Suggestions and Requests

Suggestion for the eventual civ modifications that might follow the big map:

-Make War Elephants require the presence of either Hinduism, Buddhism or Zoroastrianism in the city (not as state religion) to prevent civs with access to the African variant from building them.
-Reintroduce the Phoenician UU Atlas Elephant: Available at Contract, no religious requirement, reduced strength but a bonus against Melee units. Get rid of the lackluster Sacred Band UU.

Suggestion for the eventual civ modifications that might follow the big map:

-Make War Elephants require the presence of either Hinduism, Buddhism or Zoroastrianism in the city (not as state religion) to prevent civs with access to the African variant from building them.
-Reintroduce the Phoenician UU Atlas Elephant: Available at Contract, no religious requirement, reduced strength but a bonus against Melee units. Get rid of the lackluster Sacred Band UU.
That seems convoluted; what are you trying to achieve exactly? While it's true that Asian elephants are easier to tame than African elephants, and were accordingly much more common in warfare, there's plenty of evidence of elephant use by North African polities beyond Carthage, including Egypt and Nubia, and Numidia. Also Rome.

Some of the elephants used by those countries were probably Asian (cf. Hannibal's favorite elephant, called "The Syrian") and acquired through trade, but if anything that means that limiting by religion would inaccurately prevent Mediterranean civilizations from doing that kind of trade. If we truly want to prevent African elephants from being used to make war elephants, the only correct way would be to use the existing resource mechanics and split the ivory resource in two, or make the requirement dependent on the Asian elephant resource variant. But I don't think any of that would be a useful addition.

The final era music tracks are similar to one another and are generally minor keys and to some degree discordant. In some of the games I play well into the late eras and will sometimes spend days listening to the same dour music to the point that it has become my practice to disable the music not long after entering the modern music era (I forget exactly which one it is). What if in the final eras rather than having exclusively the modern music selection music from other eras is mixed in. Certainly in a modern setting more people are listening to Beethoven's 6th than are listening to any of the songs on the future music list, so it's not like it wouldn't feel appropriate. Maybe even mix in some of the civ specific songs just so we can listen to more than the first 10 seconds of those songs.

These are minimalism musics. Their main idea is to repeat the same motif again and again to push the music forward, without any consideration of musical harmony practiced by classical musicians.

The final era music tracks are similar to one another and are generally minor keys and to some degree discordant. In some of the games I play well into the late eras and will sometimes spend days listening to the same dour music to the point that it has become my practice to disable the music not long after entering the modern music era (I forget exactly which one it is). What if in the final eras rather than having exclusively the modern music selection music from other eras is mixed in. Certainly in a modern setting more people are listening to Beethoven's 6th than are listening to any of the songs on the future music list, so it's not like it wouldn't feel appropriate. Maybe even mix in some of the civ specific songs just so we can listen to more than the first 10 seconds of those songs.
There's an old thread I made where we discussed the possibility of changing the Global Era soundtrack to early 20th century classical music (e.g. Debussy, Ravel, etc.), and keep John Adam's minimalist music only for the Digital Era. I still think that's a good idea, though it never got near the point of being implemented.

I think making a mix of all eras would be kinda bad because it would reduce the aesthetic differences between the eras, which play a big role in giving the game a sense of progression.

I think making a mix of all eras would be kinda bad because it would reduce the aesthetic differences between the eras, which play a big role in giving the game a sense of progression.
Aesthetic-smesthetic. When you rich final era the soundtrack stucks and cannot ever be changed. So what sense of progress are you talking about? And that's kinda depressing, because I don't like final era's soundtrack and the tracks which I love have left in the previous eras forever. And I can theoretically continue the game for a while after I reached final era, for world conquest, for example. So I like idea of mix of all eras. But ideal solution would be in-game player like in Europa Universalis 4, where you can turn on any track you want at any moment or permanently exclude tracks you don't like. But that would be quite hard to program, I think, so I'm for the mix.

