Suggestion on Elections

Knight-Dragon

Unhidden Dragon
Retired Moderator
Suggestions : -

1) We shld set up a separate independent Elections Commission. To organise elections, watch campaigning (or lack of) etc. Members cannot run for office.
2) Voting shld be in secret. Maybe nominations too. So shldn't talk about who you voted for in the polls. (We need an ethics code or something).
3) There shld be timelines and certain datelines for nominations, acceptance of nominations, actual voting etc. So that everyone will know when to nominate, vote, and get the next cabinent in place on time.
4) Shld voting be compulsory? Maybe not ....
5) I think only the Pres and VP shld be elected. Then they can nominate their Cabinet, subject by approval by us, the electorate. Otherwise, election and campaigning will take some time and a lot of voting .... Harder to organise.

Any more?

elections should be done through polls at this forum

polls will allow for private but public elections

in my mind, I can see it...
the 9 "elections" thread.
each position will be voted on. after voting is over, all votes in this thread are erased, the polls cleared {by a moderator} and wait next election time...

or

we all send in our votes, via PM, to a non-partisan "Chief Electorial Officer" who can be a member, but cant run for office. I would offer to be this person. I will post here in this thread a run-off stragety for elections

1) We shld set up a separate independent Elections Commission. To organise elections, watch campaigning (or lack of) etc. Members cannot run for office.

Don't know exactly what you mean by this.Members can not run for office anyway i think.

2) Voting shld be in secret. Maybe nominations too. So shldn't talk about who you voted for in the polls. (We need an ethics code or something).

Maybe something for later.Voting is secret, anyway.If you wan't to say for who you voted ,no probl. ,i can do that in real life to. :)

) There shld be timelines and certain datelines for nominations, acceptance of nominations, actual voting etc. So that everyone will know when to nominate, vote, and get the next cabinent in place on time.

Already done ,check corn's explainetory post.

I don't know what compulsory mean's :)

5) I think only the Pres and VP shld be elected. Then they can nominate their Cabinet, subject by approval by us, the electorate. Otherwise, election and campaigning will take some time and a lot of voting .... Harder to organise.

Sorry ,don't like it.since the pres. is chosen from the leaders ,if they choose the leader's our democracy could end up in a tyrany. :lol:

Originally posted by Knight-Dragon
Suggestions : -

That duty is given to the Information Officer. Actually, besides taking over for the Pres. that is his ONLY duty.

Well...so long as people don't post who they voted for...it would be secert. I don't think further steps on privacy should be taken. Just need people to be honest and not say the results after they vote. If it's a problem...then we can do it via PM or something. But that takes MUCH longer, and is more of a hassle.

3) There shld be timelines and certain datelines for nominations, acceptance of nominations, actual voting etc. So that everyone will know when to nominate, vote, and get the next cabinent in place on time.

In the rules...and I quote:
"On turn 24 of the term, nominations begin. On turn 29 the Information Officer would post polls for all positions of nominated members. On turn 31 a winner is declared, and a new term begins."

I don't really think it's necessary to make it compulsury....some people may be out of town etc....and can't vote. Then we would have to wait for them...which could hold up the game for some weeks.

If we appoint people it wouldn't be too fair either. And would kind of debunk the "Democracy" idea.

We all vote for all people, we rank them, frist to last.
example

Pellaken
Corn Master
Duck

the votes are then totaled, and persentages worked out
Pellaken 31% of the vote
Corn 30% of the vote
Duck 20%
Someone 10%
Someoneelse 9%

Someoneelse is tehn dropped, and everyone that voted for him, votes for thier second choise

Pellaken 31
Corn 30
Duck 29
Someone 10
'someoneelse was Ducks friend and asked everyone to vote for Duck'

someone is dropped, so everyone that voted for him votes for thier second chouise. everyone that voted for someoneelse as 1 and someone as 2, goes with thier 3rd choise

then

Pellaken 32
Corn 34
Duck 34

then
Corn 49
Duck 51

*talking like in a commercial* HEY! wait a minute... wasent Duck in 3rd place way back there?? If we went the old way, Corn would be #2 and Pellaken #1, well its clear everyone would like Duck to be #1 !! so, adopt the Pellaken Voting System Today!!! :D

I LOVE votes, so if we go with the chief electorial officer bit, I'll voloenteer

argg!!! AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

between the time I wrote that last post, and was able to get online to post it, Corn posted something else...

anyways
I am cool :cool:

for run-off purposes, we should do it Via PM, as I said, if you cant handle it, I can as Chief Electorial Officer. I will keep that position for the entire game, and will therefore, not be any cabinet minister

:king: Reaction of the president :king:

I ,president Ducky I ,really am growing tired of the way certain inhabitant's of his realm try to push their oppinion's.:(
I hereby declare that one particular inhabitant is just one post away of being run through the Guillotine. :)

Seriously pellaken ,no grudge on youre idea's.The voting system is not bad but it's not practical.

:king: The president: Ducky I

"That duty is given to the Information Officer. Actually, besides taking over for the Pres. that is his ONLY duty."

What if he's been nominated to the same office second time straight? Then he's got to run his own election?

"Well...so long as people don't post who they voted for...it would be secert. I don't think further steps on privacy should be taken. Just need people to be honest and not say the results after they vote. If it's a problem...then we can do it via PM or something. But that takes MUCH longer, and is more of a hassle."

