Summer Project

Thanks, that may have to be how I do it. As long as the Assam airport cities and Kunming are under British and Chinese control respectively, there is a good chance that the supplies get through. If the Japanese control Myitkyna, the chances are less.

Yes, I've incorporated the Monsoon from the beginning. Movement is slower, ranges are less, and turns represent a month rather than 2 weeks. Screenies at the start of this thread.

..., and turns represent a month rather than 2 weeks. ...

I didn't realize you could modify the time period a turn represents during a game. I thought the parameter could only be set at the beginning in the scn file. How do you do it?

I just said it was so. When I realized that there weren't enough monthly turns for the scenario to produce realistic results at the scale I had chosen, I switched to the simple turn sequence you used in France 1944 (1-2-3-4...). I just call dry season turns 2 weeks and monsoon turns a month and plan my events accordingly. I'll use text events to announce the current date from time to time.

Come to think of it, a more programmable calendar might be a good candidate for the Patch Project.

A smaller glitch is that events creating Japanese riverine gunboats don't work. I assume that is because they are ship units that I'm trying to generate on land. ToTPP allows ship units with a special flag to move on rivers. I'd have them appear in a port, but I don't want them sailing off into the ocean instead of up river.

If you're not too fanatic about perfectly accurate maps, an easy solution could be to add 1 or a few lakes (1 square ocean) on the rivers to provide places for riverine boats generation.

Techumseh, I'm just curious, are the Civ leaders named for the national government heads of that time, or the theatre commander for the Burma area (or 100th Army for China, I'd assume)?

As I'm playing through Burma Campaign V 1.0, I've hit what may be a significant glitch. I've used the expandable events memory in a big way, it's listed as exceeding 2k. Many events have delays associated with them. They do not seem to be triggering.
Catfish has written a tip on this; extra events space is consumed each time a delayed event occurs. Perhaps the expandable events memory of ToTPP does not expand for delay events required memory. Any thoughts?

Hi Techumseh,

Have you been able to resolve your issue? If not, can you explain what are most of your delayed events associated with primarily, i.e. is it to generate reinforcements, replacements for units lost in combat, to receive techs or city improvements?

Perhaps with a better understanding of the nature of the events we could help you approach them in a different manner to reduce your dependence on delays.

I've taken up this project again, for about the fourth time. It's a bit of a complex thing, and when frustration builds, I need to take a break for a while. Thanks everyone for your patience.

In answer to Tootall's question, I don't know which events don't fire particularly. For the time being, I've just placed semi-colons in front of all the delay modifiers. I'll try to do without them, until I can streamline and rationalize my events.

Basic stuff is long since complete. Map, graphics, unit types and strengths are all satisfactory. I see three major tasks to accomplish before it's ready to send out for playtesting:

1) Adjust Japanese moveunit events and replacements. The initial offensive to Rangoon and north to Mandalay works fine - a true blitzkrieg. After Mandalay, it peters out, having been split in 3 directions: north to Myitkyna, west to Imphal, and east to China. It needs more oomph towards north Burma and more staying power against the British along the soon to be well-defended Indian border.

2) Fix the "Hump". This is my big frustration so far. The concept is by moving "lend-lease" units to China and destroying them by attacking a third civ's bunker unit outside Kunming, you generate reinforcements for the Chinese civ, allowing them to effectively defend against the Japanese. Once the road is cut, you must try to transport them by air. And that's the problem.

Initially, I used airports in N. India and China to move the L-L units, but once the Japanese based fighters in north Burma, virtually all the air transport attempts were shot down. I'm looking for a success rate of about 66% after the Japanese take Myitkyna. Various other plans were considered and discarded, leaving me with only abstract events to simulate the effects of air supply to China. I'm not satisfied with this state of affairs, and I'll keep trying for something better.

1 & 2 above mean a complete overhaul of the events file, which has grown in a disorganized and ramshackle way as the scenario progressed. I often have to do this when I get to a certain point in a scenario and it feeds my procrastination like nothing else.

3) Re-do the British tech tree. A more extensive and detailed tech tree would force the British player to make hard strategic choices, eg. air supply for China first vs. build up of your own forces, or Chindits vs. landing craft etc. British logistics did not allow all formations to be supplied for offensive purposes, so it is also a way to slow the British buildup, so their major counter-offensive takes place on a more historical timetable (44-45).

No promises as to when this miscreant will be finished, but I do have a couple of days off to work on it. I'll give an update next week, I hope.

Is it possible yet with ToTPP to air transport land units in cargo planes? If this feature could be added your problem with the hump would be solved. I would suggest the paradrop/transport aircraft option but that would probably mess up your Chindit units and would also deny the Japanese fighers the option to shoot down Transport planes in transit.

One compromise solution would be to use the paradrop/transport aircraft option using existing paradrop range and have a series of airfields between India and Kunming for the C-47's to stop off at each turn. A house rule stating that these units can only use the airfields to daisy-chain their way from India to China would prevent any exploits. The Japanese would also have an opportunity to attack the airfields while the units are resting between the Allied turns.

Obviously without having seen the scenario in any detail I can't say how viable this option would be, but I thought I would throw the idea out there. I'm really keen to play Burma :D

Two other options I've considered are the para-planes you suggest, and multi-turn aircraft that take several turns to make the journey and also serve as lend-lease units. The airfields you suggest might work but they either have to be garrisoned with powerful ground units or risk Japanese and Chinese planes stopping there, blocking the route.

The multi-turn aircraft option could also work, but it would involve a house rule so the units (C-46 Commandos) couldn't land at cities like Ft. Hertz along the way, as they weren't Hump bases. In either case, I would have to beg an additional unit from the patient Mr. Birch.

Here is a screenie of the northern part of the map. The Burma Road is in red, the Hump routes are in blue, and the Ledo (Stilwell) Road built by the Americans is in yellow.

Attachments

• Hump.png
    Hump.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 159
I'm deleting the River Launches. I used the ToT Patch Project to allow naval units to travel on rivers, but the AI didn't get the message. The boats just sit where they're spawned and don't move.

I decided not to add ocean terrain to my rivers to make them navigable, as this would require significant re-working of the map. Much of the fertile terrain that sustains the cities would be lost.

Otherwise, a retesting of the airlift option shows close to zero chance of avoiding the Japanese fighters. It will have to be plan 'B'. Whichever that is. :undecide:

What happens if no Lend-Lease gets through to China:

Support for China was the only reason the Americans were interested in Burma. (vs. the British, who were only interested in getting their colony back.) Capture of Kunming by the Japanese is deemed to lead to a collapse of China, and a withdrawal of US forces from the theatre. Hence, the loss of Kunming is considered the loss of the game.

Attachments

• HumpFail.png
    HumpFail.png
    458.6 KB · Views: 183
I remember that War of the Rings: Return of the King scenario (third scenario in a trilogy that were absolutely masterful for RPG-like complex use of exploits and events, especially given it was an MGE scenario, and thus certainly without ToTPP and such), where, despite a big map and lots of cities, if you lost Minas Tirith, a city right on the front line constantly being hammered by the AI, you immediately lost. It strikes me you have a similar sticky situation of victory or defeat conditions in this scenario, techumseh. While certainly historically, I do agree that getting SOME form or other of lend-lease working is obviously a priority, and I can certainly see how now that you point out Kunming's importance there.

I've made good progress on organizing the events, if not finishing them. I made this Table of Contents, which will make the events searchable using the 'find next' feature of Notepad. I should have done it at the start; it would have been much faster. I now have well over 200K of events, more than double what's allowed in ToT without the Patch Project. I hope to cut that back by more streamlining of events, but I still have to redo the Hump and Lend-Lease events.

;TABLE OF CONTENTS
;
;Section 1.0, General Events
;
;Section 2.0, Japanese Events
;
; 2.1, Japanese Flags
;
; 2.2, MoveUnit Events
;
; 2.3, Japanese Reinforcements
;
; 2.31, Misc. Reinforcements
;
; 2.32, Mandalay Reinforcements
;
; 2.33, Historical Reinforcements
;
; 18, 56, 31, 15, 2, 54, 53, 49 Divs
;
; 2.34, Historical Air Reinforcements
;
; 2.35, Naval Reinforcements/MoveUnit Events
;
; 2.36, Replacement Events/Air
;
; 2.37, Replacement Events/Land
;
; 2.4, Operation U-GO
;
; 2.41, MoveUnit Events
;
; 2.42, Reinforcements
;
; 31, 15, 33 Divs
;
; 2.5, Indian Uprising
;
; 2.6, Bay of Bengal Landing
;
; 2.7, Japanese Counter-attacks
;
;Section 3.0, British Events
;
; 3.1, British Flags
;
; 3.2, British Reinforcements
;
; 3.21, Historical Reinforcements
;
; 17InD, 7ABde, 23InD, 14InD, 77Bde, ChDx2, 26InD, 5InD, 7InD,
; 20InD,ChD, 81WAD, 26InD, ChTRgt, 254InABde, 36BrD,ChDx2,
; 23InBde, 50InPBde, 3InD, 3CBde, ChTRgt, 268InMBde, 50InTBde,
; 82WAD, 255InABde, 28EABde
;
; 3.22, Historical Air Reinforcements
;
; 3.23, Naval Reinforcements
;
; 3.24, Engineering Reinforcements
;
; 3.25, Replacement Events/Land
;
; 3.26, Replacement Events/Air
;
; 3.3, Supply to China
;
; 3.31, "The Hump" Airlift
;
; 3.32, Stilwell Road
;
;Section 4.0, Chinese Events
;
;Section 5.0, Thai Events
;
;Section 6.0, Lend-Lease Events/Chinese Flags
;
;Section 7.0, Monsoon Events
;
;Section 8.0, Calendar Events
;

...The multi-turn aircraft option could also work, but it would involve a house rule so the units (C-46 Commandos) couldn't land at cities like Ft. Hertz along the way, as they weren't Hump bases. In either case, I would have to beg an additional unit from the patient Mr. Birch....

What did you need Tech?

Top Bottom