Suicidal DOW?

Resident Mario

Warlord
Lately I've been getting lots of these. I'm by far and large the military juggernaut, and looking for who I can conquer next, when one of my neighbors randomly declares war on me. Right out of "Friendly" and half my military strength. Happened twice one game, with France and Persia. They might well have been fake friendly, but really, suicidal attacks? Worse, it gave me a permanent "Your friends found reason to denounce you.", which is worse then the warmongering penalty I would have taken if I had declared instead. All-around annoying. Anyone know what's going on here?

Yeah, and you don't have to really do anything except maybe defend one or two of your border cities. Pretty soon the aggressive civ will offer you all their gold, and maybe 2/3 of their cities, if you'll just stop picking on them!:p It's just part of the game.

In my last domination game something funny happened with the romans, they've pretty much been my best friends during the whole game, RA and trade partners, and DoF all the time.

Then out of the blue when I was preparing another invasion of a major power to slow them down (my army size was #1 in the world and the superior technologically), they went something like this:

"We will probably lose but we need to do this to win the game", - BAM best backstab ever. (I even think we had a DoF at that point as well.. not 100% sure)

Suicide indeed it was, but funny message nevertheless.

I found that the first DoW in the early game seems always be suicidal. First the AI is waiting too long to attack, until I have discovered IW and connected iron to my network and then they don't go to pillage the iron tile so usually I can upgrade one warrior to swordsman and rush another swordsman and kill the whole bunch of warriors with which the AI attacks off and then straight into the counter attack and good bye stupid AI...

Maybe it's just trying to stop a future threat to the world, think of it as nations trying to stop Napoleon or Hitler. :)

That's why AI often gangs up on a big warmonger I guess.

Yeah I have been invaded with the logic, "we know this is certain death and we won't make it 3 tiles into your borders without being completely wiped out, but we just hate you THAT much we can't help ourselves."

Yeah I have been invaded with the logic, "we know this is certain death and we won't make it 3 tiles into your borders without being completely wiped out, but we just hate you THAT much we can't help ourselves."
Yeah, I've had that logic many times. It's even more amusing when you kill all their units, beat them down to one city and then go to them to make peace (to avoid the hate of killing an AI off completely) and they say "Tired of Battle?", or "Come to Beg for Mercy?".

Come on you silly AI, I just crushed your army and took all you cities, including your capital, and you think you have the upper hand?

Some of these AIs must be masochistic, or just suicidal. Maybe Prozac should be a luxury resource so we can sell it to the AI for cheap. They seem to need it sometimes.

No, the best is when you get rushed by France in the beginning, and you own them with like a garrisoned catapult and one or two warrior units, and he asks for a peace treaty where he wants ALL of your gold, ALL of your luxury items, ALL of your strategic items, and a city. And open borders.

7swordsman, 2scout, 1archer <---mine
vs
3warriors, 2archers garrisoned <---Washington's

and the AI wants MY gold....?

and that math is AFTER i killed atleast good 4-5warriors.
Washington completely refused to settle even white peace.
he was wiped out few turns later and 30-40turns later i was wiped out by 3 other nation pile up...in a game with only 5nations including me.

Washington suicided on purpose to take me out of the game :p

I had a game where the Ottomans were a close neighbor who I had great relations with for a looong time. They got pretty badly beat down by other AIs, but I fought the aggressors, and the end result was that I had basically saved them. I didn't bother with them because they were so weak and, while I was heading to a Domination victory, another AI had taken their capital.

ANYWAY, my point is that while I was DEEP in enemy territory with nothing but Allied CSs and Suley at my back, Suley went and backstab DoW on me with that line of "we know this is suicide but..." And god-bless his little heart, he managed to take one of my cities with a well-executed strike!

I was so proud of him I let him keep it, and I let him be the rest of the game. Given that experience, I wonder if the "suicide" DoW might actually work when it's AI vs AI?

No, the best is when you get rushed by France in the beginning, and you own them with like a garrisoned catapult and one or two warrior units, and he asks for a peace treaty where he wants ALL of your gold, ALL of your luxury items, ALL of your strategic items, and a city. And open borders.

Yeah I've seen this many times and each time it makes me chuckle. I tend to play Babylon quite a bit and either go hardcore science or science/culture and turtle my 3-4 cities up tight. "Civ X" (generally Aztecs or one of the other aggressive Civs) decides I am puny and they are going to come take my candy fairly early in the game. Wave after wave of warriors/jaguars/etc. come crashing against my city walls (gotta love Walls of Babylon) as my garrisoned archers or catapults (if it's even that far into the game) mow them down like grass. All the while my cities are cranking out wonders, buildings, etc. and my science is advancing exponentially.

After several turns of this, their ranks thinning, it's clear that I've pulled a "Battle of Thermopylae" on them and they've started withdrawing...it's here that they offer peace with the terms that I give them basically EVERYTHING I have. I just don't get it. They could keep coming at me all day and I'd just keep spanking their little bottoms red and sending them back home crying.

Several times I have experienced this and I am trucking along so well in science that, midway through the "war", I'm a couple of levels higher than them in military tech. Ergo their swordsmen are coming at my cities garrisoned with cannons and just being decimated. Yet they still insist I should beg for my life.

Silly civs...

Often another AI bribes the once friendly AI to declare war on you. Thats what I think is the main cause of these suicidal wars

Often another AI bribes the once friendly AI to declare war on you. Thats what I think is the main cause of these suicidal wars

Yep I do this all the time. If I am going to war in the east and have a "Friend" in the west I will either bribe him to war with someone or bribe someone to war with him. That way my rear is secure. I am sure AI's do this also.

Yes and instead of fixing diplomacy they want to nerf out happiness. I don't get it.

Top Bottom