Maori in particular fit in very well with the Creation myth I thought up (The Settler and Warrior literally come out of the water). And I can probably get a God(dess) of the Sea start. But I'm not too crazy about restarting the thread again.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Words.

Language.

Records.

Records of a lost world. The history, the tales, of that lost world.

It’s strange to think that before this moment our People had no way to pass down knowledge to their descendants. It still did not in truth for years to come. But on that fateful day, the Warriors of the Mother-of-All met the men from Yereven on the grassy slopes that hugged the waters’ edge. Voleniya’s waters. They fed from the sea and snaked south, split, then faded twice into the unknown. The village of the Yerevans was inscribed with runes and symbols carved into wood.

Such was the first time we had seen it – written word.

We were then drawn south – back to the Great Forest. The domain of Tehne called to us – drew us back to it’s embrace. To both the Warriors and those at home - all were called through the pulsating Life in their veins. The gift of the Mother.

But we were all collectively brought out of our daze.

Unlike those from within the heat and unlike the as-of-yet unnamed or befriended Yerevans these ones we just instinctively distrusted and hated. The “hospitality” they showed revealed much – they were gluttons through and through. Feasting on odd orange fruits and meat from cattle that grazed right outside the village walls. They even told us tales of strange, exotic beasts of burden that swiftly moved like the wind and had corded muscles about their frames.

Animals.

Vile animals.

We left and could not leave quick enough.

We were drawn back to the Great Forest. A tugging that resonated through the Life within. Incessant and commanding. The Warriors of the Mother-of-All heeded the call, but then stopped once more.

They met yet new faces.

The troops from below were not unknown to us. The stranger thing by far was the lone man across the river. He seemed … different … than the Others we had met so far. The Sight showed that the life within him was not true Life. He did not even possess the animalistic life that the Others possessed. No, Death had grasped a hold of him.

And as we later found – many others too.

We followed them to these odd one’s lair. An encirclement of wood and stone. On the crest of a hill, the Warriors (and we as well) watched with wide eyes as two forces collided. But that surprise did not compare to what came next.

They came out from the city on the banks. These vile ones moved up to surround the “Others of Death”. They moved swiftly and surely. And they moved with strength. From the hilltop we watched as they descended on these Others with torch and blood.

There was no doubt about it … Vilnus was strong.

After that moment, the Warriors of the Mother-of-All continued venturing south. But they were not the only ones we sent out. Two other groups left as well, though we all were connected. We all shared in the Life. We all were the People.

And the tale of these two must be told.

A/N: So, this ended up being a very small snippet (only 10 turns) but I decided to do at least a couple more updates before I reboot things again for Gathering Storm in February.

Also, for those who’ve been following me since Immortals you may realize that this story is more generalized (less focused on a single cast of characters) than its predecessor - that’s intentional.

Last edited:
There, to the east, where the flat plains of our people end lie a stretch of land that will forevermore be known as the Stychka Hills. A group of our people, ones wielding rocks and cloth slings, ventured towards those hills. And we Saw through them – we watched as those hills came into view, one after another.

And then we met them.

These strangers did not speak like us. Their words, their language, felt both foreign and indistinct. Similar in some regards to those Others in the south – beyond the Great Forest. Though those similarities, we were able to catch ahold of one word:

Hospitality.

We refused and parted ways … politely of course.

Meanwhile a similar group went west. They went pass our people’s plains that housed flowing waters. They ventured forth into the unknown. The first sign that this land was different than the one to come before was the dirt. It was hardened and packed and frost-covered, the grasses had withered away to make way for barren tundra.

But…

More than just that…

Smoke issued out from the top of it – long and narrow; a hazy column.

It jutted up from that snow-covered ground. We had seen such elevations before, “mountains” both to the west where we had encountered the English for the first time and to the far east – right there near it, where a mountain range enclosed the city of Yerevan in it’s confines.

We knew we had to claim it. Both the group of scouts and us at home. We could feel it. The land called to us. The Mother of All had claimed those frozen lands for her own.

Even if others dwelt there.

On a hill that hugged the newly dubbed “Mount Slava” we overlooked the encampment and the village of the mad men of Death. We watched then the group on the hill moved – falling back before the snowy slope could be made into a battlefield.

But as we marched back, they marched forward. At the foot of the hill we watched as those unknown men crossed the hilltop – wielding long pointed sticks. They were more battered and bruised than we had seen from a far – exhausted from the trek too.

But we did not have long to study them as the group out in the field attacked.

Rocks and heavy stones were hurled through the air – a verifiable shower to rain down on our foe. Men dropped one after another – so much so it was surprising there were any survivors. They broke – retreating away from the high ground to flee to the encampment. Cresting the hill revealed a sight all of us knew to be true but found surprising nonetheless…

Those who inhabited these lands had been decimated by forces unknown –

But not unknown for much longer.

One of our wandering ones found it out first. He ventured to the far east – in the hilly lands right above our plains. It was there that he saw. And therefore, we Saw.

Men from Yerevan (this is when we learned their people’s name) were coming up in mass and in might. Ready to lay low these foul ones. They came with rock and wood just as we do. As they approached, the cowardly men of Death, who howled and clawed at the bark of the trees fled to the north.

Our scout then lead the way in, and these men from Yerevan surrounded the encampment as it burned. As the last of Death in those lands held no more sway.

For it forevermore be ours.

A/N: Okay, I got that done in time for Gathering Storm.

I know I was rushing things before a new thread but hope people are at least somewhat satisfied with that ending.

I’ll post a link when the third thread is out.

Top Bottom