Sukritact's Cartography Outline

@InsanelyApple: Hmm.... the effect is too obvious; try scaling up the cloud overlay or blurring it. I also just noticed you're missing a crease texture; it's not at all necessary, but it does help. as a side note; scale down your paper texture, the fibres feel too big IMHO.

I don't have access to your actual files, but this is how I might have done it:

And yes, I love my work dark and grungy :p

The crease was there. It just wasn't very visible. :lol:

Attempt number 3.
Spoiler :

I tried to duplicate how you did the lighting, but couldn't quite figure it out. Can you try to go in a bit more detail about that. (Pretty much how you made it look so dark and grungy :p)

Is there a way to get that paper texture in Paint.NET? I can do drop shadows, just not that effect, which seems to be incredibly important.
I do believe there's a link to paper textures in the OP, you'll have to figure out how to do overlays in Paint.NET yourself (I think it's possible, though I'm not sure).

I tried to duplicate how you did the lighting, but couldn't quite figure it out. Can you try to go in a bit more detail about that. (Pretty much how you made it look so dark and grungy :p)

First things first; that's an excellent result; I quite like it!

As to how I do my textures, on the bottom, the cloud overlay, followed by a dark paper texture (just normal texture with the brightness toned down), then finally the creases. I do play around with this when I do my work; some of my maps have more complicated texturing than others; what I just told you is intermediate in complexity.

I do believe there's a link to paper textures in the OP, you'll have to figure out how to do overlays in Paint.NET yourself (I think it's possible, though I'm not sure).

So I've got the overlay working, but can't curve text. Damn you Adobe for making the standard cost the same as the combined GDP of the European Union.

First things first; that's an excellent result; I quite like it!

As to how I do my textures, on the bottom, the cloud overlay, followed by a dark paper texture (just normal texture with the brightness toned down), then finally the creases. I do play around with this when I do my work; some of my maps have more complicated texturing than others; what I just told you is intermediate in complexity.
Thank you. That means a lot coming from the Map Guru. ;)

EDIT: Wow. I went back and compared my current version to the first one I posted and it looks so much better. Thanks for the advice!
So I've got the overlay working, but can't curve text. Damn you Adobe for making the standard cost the same as the combined GDP of the European Union.
How about GIMP? Also, I found this. It may be helpful.

This is what I've done so far, by the way I'm not actually making this civ:

I've completed my first map. Thank you so much Sukritact, the internet needs more people like you. I give you, The Armenian Empire:

Spoiler :

Elements (clockwise from top right) are:
1) Armenian calligraphy with traditional bird font
2) Pommegranate tree from a medieval miniature painting
3) David of Sassoun, Armenian folk hero
4) Sardarabad monument
5) Mt Ararat and little Ararat
6) Cross and symbol for 'is'

Underlay texture is that of a khachkar, intricately carved 'cross stones' used to adorn Armenian monasteries and gravestones for centuries.

My updated map. To be honest, I am somewhat dissatisfied with my embellishments. They make the pristine map seem dirty to me... please give me your opinions as I am hardly unbiased and perhaps too selfcritical.

I have three embellishments... a scene of Emperor Otto I with supplicants throughout the empire, a double-headed Eagle, and a coin(?) or something showing Otto I with wording around the circumference. Tell the truth, I do not like two circles on the same map. I'm actually thinking of making one of the three the prime embellishment and having it overlay the whole of the map... I think either the Otto and people the Otto coin. I may dump the Eagle.

I'll also continue to look for better embellishments or some documents..

Here it is, in any case:

HREMap.jpg

My updated map. To be honest, I am somewhat dissatisfied with my embellishments. They make the pristine map seem dirty to me... please give me your opinions as I am hardly unbiased and perhaps too selfcritical.

I have three embellishments... a scene of Emperor Otto I with supplicants throughout the empire, a double-headed Eagle, and a coin(?) or something showing Otto I with wording around the circumference. Tell the truth, I do not like two circles on the same map. I'm actually thinking of making one of the three the prime embellishment and having it overlay the whole of the map... I think either the Otto and people the Otto coin. I may dump the Eagle.

I'll also continue to look for better embellishments or some documents..

Here it is, in any case:

View attachment 354934

The embellishments are done well just their placement is off. Space them over the map, it will help to fill the still empty space and make the map look cleaner.

Okay, here's the second attempt at the Mexico map

Added another scrunched paper texture, moved some of the decorations around and added in a Calavera, but most importantly added in a subsection of Mexico on the United States of Central America. Thoughts / feedback appreciated.

Problem is the paper texture is also providing colour changes etc. as well, removing it makes the map look a fair bit worse. Any other ideas on how to improve it?

Have you lowered the saturation? Also, you can go back to alter previous colors to counteract the effects of any color changes; then finally there's lowering fill or opacity; you may get different effects for the two, depending on the blending mode, so toy around.

Hi!

I'd like to show you my first attempt at Civ5 map thingy..

...of course I'd like to make a custom civ with all bells and whistles but I was kinda discouraged when I realized nobody (well, I think) successfully made a custom 3d animated leader and imported it into the game. I seriously don't like static leader screens in the game. I have some knowledge in 3d so I'm not dreaming or being delusional ;)

That looks great! Only thing I might suggest would be try and remove the white band across the image, or at least darken it a bit somehow

I think the white band is part of the Yugoslav flag imprinted in the background so probably darken rather than remove.

Artur, this looks like firaxis made it themselves. Simply amazing... I'm big time jealous.

Wow; that is awesome! Really nice; and it looks super clean!

I feel really torn about that white band; it probably shouldn't be there; but it gives the map a strangely modern look IMHO.

My only real suggestion is you modify the path for the Mediterranean text so it flows a bit more naturally.

Top Bottom