Terrain Texture Enhancement 2k

Looks crispy! Plenty of bump mapping going on. More contrast too. Very enjoyable.

The grassland textures are brown, however... Is this normal?

I’m playing continents plus with the Shoshones. I just settled a city

Im sorry for yet another reply..
If zoomed in, the terrain looks very smudgy. Stuff like marsh especially. Just a but blurry and smudgy. If zoomed out to ‘bout 75% and up, it’s super crispy.
Texture quality is set to high (default) in settings

Im sorry for yet another reply..
If zoomed in, the terrain looks very smudgy. Stuff like marsh especially. Just a but blurry and smudgy. If zoomed out to ‘bout 75% and up, it’s super crispy.
Texture quality is set to high (default) in settings
The original textures are only a collection of green, brown and grey. Therefore it is not noticeable when you zoom in that there is no resolution. Personally, I find it a step back when you uninstall the Texture Package. I have got used to the weaknesses of the engine, unfortunately there is nothing more that we can do.

One thing would be possible, to increase the displacement effect, but this results in an very rough terrain. Have a look at the first few pages of this thread. In my opinion the current state is a good balance between details and vanilla game feeling.

idk if its just me but v12 looks really bad compared to v11. very smudgy. Like, something is obviously not working as intended. I went back to v11 and it looks good again.

I see that it depends on zoom level, dx9/dx11 settings and tesselation, the detail and quality of the textures as seen onscreen. The v12 is perfect given you calibrate it right.

@Estebanium Any plans on further work for snow textures?

i like more old version. How i can download old textures?

UPD: Boomabar, THANKS!!! :D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I've made a lite version of Estebanium's excellent work. For some people the game doesn't handle 2k textures well, so I downscaled Estebanium's textures back to 1k with some minor color adjustments. I've based it on v11 since that was closer to the vanilla look. Thanks to Estebanium for their work and for giving me the permission the share this
Changes:
- Almost all textures downscaled by half, bringing them back to the vanilla size. Some minor textures (citybase etc.) still remain upscaled from vanilla because their resolution was originally too low. I can reduce them back to vanilla size if anyone's having performance problems.
- Minor color adjustments: Plains are yellower (more like vanilla) and (iirc) African grassland is greener, probably some more very minor tweaks that I can't remember now. I tried to increase vibrancy for forests (while making the American forests less orange), hoping to make them blend better with the new color palette, not sure how much it affected the look though.
-Added a modified, less green shallow sea texture.

--Update 04.12 : I did some more work on euro grass and desert textures, making them blend better, highly suggest the 15 people :) using this to get this update.

I'll probably make some other minor adjustments as I play, I can take requests but I'm nowhere near skilled as the original author and can't do much except simple stuff like recoloring/denoising/AI upscaling.
You can see the comparison as attached (I may have done some more adjustments after these were taken though)

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/estebaniums-terrain-texture-enhancement-lite.29537/

Attachments

• b-1k-lite-final.jpg
    b-1k-lite-final.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 330
  • c-2ktexench.jpg
    c-2ktexench.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 335
  • a-vanilla.jpg
    a-vanilla.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
I'll probably make some other minor adjustments as I play, I can take requests but I'm nowhere near skilled as the original author and can't do much except simple stuff like recoloring/denoising/AI upscaling.
You can see the comparison as attached (I may have done some more adjustments after these were taken though)

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/estebaniums-terrain-texture-enhancement-lite.29537/
This is now a must have QOL mod. The other was causing crashes, any further increase in performance is appreciated!

Oddly enough, I recall reading a post about how to fix marsh textures showing up as tundra textures. Then I installed this mod & almost immediately after, now my marsh textures show up as tundra textures. Even after uninstalling the mod, my marshes are still tundra textures. And now that I'm actively looking for that detailed "fix," of course I can't find it.

Last edited:
Oddly enough, I recall reading a post about how to fix marsh textures showing up as tundra textures. Then I installed this mod & almost immediately after, now my marsh textures show up as tundra textures. Even after uninstalling the mod, my marshes are still tundra textures. And now that I'm actively looking for that detailed "fix," of course I can't find it.
So this mod triggers the issue?

Either this one or possibly, This mod did, I can't recall now.

Edit:
And, btw, thanks for trying to help.

Last edited:
I installed this Artful Terrain mod & the issue is gone for now, no more marshes showing up as tundra. However, I'm sort of still wondering what's going to happen if I uninstall that, will I go back to marshes-as-tundra, or marshes as default marshes...

Top Bottom