Strange religion-civ combos.

Just your regular demonic corruption, with Tasunke and Hippus ruling classes becoming drunk on power and making a deal with Hyborem to increase their power. Tasunke is no paragon of virtue, so that scenario isn't improbable.

Or the Hippus could simply be hired by the demons, with a requirement of the deal being the worship of the demons. With that explanation, the Hippus could worship any religion (Well, except the Empyrean as I doubt they would ever employ mercenaries or force their religion on someone).

I could see the Empyrean hiring mercenaries, but probably only for defensive wars. Forcing their religion does not seem right though.

I could see the Empyrean hiring mercenaries, but probably only for defensive wars. Forcing their religion does not seem right though.

Ironically, that might make the Hippus more likely to follow the Empyrean, though at first only out of a mixture of curiosity and wanting to spite the other, more actively proselytizing, religions.

Empyrean Svartalfar: "There is no shadows without light and light can't be properly appreciated without dark. Shadow and Sun are not antagonists, but two sides of the same coin".

Plus blah blah blah redemption blah blah, or course. :)

:bump:
From a recent game: The Elohim as Council of Esus. For some reason, I see them as a cross between Buddhist monks and ninjas. Yes, ninjas. FfH needs more ninjas, no? :lol:
Really, though, I couldn't imagine CoE Elohim as anything else. I also imagine they'd become, while still noble, far more pragmatic after adopting the ways of Esus. They'd give you shelter, but would watch you more carefully then the Elohim of old. Less trusting, more secretive, and more willing to use force to defend the sacred.

whats the point of ninjas ? they would just get thier asses handed to them by the lanun every game.........

I never had an issue with Empy/Calabim - after all, through a lot of modern history people ascribe god-like portfoilos to things that can hurt or kill - Zeus and his thunderbolts, for instance. While for a lot of people, the sun means light and life, for the Calabim it represents a terror that wounds them each day, forces them inside, weakens them. I can understand, then, how worship of it might start, first underground then spreading.

But typically the god who does evil things (or on whose behalf evil things are done) has benevolent qualities, too.

I don't think that a Lich could be Good. Neutral is fine though.

The Ljosalfar and Khazad are pretty closely tied to FoL and RoK. I don't think they are bound to these religions, but not everything makes sense for them. The Order actually fits the Dwarves' theme pretty well (at least their hero, Maros, joined the Order), but AV and OO don't really. For some reason I think that the Empyrean fits the Ljosalfar pretty well, although I'm not sure why. Esus is wrong for them though; if they adopt that, then haven't they really just surrendered to the Svartalfar?

Way for me to quote a post from a long, long time ago, but...

I once played a game a long time ago as the Ljosalfar where I predictably accepted FoL and spread it and there was all tree hugging goodness, until I founded the Empyrean and decided I wanted to do that instead. So I converted, converted all of my cities, conquered an evil country, and then converted most of the world, even the Evil civilizations, who redeemed themselves in the Light of Lugus.

Not technically a religion/civ combo, per say, but I've recently wondered what a Grigori religious victory with Ashen Veil would look like. Capture the city, build the Stigmata with a Great Person, and let the rest of the world follow...

But what would it look like? Story wise?

'The Grigori are the ones to figure out how to tame the excesses of the Veil, let us follow them?'

Grigori cant win Religous Victories- you have to own the holy city and have the religion as a State Religion, which the Grigori obviously cant.

Really, Grigori AV is simply the corruption amongst men and the idea that every man can be an adventurer, according to their own ideas as an adventurer, whether that be to pillage and plunder or to rape and maim, is unique to the individuals interpretation of Cassiel's philosophy.

One of my favs is the xenophobic AV Luchuirp who believe that their golems are superior to people. They want to replace people with golems, not because they believe people deserve to die or anything, but because they see people as imperfect, flawed in design, and think they can do better. They'd eventually bring armageddon as a way to clean up and remove the unnecessary people, leaving their perfect world of immaculate beings. To top it off they create flesh golems--ironically using body magic, which would otherwise be useless to them--to assimilate the survivors, as if to say "we can even do a better job with living tissue." They see the flesh golems as transcendance to perfection through design.

One of my favs is the xenophobic AV Luchuirp who believe that their golems are superior to people. They want to replace people with golems, not because they believe people deserve to die or anything, but because they see people as imperfect, flawed in design, and think they can do better. They'd eventually bring armageddon as a way to clean up and remove the unnecessary people, leaving their perfect world of immaculate beings. To top it off they create flesh golems--ironically using body magic, which would otherwise be useless to them--to assimilate the survivors, as if to say "we can even do a better job with living tissue." They see the flesh golems as transcendance to perfection through design.

all this has happened before, and all this will happen again?

BSG, eh?

:borg::borg::assimilate: much? Also sounds a bit like the FF+ Mechanos. Although your AV Luchiurp does make sense, but the only issue is that not even Barnaxus can withstand a volcano.

It does raise the question- can Nonliving units get religions? If so, A horde of AV Golems would be a sight to see.

The machine spirits which power the Mechanos machinery are born from the guilty that Barnaxus felt when Mulcarn had him create Ice Golems during the Age of Ice. They are fiercely agnostic because from their perspective the Gods stood by and failed to intervene during that age. They don't have a religion so much as faith in Science over the Gods.

It is strongly speculated, if not actually proven, that their tech-priests caste have "upgraded" their bodies to machine rather than biological form. They certainly use machinery when healing (think pace-maker), and some of this machinery may contain resident machine spirits.

It does raise the question- can Nonliving units get religions? If so, A horde of AV Golems would be a sight to see.

Only living units are automatically given religions based on what religions are present in the city that builds them, but it is certainly possible to give non-living units religions either through their xml defines (in which case all units of that type would start with the religion) or using python.

Non-living units would not return as angels or manes based on religion though.

Bannor/OO would certainly be off the charts, as well... I can't really imagine that one.

I may be cynical, but I don't see any difference between Order and OO as far as their control goes. The difference between Unyielding Order and Tower of Complacency is mostly semantic, the difference being that Order demands subservience, while OO imposes it. I can imagine OO taking advantage of the Bannor's hierarchy and lack of individualism. That goes for the Bannor people at least. I can't imagine Sabathiel allowing it.

Top Bottom