Suggestions for SGOTM13

eldar

ChiefTank
I appreciate that things are busy over in the Civ4 GOTM world (esp with BTS and probably the need to support all three variants for a while at least...) and that Gyathaar hasn't been round much. I just thought I'd set the ball in motion with a few thoughts.

- Sid-level SGOTM? Would keep the big names interested, and might get a few of us Sid Virgins into the game too. (Will certainly scare off some newbies though.)
- A hard time-limit (say 3 months) to complete the game? (Suggested elsewhere, posted here to get everything in one place.)

Good idea. :thumbsup:

SID sounds interesting. Berserks or Dromons on Archipelago? :hmm:

I'd also like some Culture Variant. Maybe 20k combined with 5CC or alike? (Of couse not SID then - unless we play for the latest loss :D )

I liked the limited cities in SGotm12.
The 100k-Celts thing (7?) must have been violent... :rolleyes:

I'd be nervous that we'd be down to one or two teams in that level. Remember that SGOTM teams don't perform consistently at the level of their best player! Wouldn't a Sid game be more suited to running as a standard SG?

The 100K Celts thing was a blast! Gyathaar and I were on the same team for that one IIRC :)

I did an SG a year or so ago where there were self imposed unit limits (no fast units or Archer-LB-Commando-TOW only). I also was in another where we were not allowed to research any techs. Both were a lot of fun. Doing something where you have to use unusual units, governments or strategies is always a challenge (ie fun). The Communist Celts & the Aquaphobic game were both quite enjoyable.

As for level, I agree that SID is a bit daunting for a team game. Depending on the other parameters, something from Monarch to Demi-God is probably about right for us.

Another option is to use new units or tribes, such as the special Mongol units or Austria. I realize that might involve a download, but most of us should be capable of doing that.

I know the special Mongol units are dear to your heart, Denyd, but I don't think they ever made it into C3C, so that would involve some development effort unless we just use PtW.

I recall playing a zero research vanilla SG using the Mongol special units. It was promoted by Scout and MB, I think. There were three teams playing, but it wasn't a formal SGOTM. Good fun :)

Oops, :blush: you're right about the Turghaut Cavalry & Bagatur Hordes belonging to PTW. I think the Minoan UU (Peltast?) was also PTW. Weren't all the Asian units also PTW only?

There's always the extra units included with the scenarios or the Austrians (the lost 32nd tribe).

All of the special units and civs created by Cracker were vanilla/PtW. C3C GOTM started after he left the building (if he ever did :hmm:)

The Austrians were partially delivered by Firaxis with C3C. Ainwood added the necessary bits to the BIQ to make them real, and they had the Huzzars as UU. However, I seem to recall that there were problems when we actually tried to use that civ in a game.

There is, of course, no fundamental reason why we shouldn't stage a Retro SGOTM using PtW and some of Cracker's inventions. How would people feel about a bit of nostalgia?

However, I seem to recall that there were problems when we actually tried to use that civ in a game.

Perhaps this has been fixed, but the problem I remember from a game with the Austrians was that we couldn't build tanks. Apparently the program put Austria into Germany's spot on the roster, so to speak, and the German inability to build ordinary tanks (because of Panzers) still applied.

There was a successful COTM (7?) as the Austrians (my first solo Emperor win IIRC...).

Perhaps this has been fixed, but the problem I remember from a game with the Austrians was that we couldn't build tanks. Apparently the program put Austria into Germany's spot on the roster, so to speak, and the German inability to build ordinary tanks (because of Panzers) still applied.

So who did Germany (who were our direct neighbours along with the other obvious candidates of France, Russia, and Spain) replace then? Or was this another COTM that I missed?

Hello, NP! I wondered if all this nostalgia might smoke out some more old hands :)

PS. Isn't it about time you played your turn set in the Space Mystery game? :p

Soon, soon. It's a delicate situation calling for the maturest consideration. :blush: :lol:

Eldar, I was remembering a game in Meldor's old non-oscillating war (NOW) series, not any sort of OTM contest.

Good idea. :thumbsup:

SID sounds interesting. Berserks or Dromons on Archipelago? :hmm:

I'd also like some Culture Variant. Maybe 20k combined with 5CC or alike? (Of couse not SID then - unless we play for the latest loss :D )

I liked the limited cities in SGotm12.
The 100k-Celts thing (7?) must have been violent... :rolleyes:

How about SID OCC highest culture on loss (or fastest to 20k)

IMO, I would pick a civ where the traits don't match the situation. That way, it would be impossible to win, except when the AI is limited to 1 or 2 (or even 3, maybe) cities.

I always thought this game was really great: http://realmsbeyond.net/civ/epic47.html.

Longer research times and longer research length to make the game have a distinct ancient, medieval, industrial and later era.

So I would say Sid Plus, with the only caveat to win. Maybe someone could do an artistic take on that?

Attachments

• RBCiv-47 - Start.SAV
    78.7 KB · Views: 248
Hmm.. I had pretty much forgotten that a new Civ3 SGOTM is needed..

Personally I have more or less forgotten how to play Civ3 now :(
Perhaps someone else wants to make the next SGOTM? :p

Top Bottom