Term 5 Elections President and Leader Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefpaco

Emperor
This is the thread hosting the Term 5 Executive candidate debate (the President and Advisors). Candidates are encouraged to answer the following questions, address the questions in a speech, make a free speech, or say anything they wish to make the citizens of Phoenatica a little aware of your agenda and/or personality.

Any citizen is also free to add questions for any or all of the candidates here. Note that the election polls begin on the 29th.

Questions from the Inquisitors:

For all candidates
1) Do you regularly attend chat turns? If no, will you do so when elected? If not, why?

2) What are your qualifications for the position?

3) What are your overall goals for Phoenatica? How will you use your position to further those goals?

4) Which parts of the Democracy forum do you read? All of it? Cabinet threads? Citizen groups?

5) Do you vote in the polls? If not, why?

6) If elected to a cabinet position will you vote in the Cabinet Polls? If not, why?

7) If you are the highest Chain of Command link present at the appointed turn chat hour are you willing to take responsibility for running the game during that session?

8) Do you feel that the primary role of a cabinet member is to operate within the boundaries of the constitution? Or do you feel that the constitution is a document open to your interpretation?

9) Previous terms have seen the unexpected retirement (or attempted retirement) of several elected officials. Do you see any reason why you could not serve your full term in office if elected?

10) What method of victory do you advocate for Phoenatica?

11) Briefly describe how your election would advance that victory condition.

For current officials running again
12) What were the high points of your administration? What did you do that would make the citizens vote for you again?

13) In your past term did you have to act against your impulses to support popular (poll) decisions? When? Did you ever follow your impulses despite contrary popular decisions?

For candidates without prior elected office
14) What mistakes were made in the last administration and what would you have done differently?

1) Do you regularly attend chat turns? If no, will you do so when elected? If not, why?

Yes.

I was President, VP, and Trade Leader, so I have lots of experience.

3.) What are your overall goals for Phoenatica? How will you use your position to further those goals?

To lead us into a cultural victory, followed by a space ship!

4) Which parts of the Democracy forum do you read? All of it? Cabinet threads? Citizen groups?

All of it. :)

Yes.

6) If elected to a cabinet position will you vote in the Cabinet Polls? If not, why?

If I were in a cabinet posistion, yes. :) But the president usually doesn't vote...

7) If you are the highest Chain of Command link present at the appointed turn chat hour are you willing to take responsibility for running the game during that session?

Sure. :)

8) Do you feel that the primary role of a cabinet member is to operate within the boundaries of the constitution? Or do you feel that the constitution is a document open to your interpretation?

Yes, though there are times when extreme exceptions can occur.

9) Previous terms have seen the unexpected retirement (or attempted retirement) of several elected officials. Do you see any reason why you could not serve your full term in office if elected?

No.

10. What method of victory do you advocate for Phoenatica?

Culture and/or spaceship.

I will support the building of cultural improvements, and the acquasistion of vital trades for space crafts.

For current officials running again
12) What were the high points of your administration? What did you do that would make the citizens vote for you again?

Trade - Term 2, the Age of Trade. Zur and I agreesively traded resources and made us an economic powerhouse.

The Iroquois Wars - We just ended the wars and expanded our borders, allowing for new posistions to open. ;)

13) In your past term did you have to act against your impulses to support popular (poll) decisions? When? Did you ever follow your impulses despite contrary popular decisions?

No. I just play the games. :egypt:

Domestic
Originally posted by chiefpaco

Yes, but just listen in.

Mayor of Heliopolis and 1st Census Officer (both current)

3) What are your overall goals for Phoenatica? How will you use your position to further those goals?
Spaceship Victory or Cultural Victory. Set production for Spaceships parts(when science would allow it) and cultural buildings

I usually read most threads.

Yes

Yes

The Constitution should be followed, but it doesn't mean that it can be amended

No
Spaceship/ Cultural

Bulid ques with spaceship and cultural structures

14) What mistakes were made in the last administration and what would you have done differently?
I have not seen any real problems with the Domestics.

Originally posted by Shaitan
Since the debates are in combined threads, it would be helfful if candidates mentioned the office they are campaigning for.
I did.;)

Ehecatl Atzin. Running for Foreign Affairs Minister.

