Sugar is toxic

Are you going to change how much sugar you intake because of this news story?

• Yes I will reduce my sugar intake

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • No I will keep it the same or increase it

Votes: 43 89.6%

• Total voters
I figured it'd come across as a joke. :p
You figured right.

I agree that it's disingenuous to pretend that the source of the substances in HFCS has any bearing on what it is: sugar and water.
I agree, though just sugar really.

Like 99% of honey. What I don't understand is why candy made by bees is sooo much better than candy made in a factory, but oh well whatever. :dunno:
And we're 99% monkey. Guess we'll both have to agree on oh well, whatever.

Oreos are just superior.
I ate a whole box of them once but I wouldn't recommend it. :ack:

It was meant to make the ice-cream cost $25000 and make whoever was eating it break the Guinness World Record for the most expensive ice-cream ever.
What a frivorlus record.

What's wrong with rice pasta?
Nothing, though certain brands are better than others. Just saying a hunter-gatherer might not immediately recognize it as food (on the Michael Pollen tangent), well uncooked anyway, they'd probably recognize it as food once they smelled it cooking.

What I don't understand is why candy made by bees is sooo much better than candy made in a factory, but oh well whatever. :dunno:

Because it's made by bees rather than made in a factory.

I agree, though just sugar really.

What? HFCS has a bunch of water, as does every food that's wet. (except foods wet with oil)

Because it's made by bees rather than made in a factory.
You guys are stating something honey=hfcs without any evidence. Our Lucy's 99%=100% math. You can speculate on my motives 'till the cows come home but you're the ones making the positive claim that a=b. I'm not even stating anything for sure though I would be willing to put money on honey as being less destructive than hfcs or cane sugar if ever a large study was begun.

I am curious why this is such a reactive issue.

What? HFCS has a bunch of water, as does every food that's wet. (except foods wet with oil)
Plenty of dry foods have HFCS in them.

You guys are stating something honey=hfcs without any evidence. Our Lucy's 99%=100% math. You can speculate on my motives 'till the cows come home but you're the ones making the positive claim that a=b. I'm not even stating anything for sure though I would be willing to put money on honey as being less destructive than hfcs or cane sugar if ever a large study was begun.

I just went through the entire thread again, I haven't made any claim about the health effects of honey, Lucy and you have respectively:

"It's not quite as bad."

and

"Not even close to as bad. Processed sugar isn't really a food, it's more like a drug."

Since compositionally, HFCS and honey are nearly the same, the first statement seems like a pretty reasonable default assumption, without any further data.

More fun stuff: My father was a beekeeper for several decades. It's standard practice to feed hives sugar over the winter rather than leaving them adequate honey. You can feed bees either pure granulated sugar mixed with water, or HFCS, but they can't handle unrefined sugars. (brown sugar, molasseses, etc.) Feeding bees sugar can actually be better for the health of the hives than leaving them with certain low-quality kinds of honey.

Plenty of dry foods have HFCS in them.

"According to the USDA, HFCS consists of 24% water"

I ate a whole box of them once but I wouldn't recommend it. :ack:
I wouldn't recommend not sharing either. Everyone should bask in the glory of Oreos.
Narz said:
What a frivorlus record.
Read for yourself.
Narz said:
Nothing, though certain brands are better than others. Just saying a hunter-gatherer might not immediately recognize it as food (on the Michael Pollen tangent), well uncooked anyway, they'd probably recognize it as food once they smelled it cooking.
:scan:
Plenty of dry foods have HFCS in them. are made with HFCS
FTFY.

I am curious why this is such a reactive issue.

Don't put numbers in my posts. I never said 99%=100%. I never said honey=HFCS. I said the difference isn't enough to make honey health food if table sugar is merely a drug.

"According to the USDA, HFCS consists of 24% water"

Regardless of the USDA's definition, you can find HFCS high in the ingredients of a lot of dry goods. Bread, for instance, especially white bread, and many cereals. You'll be surprised by its ubiquity.

Regardless of the USDA's definition, you can find HFCS high in the ingredients of a lot of dry goods. Bread, for instance, especially white bread, and many cereals. You'll be surprised by its ubiquity.

Bread isn't really dry, Google/Snopes says bread is about 1/3 water by mass. (So bread is wetter than pure HFCS)

Even if you take the effort to remove all the water from HFCS, it's not really syrup anymore then.

Many dry foods have water content in them. Especially fruits and vegetables, but also bread too. There's a reason you don't actually have to drink 8 glasses of water a day to survive and not get sick, it's because most foods have water content in them.

Yeah, personally I feel much, much better in life when I'm eating a bunch of high water content food. A whole cantaloupe melon for instance probably has more total simple sugars than a candy bar but it leaves me feeling great.

Top Bottom