Term 1 - Domestic Department: "Tile by tile"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the settler might be safe, but even if we do found the city, a barb could come along and plunder the city. I'm not sure how far away the barbs are, though.

Originally posted by Shaitan
Our settler is two tiles from the overwhelming favorite for location. There is a barb 3 tiles from the current position of the settler. There will be a warrior produced in Noshuret in 2 turns. How would you like the movement coordinated?

My recomendation is to detach the Noshuret garrison immediately, join up with the settler and then proceed to founding the second city. The garrison will be replenished in 2 turns. This will delay founding the city by 2 turns (the settler is 2 turns from Noshuret). If we wait for the new warrior to be produced we will delay founding for 4 turns.

There is no danger in vacating the capital now as it will be regarissoned in 2 turns and we have more than a 2 turn view of territory with no hostiles present.

I think that Shaitan makes a fine suggestion and we should act on it. By doing this, we can also watch to see if the barbarian alters his course and heads away from our proposed city site. If so, we could still possibly found the city unprotected and have that warrior catch up. I trust the President's DP skills and judgment on this matter.

I would also propose producing nothing but warriors from Noshuret for the time being until we get the upper hand on these savages.

I concur your excelency

If I read the turnchat log right, there are two barbs. My recollection of barb behavior on this patch level is that they will both come our way, as opposed to ptw which is slightly more random.

Need to decide how to handle the worker as well... If one or both barbs heads in its direction, we could either send it with the settler at the risk of losing both if 2 barbs overwhelm the warrior, or to safety in Noshuret, at the expense of some idle turns until the barb threat is eliminated.

Also, are there future plans for this worker? Noshuret won't need extra food for another 27 turns, but at that point we will need to choose between irrigating to grow beyond size 4, or keeping the size down. The 27 turns are plenty to road over to the BG and do whatever tile improvements the 2nd town takes.

We have a good amount of very nice territory exposed. I'd like to see a city placement plan for the uncovered lands.

Based on coastline being revealed to North, West and East, plus our relative Southerly position on the mini map, there is a very good chance that we are on an island by ourselves. That would put our optimal central location somewhere southwest of Gorina. Please discuss a possible future palace jump.

And that I have. :) (I'm WAY ahead of you!)

Based on the fact that the current trend is more of an OCP build, I've done this: (Note, there's really no way of getting those four tiles - 2 mountains and plains) without messing up the city build pattern. It almost appears that we have another chokehold by the capital (I hope it is). A future warrior could explore that area. I also had to make room for a coastal city, as we picked continents I believe.

There's other worker priorities that I'd like to see, and those include:

- More workers in the near future
- Road and mine the tile 1 NE of Gorina.
- Mine the other wines by Noshuret
- Build a road to possible city #3 (S of Noshuret - where the warrior is standing)

I see that you have marked some locations with blue squares. Am I to assume that that is where you wish for cities to be built in the future? If so, I would go along with everyone of those except the one at the very far left and top of the map unless it is to be used as a heavy garrison to protect our harbor futher inland.

I think that looks like a good plan. I am in almost the exact same predicament in this game as one of my games. I am playing on Monarch as the French on continents, so I feel I can help alot in this phase of the game. Also, CT, what program do you use to create those maps? I know how to make screenshots and grids in-game, but how do you get the shade kind of thing where the tile is colored but you can still see what is on it?

@Hancock - yes, those ara city sites. So, which one at the left and top? I assume along the top mountain range? I spaced it so that there wasn't too much overlap, and that each mountain had 2 plains to "support" it. By support, I mean 2 extra food in the industrial era.

@naervod - Adobe trial and the good old screenshot. :) Though, I'm sure Paint Shop Pro 7 can do it too... The shading is done by setting the layer to transparent.

I'm going to make a thread on this..

I was meaning the one at the top right up against the mountains and the water.

The 2 coastal ones you mean? Anyway, the discussion is continuing here.

When you make the thread can you PM me a link to it? Thanks. Now I can make some of my own. :)

Originally posted by naervod
When you make the thread can you PM me a link to it? Thanks. Now I can make some of my own. :)

Look above your post. There's the link right there.

I thought you meant a thread about making maps like that. Silly me... :)

There's a problem. Some of those blue dots (like the one in the mountains) won't grow past size 6 (size 8 after rails).

Well, the blue in the mountain could simply be put one tile SE. That would at least partially solve that...

I would like to know from the domestic office how many workers we need currently. As I am sure you are aware, Nar Shadaa is producing approximately one worker every 10 turns. This is, however, stunting the growth of this city considerably. How many more should it produce before it begins focusing on its own well being?

Nar Shaddaa is all plains, and will never grow quickly as it is. I would like more granaries, but we really must expand. I'd like to hold off on the warriors a but, and start building more workers and settlers. We'll need about 1 worker per city. I'd like atleast 2 more (for a total of 6) - this way, we can have 2 sets of workers laying down roads each turn to our next city location. I'd also like our cities to be building workers and settlers rather than temples for a number of reasons:

1 - We're dead behind in expansion
2 - We can raise the lux slider if needed for a turn
3 - The cities are going to go back to size 1 or 2 each time a settler is built, making temples ineffective, as the luxs are keeping our cities in check.
4 - We might connect dyes soon - that's 2 luxs. We could trade for a 3rd if we had to. Other than that, we really shouldn't worry unless our cities get to size 6 or over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom