Resource icon

Sukritact's Main Menu 1.0

sukritact

Artist and Modder
If anyone finds the Civ 5 main menu a bit dark and dreary. You're not alone. So I've modded in a fix.

This ONLY effects the main menu you see on launch, the sub-menus will remain unaltered: the main goal of this being to change things up a bit, and to show off some of the art the excellent artists at Firaxis have made.

As well as some of our modders :D

You can swap between various background with the arrows at the bottom, or leave it un-ticked: then the game with choose a random background every time.

This mod should be installed like other Pseudo-DLC (EUI and custom modding screens). Simply extract to your DLC folder and boot up the game. Do not use this if your screen-resolution is less than 1280 in width.​

Last edited:
That's just what I'm looking for:c5happy: If you can make it a stand-alone mod rather than a pseudo-dlc, then I would be even more grateful:c5faith::c5faith:

Is there a way to make Civ5 work better on higher resolution screens? I downloaded this hoping it would offer higher res support, but anything above 1920x1080 has black bars on all sides. Also, For some reason the DDS files don't open up for me with the nVidia DDS plugin for GIMP that I use that works with every other game I try modding.

Is there a way to make Civ5 work better on higher resolution screens? I downloaded this hoping it would offer higher res support, but anything above 1920x1080 has black bars on all sides. Also, For some reason the DDS files don't open up for me with the nVidia DDS plugin for GIMP that I use that works with every other game I try modding.
Do you mean you purchased it on Steam?

Do you mean you purchased it on Steam?
That doesn't really have any bearing, does it? No, I actually didn't purchase it on Steam, I purchased the physical Collector's Edition when the game came out (https://www.amazon.com/Sid-Meiers-Civilization-V-Special-PC/dp/B003O6EFW6), but that of course uses a Steam key since Firaxis requires Steam to play the game. That's why I said your question doesn't have any bearing.

With or without this mod, Civ 5 doesn't support resolutions higher than 1920x1080 without there being black bars around all sides of the menu. I was hoping this mod would help with that, but I was wrong. Does anyone know of a way to load higher resolution menu backgrounds? I can't open the dds files myself for some reason, even though I've been able to open DDS files for every other game I've ever tried to using the nVidia DDS plugin for GIMP.

That doesn't really have any bearing, does it? No, I actually didn't purchase it on Steam, I purchased the physical Collector's Edition when the game came out (https://www.amazon.com/Sid-Meiers-Civilization-V-Special-PC/dp/B003O6EFW6), but that of course uses a Steam key since Firaxis requires Steam to play the game. That's why I said your question doesn't have any bearing.

With or without this mod, Civ 5 doesn't support resolutions higher than 1920x1080 without there being black bars around all sides of the menu. I was hoping this mod would help with that, but I was wrong. Does anyone know of a way to load higher resolution menu backgrounds? I can't open the dds files myself for some reason, even though I've been able to open DDS files for every other game I've ever tried to using the nVidia DDS plugin for GIMP.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/8930/discussions/0/864969953438136150/

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/3sdtfj/screen_resolution_problems_when_playing_civ_5_on/

You are asking how to play at higher resolutions, correct?
No, not even close.

Since you didn't read my first two posts before replying, please read this:
I would like to know 2 things:

1. Can Civ 5 support higher resolution menu background images than 1920x1080?
2. If so, how can I edit the DDS files Civ5 uses so I can upscale them or replace them with higher resolution images.

Wait a minute! Are you just talking about the menu pages, not the game itself? If yes, those pages do not fill the whole screen.

Wait a minute! Are you just talking about the menu pages, not the game itself? If yes, those pages do not fill the whole screen.
Yeah, that's why I said "menu backgrounds" and I'm posting in a thread for a menu background mod. Makes sense, yeah?

Thanks for trying to help. It's weird that the game will scale the menu graphics down, but not up. Sorry if it's something that seems really minor, but it bugs the piss out of me. Here's hoping Sukritact or someone that knows more about editing these DDS files and/or the capabilities of the game reads this.

You did not answer my question about HDTV.
No, I didn't see it, plus it doesn't matter, it has literally zero bearing on what the game supports. Remember, the display that you use is dumb, so it won't have any ability to control what is being rendered.

You can change the settings on the device that has the screen resolution. It would help to know what device you are using.

Top Bottom