Sullla's AI Survivor Season Seven - begins today!

Been swamped with other things lately so haven't analyzed much.
Throwing in Stalin1 Shaka2 and Gandhi ftd, T330 dom with 10 wars.
Peaceweights are identical for the two central war mongerers and they will be annoyed with Gandhi from the start. I envision that they will jump on him and from there they will be bonded together for the game by virtue of shared war bonus.
Don't think religion will play a huge role if the dices land like that.
*edit* Haha, ok everyone and their grandma has submitted an almost identical prediction. Might have to change that to stir things up tomorrow. :D */edit*

I think shaka takes out Pericle and snowballs. I think the tech pace should be slow enough that shaka can take out Pericles and Ghandi and not be too backwards.

Being next to a total weenie like Pericles is really going to help Shaka get rolling.

Shaka always finds a way to fail, but this time will be different!

No tech trades really help the strong techers who stay out of wars get a huge science lead.
Shaka needs early and midgame success.

Last edited:
Shaka always finds a way to fail, but this time will be different!

No tech trades really help the strong techers who stay out of wars get a huge science lead.
Shaka needs early and midgame success.
Good points here! I am surprised people have undervalued Shaka for first. Not my pick, but he is a strong contender nonetheless. I also suspect the resilience of Hammurabi and Pericles is undervalued but that of Shaka and Stalin overvalued. An early war with Hammurabi or Pericles would likely be inconclusive for Shaka. He seems more likely to forward settle Stalin or target Gandhi.

This is part of why I find Stalin's position mostly suspect. Shaka settles for double corn, then rice, I guess, but his fourth city could claim Stalin's copper to the south. If Isabella takes his iron with her first settle, and Gandhi takes the mountain copper, I bet Stalin's odds for First-to-Die skyrocket.

Gandhi, Hammurabi, and Pericles more or less have the economic flavors on this map. A little expansion would do any of them wonders. As for Isabella, religion only drives so far up the tech tree. Shaka will have so many units tech will be off the table for a while. These latter two need expansion more and make a good team, whereby Shaka tries to snowball off Stalin or Gandhi, and Isabella picks up some spoils for herself.

If Shaka did not build so many units, he could settle 30% of the map straight away and tech wherever he wanted. The reality is he will engage in some coin flip wars that will drive diplomacy and, I might add, present a decent *chance of carrying him to victory.

Last edited:
The first game is tomorrow!

Getting hyped!

Did we do anything to promote Sullla's event? Who will make the official Game 1 thread, and when?
I think Civac posted on Reddit?

Not sure about the front page of this forum.

I'll make a new thread in the morning for game 1.
If every game gets a baby thread, I'll just link them in post 1

**Edit**
The_J
put it on the front page. :D

Last edited:
Game 2 thread is up in case anyone missed it.

The current game should be pinned at the top of the forums in the future hopefully.

Here is the write-up for Game 1:

General question: I recall Sullla mentioning variance in AI strategy from game to game on top of set traits. Is anyone familiar with any documentation of this? Or, can you just look at the start of a game and recognize that the AI has chosen one of so many variants?

General question: I recall Sullla mentioning variance in AI strategy from game to game on top of set traits. Is anyone familiar with any documentation of this? Or, can you just look at the start of a game and recognize that the AI has chosen one of so many variants?
I do not know all the details but there is a random factor which goes into a lot of the AI decision making plus a random seed for everything. Some of the randomness is based purely on the x,y coordinates of the AI's capital city and whether they add up to an odd or even number so if you had the same map but just shifted by one x or y coodinate it could influence a lot of the AI strategy decisions.

When he does the alternate histories he does it with preserve random seed turned off.

When you use the cheat code and run debug mode you can hold Alt over an AI's territory and see what strategies it is using at that time.

I feel there might be some confusion on how to get points in Sullla's picking contest.

The standings are updated in a google spreadsheet within about 12 hours of the end of the broadcast of each game.
To view Season 7 point standings, go to this webpage.

1) Hold down the Control Key and press F (Ctrl+F)
2)Type:
current bracket and standings
3) Click on the link

A spreadsheet comes up that contains all the information
At the top there are tabs to go to different spreadsheets.
Contest tab opens up the picking contest point totals.
There are also individual tabs at the top for Game 1 points, Game 2 points, etc.

How many points are my predictions worth?

