Strategic Resource Bombing / Modern Paratroopers...

YoungEagle

Chieftain
I've been experimenting with waging an offensive war in a Democracy, trying to minimize the effects of war weariness. In my current C3C v1.15 game as the Ottomans, I'm at war with Arabia. Both of us are researching modern techs.

With this in mind, I have 2 questions.

1. Is the AI able to secure strategic resources when I have bombed that tile to no improvements?

Since I'm trying to minimize war weariness - I'm using bombers and stealth bombers to deny the AI it's strategic resources. Here is what is happening... I bomb a tile with rubber until every unit is killed, then I bomb the rails and the roads. Next turn I check, not by sight but with the "bomb" cursor - to see if that tile can be bombed again. If so, I bomb the road they have rebuilt on their last turn. This goes on and on. I bomb - they reroad - I bomb - they reroad. Is this doing any good? Are they able to secure that resource each turn and build modern units or not?

2. Can paratroopers land directly on a city tile if that city has no defense?

I have a beachhead city in mind for invasion. It is centrally located in the middle of their continent- but it's in the back of a narrow bay. My issue is that my transports will end their turn in enemy territory before I can get to the city (bad for war weariness). If I kill all the defenders with my bombers, can I para-drop onto that defensless city tile?

1. Yes they get the resource. I don't think you can kill workers with bombing. Every turn they reroad the tile which gives them the resource.

2. Paratroops can't land on citys.

But, if you've cratered the tile they need to repair the damage before they get the resource back, even if they've got a road through the tile.

If the AI is reroading before cleaning damage, then bombing the roads forces them to rebuild the road, and the workers can't do anything else.

1. Road - access, no road - no access. But maybe there is another spot with the resources in question they control, for instance under one of their cities.

2. I think bombers cannot kill units, just damage into 1 hp. They work like any other artillery units.

Originally posted by Szpoti
1. Road - access, no road - no access. But maybe there is another spot with the resources in question they control, for instance under one of their cities.

2. I think bombers cannot kill units, just damage into 1 hp. They work like any other artillery units.

Szpoti, I think you're talking about pre-C3C versions of Civ3. Have you seen bomber/artillery cratering in your games? Also, bombers can sink naval units now.

Originally posted by

Szpoti, I think you're talking about pre-C3C versions of Civ3. Have you seen bomber/artillery cratering in your games? Also, bombers can sink naval units now.

Oh, sorry. I did not know something had been changed that dramatically. Yes, I was talking about original version indeed then.

BTW, I like your avatar, IglooDude:)

Thanks for the info guys :)

I will bomb the tiles, hoping to crater them.

I also may switch my invasion point so I don't have to go so far within the enemy's border and use Marines instead.

sometimes a helpful thing to do is to bomb all tiles surounding the rubber, so you can manage the stuff, that while they are spreadout over 2 squares re-roading, you can manage bombing the stuff

Resource bombing was my primary war strategy pre-PTW. When guerilla's came around with PTW, it didn't really pay off any more.

Thanks ybbor - hadn't thought of widening my bombing pattern :)

Also - If I air drop paratroopers can they move on the same turn?

Originally posted by Shabbaman
Resource bombing was my primary war strategy pre-PTW. When guerilla's came around with PTW, it didn't really pay off any more.

Why not?
I don't have PTW so i have no clue.

Top Bottom