---Well, I've been to one. But I do plan on attending them. (wether I'm elected or not :) )

----I was ambasador to Greece recently.

--- Victory. But I also plan to better our relations with other nations, to at least try and avoid another conflict like the one we just got out of. If all else fails of course, the FA department will suport a war campaign.
What type of victory? Cultural. Expand our cultural borders to the outmost limit, actively try to flip other cities into our nation, (legaly of course) and protect Phoenetican interests, be it cultural, economical, scientific.

----I try to read as much as I can. I try to keep up to date in the government and the polls posts. The citizen forum I read almost completely.

--Yes.

---Yeah! One of the perks of being in the Cabinet!!

---The quesiton is: do you want me to take charge??? hehehe. Just kidding, of course I will.

---It's open to interpretation by the people. It is the cabinet's duty to follow what the people have chosen.

---I don't think so, no.

---Cultural, closely followed by an all out space race!

--- Actively seeking trade with the help of the Trade Minister. Pushing for more cultural improvements in our cities (old and new). Aggresively seeking to flip bordering towns into our nation (using culture, of course).

---- I don't think there have been any mistakes, nothing I would have done differently anyway.

CivGeneral. Running For Military Leader

1) Do you regularly attend chat turns? If no, will you do so when elected? If not, why?No, I will plan to attend them :)

I am Currently the Mayor of El Armana. I have Experiance with combat in CivIII

Since Phoenatica is going for a Culture Victory. My Goal is to ensure that Phoenatica compleates it victory by defending Phoenatica against its enemies.

All of it

Yes

Yes

7) If you are the highest Chain of Command link present at the appointed turn chat hour are you willing to take responsibility for running the game during that session? Yes

8) Do you feel that the primary role of a cabinet member is to operate within the boundaries of the constitution? Or do you feel that the constitution is a document open to your interpretation? Within the Bounderies of the Consitution. Certan cases may be be open to interpretation.

No

Culture and/or Military

I would ensure that no Phoenatican City shall fall into enemy hands.

I have not seen any problems in the administraition

Curufinwe: Running for The Department of Culture.

I do and iwll contine to.

I've been cultural chat representative before, and and cultural leader.

3.) What are your overall goals for Phoenatica? How will you use your position to further those goals?
Just get us to the cultural victory. I'll rush as many buildings as I can.

All.

As many as I can find, sometimes I'll run behind.

6)6) If elected to a cabinet position will you vote in the Cabinet Polls? If not, why?
I will.

7)7) If you are the highest Chain of Command link present at the appointed turn chat hour are you willing to take responsibility for running the game during that session?
Nay, I couldn't because I'm only on the ocmputer for short bursts.

I follow the constitution most all the time, rare exceptions which are accidents. Shaitan usually fixes those.

Nay, I'll be gone a few days here and there, but overall I'll be fine.

10. What method of victory do you advocate for Phoenatica?
Culture, maybe space ship.

I'm culture leader, and I always rush things, focussing on libraries and universites, and now research labs.

No, as soon as something that hurt me, but would be good for phoenatica, I supported all before the culture, especially in the war.

I know I don't really need to debate (at least not yet), but this information will be for the good of Phoenatica.

Octavain X
Candidate for Trade Leader

1. Yes

2. I served as deputy leader of the dept. of Trade under Waterz, mostly during his absence.

3. I wish VICTORY for Phoenatica. I think with actions of the Dept. of Trade, like gifts of fine spices and incense, will make us more eligible for a Diplo Victory.

4. I read all parts of the Demo game forum. Nothing, well, mostly nothing, escapes my watchful eye.

5. Yes

6. Yes

7. Yes

8. I believe that the constituion is not a stirct group of laws, but a document that is supposed to guide leaders into the correct decisions.

9. No

10. Any of the 'peaceful' methods (culture, diplo, space ship)

11. The Trade Dept. can be most useful to the diplo. victory. As this office is in charge of trading, it could arragne gifts to increase our ally's and rival's esteem.

12. N/A

13. N/A

14. I can't help but notice the department has been rather inactive in the last term. I hope to change that, making sure the people know of all our trading activity, and our trade options.

Running for Science Leader

Yes... I attend about every turn chat.