Picking the correct AI to win 1st place is worth 5 points
Picking the correct AI to win 2nd place is worth 5 points
Picking the correct AI to die first is worth 5 points
Picking the correct Victory Condition is worth 3 points

Picking the top 2 AI finishers but getting their order backwards? 2.5 points each or 5 points total :)

Now it gets more complicated!
Picking the correct amount of wars exactly is worth 5 points
Picking the wrong amount of wars but only off by 1 or 2 wars? 3 points
Picking the wrong amount of wars but only off 3 or 4 or 5 wars? 1 point
Picking the wrong amount of wars but only off by 6 or more wars? 0 points

Picking the correct end turn exactly is worth 10 points
Picking the wrong end turn but are 1 to 10 turns off? 5 points
Picking the wrong end turn but are 11 to 25 turns off? 3 points
Picking the wrong end turn but are 26 to 50 turns off? 1 points
Picking the wrong end turn but are 51 or more turns off? 0 points

Hopefully this post helps people root for their picks with more fervor as even a single turn or war can change points at the end.

Last edited:
Civ 4 Survivor probably reached its final form with Season 5 abolishing the Apostolic Palace from the competition. :think:

New Changes for Civ4 AI Survivor Season Five

There are a couple of other minor tweaks to the format for this season. First of all, we're changing up the climate setting once again, largely just for fun. The first four seasons of AI Survivor used "Temperate", "Arid", "Tropical", and "Rocky" climates for the games, and we'll go with the final "Cold" option for this season. This has absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with the real-life location where Season Five of Survivor was shot in Thailand but there's nothing to be done about that. The television Survivor would never be filmed in a cold climate for obvious reasons. (I'm honestly a little surprised that I've been able to keep making puns involving the season name and the word "AI", happy coincidence there.) We'll also continue to use the "Choose Religions" options so that we can avoid getting Buddhism and Hinduism as the dominant religions in every game.

The main change for Season Five involves the Apostolic Palace. This has been the most controversial aspect of prior seasons from a gameplay perspective, with the AI civ that controls the Apostolic Palace often using it to shut down literally every invasion launched against them, or forcing everyone in the game to declare war on some hapless target. The argument in favor of the AP is that it introduces a wild and unpredictable element of chaos into each game which can be a lot of fun to watch. The argument against the AP is that a single wonder shouldn't have such a massively disproportionate effect on the rest of the gameplay, and in particular, it shouldn't become a magical shield that can shut down all aggression for hundreds of turns on end. I decided to run a poll question asking the community whether they wanted to see the inclusion of the Apostolic Palace for Season Five. The results were decisive:

With more than 100 votes cast, the community chose to remove the Apostolic Palace by greater than a 2:1 margin. Therefore we won't be running an AI observer civ for Season Five as there won't be any need. I will Worldbuilder the Apostolic Palace into the player-controlled observer civ on the first turn of the game, and that should prevent any of the AI competitiors from being able to build it themselves. This is a modest nerf to the religious-focused AIs since it takes away one of their tools for controlling the diplomacy. On the other hand, it may actually help some of them by stopping religious zealots from launching wars that they can't possibly win through the AP. Contestants in the picking contest should be aware that this wonder won't be around to influence things one way or the other in this season.

Finally, after leaving the goody huts (tribal villages) in the game for the past few seasons, we're finally getting rid of them this year. We've been moving towards a less random and more standardized setup for the past few years and this seems like an obvious next step. No more cases of someone getting lucky and popping a critical tech out of a hut on the first turn of the game - now they need to research their own stuff like everyone else.

A quick overview of the results after getting rid of that pesky wonder:

Season 5 had an average of 11.1 wars and ended on turn 336.6 (Cold Map Setting)
Season 6 had an average of 11.9 wars and ended on turn 327.5 (Tropical Map Setting)
Season 7 had an average of ???? wars and ended on turn ???? (Temperate Map Setting)

Of the 29 games played so far in the latest seasons, there were 14 spaceships, 7 dominations, 7 culture wins, and 1 diplomatic victory.

Season 7 has flowed with blood, and so far only Shaka has not been totally eliminated by the top 2 winners.
If he ends up in the wild card game by himself, Sullla might just put in 6 Shakas to fight it out :lol:

The top 2 finishers in the Wild Card game end up in Playoff Game 2 and Playoff Game 3 I think.
That way the 3 playoff games and the final all have 6 civs.
The most a civ can show up in a season is 4 games if they botch their 1st game and don't die, get 1st or 2nd in the Wild Card Game, get 1st or 2nd in a Playoff Game, and then appear in the Championship Game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom