Succession Game - Hot Culture Day

abudabulabu

Chieftain
Hi,

I would like to try a succession game with the goal to achieve cultural victory. Never won that way though, but it would be fun to try. So, the settings would be:

Difficulty level: Prince
Map type: Continents
Map size: Normal
Victory conditions: Only cultural victory.
Leader: I think best would be a Spiritual leader, we can get two early religions because we start with Mysticism, so we get Polytheism (Hinduism) - then Masonry and skip Meditation (Buddhism) - Monotheism (Judaism), but we don't have a state religion, so our main city would have discovered two religions, so double holy city and get +10 culture per turn, only from religions. If we make any of the religions the state one, we get only +5 culture and one happines.

So, we are playing with Gandhi.

Everything else normal, so normal amount of civs for map size, normal barbarians etc.

EDIT: because settings are decided.

Hi. I would like to join in this game. I don't usually go for a cultural victory so I would like to give this game a try.

These are my suggestions:
Difficulty: Prince
Map type: Continents
Map size: Normal
Leader: Ghandi? Spiritual is nice as you mentioned and philosophical would give us more great artists.

By the way, are we playing with patch 3.19?

Yes, we are playing with 3.19.

I agree with map type and size.

I totally forgot that Ghandi is Phi/Spi, i think he is a good choice. Then i am for him.

And last, i agree with difficulty level, especially if we are going with Ghandi. He is powerful for cultural victory.

There are some other leaders that you might want to consider, too, as a few start with Mysticism even though they are not spiritual.

Huayna Capac is Financial and Industrious. You may be able to leverage those traits to both get a tech lead and utilize your Industrious bonus to snag the high-culture wonders.

There are actually a few others, like Charlemagne and Wang Kon, but they don't really have any traits that lend themselves well to a Cultural Victory. Gandhi is still a good choice though, so long as you make sure you're getting a lot of Great Artists.

Huayna Capac is, as you say, also a good choice, but i prefer Gandhi, because of double GPP, tha allows us a Great Artist factory.

If we get a city (first or second) on a position with lots of food, and we will find that place, we go for Parthenon as early as we can in that city, and quickly on Code of Laws, adopt Caste System, add Philosophical trait (double GPP) and we have an early Great Artist factory.

EDIT: Forgot about the game speed. I would go for normal or epic, not marathon or quick. We will see.

Oh, and Whosit, are you joining us?

I'm afraid that I won't be joining you since I'm already in 3 games at the moment and my life schedule is likely to get busier in the near future. But I wish you all luck.

One last thing: I've found that most SGs are run on Epic speed, and I think that is because Epic has more turns over the course of the game, so it provides more turns for all the players. You can probably ask someone who's been playing SGs longer for a better answer, though.

lurker's comment:
Most SGs *are* in epic, but, especially for a culture game, it doesn't matter all that much. not to mention saving yourself all the extra turns of "Push Enter" at the end of any game.

also, try advertisign in the top thread of the forum if you want to drum up more players

I will urk around and keep an eye on this if I can?

I only got my first Culture Victory not long ago. It didnt happen until about 2010 (thats game time ;)) and my score was rubbish but it felt good to finally do it. I was Ghandi and only had 5 cities. I never once declared war or was declared on so a peaceful cultural victory!

Of course you can :)

Ok, maybe if i start this some more interest will appear :D

These are the settings:

And this is our starting location:

I think we should settle in place, any other suggestions? Maybe to scout one move with warrior, to lets say northwest?

lurker's comment:
i would move the warrior onto the village, and myabe the settler onto the plains river hill. if there's a viable food soruce, nothing beats a plains river hill for a city tile.

Pigs and wine. I would move first the warrior to the forested hill 1NE.

So i go to the forested hill 1NE and discover...

No resources :(

I am for settling in place. If E.mc agrees with that, I'm gonna play first 20 turns or so, and then post log and screenshots.

Lurker fun fact of the day: Also note that settling on the wine would give you a 2:commerce: city-center tile! Not that I would necessarily recommend that, although a winery isn't that great of a tile improvement. But if you, say, wanted to take a run at early religions or something like that, it might not be a bad idea :D

I vote for settling in place.

Lurker fun fact of the day: Also note that settling on the wine would give you a 2 :commerce:city-center tile! Not that I would necessarily recommend that, although a winery isn't that great of a tile improvement. But if you, say, wanted to take a run at early religions or something like that, it might not be a bad idea

If we want a run at early religions, and we want that, i vote for settling in place and working the wine tile to be sure we grab one.

I'm ok with you starting by playing a set of 20-30 turns. I think we should go for buddhism if we aim at one early religion, or hindu if we want to grab judaism too.

Could I join up in this game?

I am also a big fan of settling in place, would probably pick that route as well. Does someone know the exact figures we'd need to reach on normal speed to achieve a cultural victory?

It's 50,000 culture for legendary on normal speed.

If you are not full I would love to join. Not the greatest start but i would settle in place, work the wine tile as suggested and head for Hinduism.

Top Bottom