I see. Point taken. What about nominations? What if the same person's nominated to more than one post?

"In the rules...and I quote:
"On turn 24 of the term, nominations begin. On turn 29 the Information Officer would post polls for all positions of nominated members. On turn 31 a winner is declared, and a new term begins.""

I see again.

"I don't really think it's necessary to make it compulsury....some people may be out of town etc....and can't vote. Then we would have to wait for them...which could hold up the game for some weeks."

I see yet again. I must be blind.

"If we appoint people it wouldn't be too fair either. And would kind of debunk the "Democracy" idea."

Elaboration. What I mean is we elect the President and the Vice-Pres directly. Maybe they shld run as a team like in the US. Then the winner will get to nominate ppl for posts in his cabinet. Nominate only. Only. For each nomination, it'll have to be approved by us (thru a poll). It'll cut down on concurrent campaigning and voting for so many posts.

I don't know - maybe I'm just being stupid. This is probably a bad idea. Pls ignore it, thanks. :)

"Don't know exactly what you mean by this.Members can not run for office anyway i think."

Current cabinet members can still run for a 2nd term, no? What I mean is ppl in the Elections Comm cannot run for office.

"I don't know what compulsory mean's :)"

Means you must vote (unless you got an excuse). Otherwise there will be ...... unpleasantries. In some countries, voting is compulsory.

"Sorry ,don't like it.since the pres. is chosen from the leaders ,if they choose the leader's our democracy could end up in a tyrany. :lol:"

See point in above post. What I mean is won P and VP gets to nominate ppl in their cabinet. These ppl need to be approved thru polls by us almighty voters.

Like I said in my earlier post, maybe I'm just being idiotic. Pls ignore this suggestion, thanks. :)

PS I think Pellaken's voting sys is way too complicated. A simple majority will do IMHO.

I see now that the Pres can only be elected fr among the present cabinet members. Somehow I miss that. Sorry for raising all the huhah. Pls consider this thread scrapped for now. :)

Originally posted by TheDuckOfFlanders
:king: Reaction of the president :king:

I ,president Ducky I ,really am growing tired of the way certain inhabitant's of his realm try to push their oppinion's.:(
I hereby declare that one particular inhabitant is just one post away of being run through the Guillotine. :)

Seriously pellaken ,no grudge on youre idea's.The voting system is not bad but it's not practical.

:king: The president: Ducky I

*cough, cough* The DEMOCRACY game?!?
Pellakens ideas are not the best ones, but let him be now post his useless posts.
When nobody likes his ideas, then he understands that he's just wasting his time :D

Originally posted by Knight-Dragon
[BI see. Point taken. What about nominations? What if the same person's nominated to more than one post? [/B]

I assumed the nomination process would work something like this: no campaigning because it would take up too high of a percentage of each term, when its time to nominate citizens that want to nominate someone just PM the Information Officer with names of people and the corresponding position(s), the Information Officer PMs those who have been nominated asking if they accept, and then those who were nominated PM back to the Information Officer with their response.

I checked the rules and found that there is nothing mentioned about how nominations will work. I think somewhere someone decided that we could nominate ourselves, and someone also suggested that nominations could be done by pm. I would humbly like to request that Corn include some election rules in the rules post.

Questions to be answered:
Can a person be nominated for more than one office?

If so, what if they win two or more spots.

What are the rules on the secrecy thing? Can we share who we voted for or not? What about nominations?

The Prez comes from the 7 other cabinent members. Are all of these automatically nominated?

What about a minister who wants to run for Pres, but also wants to hold onto minister's job if they don't win? If they win Pres, does second place become the minister and third the deputy?

There is a two term limit for cabinent members. What about deputies? (Who get their job by being second.) Can a two term deputy run for the minister's position in his own office? What if he comes in second? (Thus making him a three term deputy).

Thoughts and opinions on these questions? We have some time before the first election, but the more we can nail down before a disputed sitiuation comes up, the better. I think.

here's the info on election's

Terms last 30 turns

Two terms maximum in a row at one position. But can be elected for other positions at end of two terms. Also can get former position once out of it for a term.

President can only be elected from remaining cabinet members. Other department heads are elected from the general players. Runner-ups for department heads automatically become deputy leaders for that area, for the term.

On turn 24 of the term, nominations begin. On turn 29 the information officer would post polls for all positions of nominated members. On turn 31 a winner is declared, and a new term begins. We will allow Self-Nomination.

here's a link to the rules thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11396

"how will VOTING work"

On the two days in which you can vote you log on to CfC,

"How will votes be held? through polls? PM's?"

and vote on the polls for each candidate.

"How will you win, most votes, or 50%+1?"

The candidate with the most votes wins,

"most votes, what in the event of a tie?"

and in the event of a tie, we panic becauseour democracy has run into an obstacle.

THANK YOU, sixchan, for answering my questions. atleast someone is paying attention to me :)

check out my non-binding poll about elections as well, I have put my idea, and corns idea, as well as a compromised position

I realised last night that my idea would take a long long long long long time to count the votes.

edit-
well the non-binding poll seems to support the original idea. it jsut goes to prove, if no one will answer your question, answer it yourself :)

now we need to work out what to do in evernt of a tie, my idea, let the prez decide

Top Bottom