Aesthetic-smesthetic. When you rich final era the soundtrack stucks and cannot ever be changed. So what sense of progress are you talking about? And that's kinda depressing, because I don't like final era's soundtrack and the tracks which I love have left in the previous eras forever. And I can theoretically continue the game for a while after I reached final era, for world conquest, for example. So I like idea of mix of all eras. But ideal solution would be in-game player like in Europa Universalis 4, where you can turn on any track you want at any moment or permanently exclude tracks you don't like. But that would be quite hard to program, I think, so I'm for the mix.
The problem of the John Adams soundtrack being too present is exactly what I wanted to solve with the Global Era / early 20th c. music suggestion. I do, however, like the John Adams tracks, and think they're great at giving a sense of acceleration, of futurism, etc. So I have a strong preference for not altering the last era's soundtrack, although I do think it should be restricted only to the very late game. If you want to hear some Beethoven at that point, just turn the soundtrack off and put up some Beethoven on Spotify.

On the other hand, maybe a full mix of all eras would be cool after you've won the game.

Youtube playlists for the various civs as they progress through the eras
Almost that.
I do think that players who stuck with the Arabs, Turks and Chinese into the modern era, should be allowed to listen to modern Arab, Turkish and Chinese pop music. I'm pretty certain that there's free-to-use music for every civilization, or at least for each circle of civilizations (far-eastern, near-eastern, latin american...). The pieces need to fulfill a few criteria, I'm not claiming that my following list is complete.
  • copyright-free
  • instrumental
  • mood-music (nice to listen to in loops; no huge variations in volume; ...)

For the 1.17. version, it seems that the Worldbuilder(Platybuilder) doesn't provide the tool for adjusting Core Area. Where has the button gone?

Yeah, I miss it too. Also it seems we can no longer see the core-periphery map for religions either (which was very useful for some UHV runs like Poland and Korea), too bad.

There is a "maps"-subfolder in the installation directory, where you can check on the areas if you don't know them. This doesn't work that well with the adjustable core-areas (like Mongolia who has it expanded after eliminating China, etc.).

But yeah, the button is gone. I'm not too sad about it.

I was wondering if campaigns with bigger maps were something possible to add. Something with the map style of RFC Europe or Sword of Islam, maybe both combined.

There's a new, bigger map that has been a work in progress these past few years (you can see its outline here), but its scale is nowhere near as big as the maps in RFCE or SoI.

To be honest while I like these mods, RFCE's map feels very empty compared to how detailed DoC's current map gets.

There's a new, bigger map that has been a work in progress these past few years (you can see its outline here), but its scale is nowhere near as big as the maps in RFCE or SoI.

To be honest while I like these mods, RFCE's map feels very empty compared to how detailed DoC's current map gets.
thanks for the link and explanation, it does look really cool. I will definitively play 1.18

Every time Arabia loses territory to the point of controling only cities in Levant and Arabian peninsula its dynamic name returns to Rashidun Caliphate. The Rashidun Caliphate existed only in 632 to 661. After this period the state was replaced by Umayyad and Abbasid Caliphates, which the last one was the only caliphate to return to existance several times in history after its downfall. My suggestion is to put the Abbasid Caliphate dynamic name fixed during medieval age, independently from triggers such where is the capital and how many cities Arabia have under control.
Screenshot_7.6.png

Poland could have as dynamic name Principality/Kingdom of Galicia-Volhynia if its capital is Kiev during middle ages and Grand Principality of Ruthenia in Renaissance age
Screenshot_8,4.png

If Mexico, Andes, Brazil and/or Argentina is colonized by islamic nations, should be nice to give initial dynamic names related to the faith, like Emirate or Sultanate of X nation. That can make the game more diverse and more historical alternative.
Screenshot_8,2.png Screenshot_8,3.png

Poland could have as dynamic name Principality/Kingdom of Galicia-Volhynia if its capital is Kiev during middle ages and Grand Principality of Ruthenia in Renaissance age
View attachment 669343
Disagree. Firstly, Galicia-Volhynia as name makes sense if their capital is in Lvov, not Kiev. Secondly, using name kingdom or principality should be based on religion, kingdom for catholic and principality for orthodox. And thirdly, we have upcoming independent Ukrainian/Ruthenian civilization on 1.18, so all these names go to them.

Started Korean game and noticed one thing. My country currently is named Goryeo, which doesn't make any sense. Goguryeo/Goryeo was placed in the Northern Korea and Southern Manchuria, while my capital is in the south. If something, it should be called Silla. I think it would be cool if Korea in its early period had dynamic names Goguryeo/ Baekje/ Silla depending on position of its capital. Especially on the bigger map. Also, Korea notably doesn't have core and has very few historical tiles in Manchuria, despite the fact that Goguryeo controlled a lot of land there. I thing it also could be changed.

Attachments

• Goryeo.png
    Goryeo.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
Top Bottom