Suggestions and Requests

Can you go through Github?

Would it be a good idea to have an indicator a city has clean power? My idea is that the normal yellow thunderbolt is shown if you have normal power and a green thunderbolt if you have clean power. Dirty power in DoC has a much bigger gameplay impact, so I think it is nice if you can easily see which cities are affected by dirty power and which ones do have clean power already. It also saves the effort to manually check which cities make use of the clean power or Itaipu Dam and which cities are not affected by it (and require an hydro dam or solar plant).

If desired, I can include this in my upcoming PR with the Frontenac fix.

Would it be a good idea to have an indicator a city has clean power? My idea is that the normal yellow thunderbolt is shown if you have normal power and a green thunderbolt if you have clean power. Dirty power in DoC has a much bigger gameplay impact, so I think it is nice if you can easily see which cities are affected by dirty power and which ones do have clean power already. It also saves the effort to manually check which cities make use of the clean power or Itaipu Dam and which cities are not affected by it (and require an hydro dam or solar plant).
In principle a good idea, but please make the colors really really distinct for us poor colorblind folk.

I would prefer separate pull requests for separate features.

But otherwise this is a good idea. Don't know if green is the right colour though, green can also look unhealthy.

Last edited:
My reasoning for making it green was that it refers to "green energy".

I think either white or blue are suitable alternative colors for clean energy.

Last edited:
Speaking of clean power, is it possible to have 'clean power' plants (e.g. hydro plants) make coal plants go obsolete in that city so the umhealth penalty is no longer present?

That is already what is happening. The building remains, but you do not get any unhealth from power anymore.

Speaking of clean power, is it possible to have 'clean power' plants (e.g. hydro plants) make coal plants go obsolete in that city so the umhealth penalty is no longer present?
That is already what is happening. The building remains, but you do not get any unhealth from power anymore.
This confusion underlines the importance of signaling the presence of green energy in the interface.

Can France be made a contested territory for England for a time ? Perhaps part of an alternative course for England. I'm thinking of a choice based strategy similar to the Mongol game in RFCA. It could be interesting for England.

Also, how about giving the Philippines to the USA ?

I suggest making Clean Power not just a color swap but also slightly different texture wise as well.

Perhaps dirty power can have a sharp top and clean power can have the current flat one.

I made some examples of the clean power. Left is the normal yellow icon. Right is the new clean power icon. I quite like the cyan color representing clean energy.

Spoiler Green icon :

Spoiler Cyan icon :

Spoiler White icon :

EDIT:
I could also add a star, similar like the holy city star.
Spoiler Cyan icon with star :

But when I open the city screen, I get an error. IIRC I changed all required files, so I have no clue what is causing it.
EDIT: I found the cause.
Spoiler :

BTW, I uploaded the PR containing the Chateau Frontenac update.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0188.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0188.JPG
    352.7 KB · Views: 401
  • Civ4ScreenShot0189.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0189.JPG
    361.8 KB · Views: 413
  • Civ4ScreenShot0190.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0190.JPG
    349.1 KB · Views: 388
  • Civ4ScreenShot0191.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0191.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 436
  • Civ4ScreenShot0192.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0192.JPG
    356.1 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Maybe we need a different dirty power icon instead? Yellow doesn't really indicate pollution either. Maybe it should be red or brownish red? Combined with white for clean power would be the clearest distinction while also being colourblind friendly.

I will try something tomorrow.

Somehow, the new icon doesn't appear in the city screen. And the font has also changed. I will try to find the cause tomorrow, but maybe someone else knows what is happening.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0193.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0193.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 140
Are you using Asaf's game font editor to accomplish this?

No, that should prevent issues. I had problems with the smaller game font files in the past if I added just a single font symbol. For some reason it disappears when you add two.

Suggestion to have HRE start with Sovereignty instrad of Tributaries in 600ad.
The reasons being
a) HRE needs to churn out troops quickly to achieve 1st goal. However Tributaries block growth during unit production which is a huge setback for Frankfurt and Wien.
b) England and Spain also start with Sovereignity so this isn't too weird.
c) 1700ad Austria has Sovereignty as well. Doesn't make sense to have Tributaries in 9c and Sovereignity in 18c, especially when reverting to the latter from the former is impossible in-game.

No, that should prevent issues. I had problems with the smaller game font files in the past if I added just a single font symbol. For some reason it disappears when you add two.

I found the problem and fixed it. Some symbols have only an icon in Gamefont_75, while the slot in the normal Gamefont is empty. I copied the icons from the smaller Gamefont_75 to the normal one and now all works fine.

It seems that for whatever reason the gamefont doesn't like empty slots.

EDIT:
Test with red and brown dirty power icon. I didn't change the clean icon, so it still is cyan.

Personally, I think the cyan color for clean power is the best. For dirty power, I think that brown is a better color, but I think it is clearer that the red icon is a thunderbolt.

Spoiler Red icon :

Spoiler Brown icon :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0194.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0194.JPG
    367.1 KB · Views: 348
  • Civ4ScreenShot0195.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0195.JPG
    340.9 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Top Bottom