Term 1: Science Chat rep
Term 2: Science Deputy
Term 3: Science Leader
Term 4: Science Leader

My goal is the same as last time: To include the citizens as much as possible. You can guess how I'll use my poistion to do that ;)

I try to read all of it, but their is still some threads that surprise me.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes. I didn't have a chance to play last term when I was VP, because I mis-read the GMT and got their late.

I feel you should follow the constitution as much as possible. Through if broken it will be a good reason ;)

No.

Space Race. Through we will need to research faster for we can build the techs needed for it.

I will try to make tech research as fast as possible and urge govonors to pre-build for space parts.

Free Speech
We are the most powerful nation in the world. Maybe even the universe! We have conquered are enemies, and gave peace to are friends. But you must ask this question: "Who is are friends? Everyone as declared war on us." That is not all true. I say are friends are the one person we have not warred with yet. The English. They have never betrayed us like are so called friends the Iroquois who seized and opptuninty to attack us. The Iroquois along with the americans, egyptians, greeks, and the chinese lay in ruin. I repeat: "We are the most powerful nation in the world.", but are time may soon end. Some day their will be a country strong enough to defeat us. Strong enough destroy us. That's why I say we must make Term 5 the best term we ever had. We must leave are name in history!

We must be known as the strongest nation ever to exist!!

...and I need your vote!

I decided to make a speech rather than answer the questions. (If anyone really wants to know my answers they can find the old term three inquisitors thread.) ;)

My goal for Phoenatica is a simple one: victory. Victory as soon as possible and victory for us all. We are well on our way to culturally dominating the world and I would make no effort to block that path. (Though I wouldn't mind selling off those evil libraries built with the bomes of our people during our ancient despotic period). But I digress. Now that SETI has proved the existence of other life in the universe I would push for us to build a spaceship. One in which we could have five year missions to explore the galaxy and make contact with other sentient life forms and intelligent beings. We could also visit Apolytonia. ;) Perhaps we could time things so that our spaceship will be completed even as we acheive cultural domination of our planet! If we can do this then we will know we have fulfilled our destiny...

For all candidates
Yes

Term1: Science Leader
Term2: Science Leader
Term3: Science Deputy
Term4: Governer of Kashmir
By the last qualification I mean I will always try to be there for Phoenatica, cause some governers were missing.

Win the game. We can research the need technologies.

I try to read all of it, but there are some things that i miss.

Yes

Yes

I will if i have access to the game (Civ3).

I feel that the Constitution is a document open to mine, and everyone else's interpretation.

Sometims I don't have Civ3 on a computer that can play it, other than that, Real Life.

I heard we were to win by Culture, but i would like to see Space Ship.

I will research needed technologies for the S.S.

Nothing except to not have passed the amendment to only allow citizens to run for one position instead of 2.

In term 4 you were absent for a significant portion of the term. After returning you were slow to respond to your constituents' requests. Please comment on these items. Also, if elected for this term will you be present for the entire term?

Sense Shaitan seems to want to get the debate and hate up I'll help him out. So here is some of my own.

To Donsig:
During Term 3 how many times were you warned for not following the constitoution?

To everyone:
How many times have you had a PI over you not following the rules?

Originally posted by Shaitan
Why was there no garrison in PDX on that fateful turn?

I was following Falcon's orders to place units in every city, however, I could not find enough units that haven't already moved. There were also a lot of cities with immortals in them that I was concerned about.

The other part may be a personal lack of experience with modern wars in Civ3. :) Of which, I've learned quite a bit in the demogame. I've talked with other officials, all whom have learned something from this game. Mainly, I never knew about the AI abusing an ROP agreement like that.

Originaly posted by Strider
To everyone:
How many times have you had a PI over you not following the rules?

I never had a PI on me.

To all candidates:
Have you ever proposed a change to the constitution?
What was it?
What did you propose it?
Did it succeed?
Are you likely to propose changes in this next term?
Such as? (esp ones to do with your position!)

(this will establish more of a policy platform hopefully!!)

Originally posted by Strider
Sense Shaitan seems to want to get the debate and hate up I'll help him out. So here is some of my own.
Hate? That's harsh. There's no hate there, Strider. Just important questions that pertain directly to the ability of candidates to run their offices. For whatever reason, both issues weren't addressed during the term and as a concerned citizen I need answers before I can vote.

Chieftess - Thanks for the prompt and honest answer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom