Terrorist attack in France at a newspaper office: at least 11 dead.

Steph

Multi Many Tasks man
Retired Moderator
Not good. Not good at all. :(

Latest I heard is 12 dead, and the attackers are on the run and holding one hostage.

Only time will tell how this will affect our freedom of expression...

Before the inevitable comments, I just want to say these scum no more represent Muslims then the Lord's Resistance Army or the Westboro Baptist Church represents christians.

One of the last drawing from one of the cartoonist killed in the attack...

Yes, they do no represent Muslims as a whole. Nevertheless, they represent some muslims (fundamentalist terrorist ones).

Well this will fit nicely with the recent protests in Germany.

Isn't this the third or fourth fundamentalist attack in just a few months? Are any of these attacks related (apart from all being islamist inspired)?

Before the inevitable comments, I just want to say these scum no more represent Muslims then the Lord's Resistance Army or the Westboro Baptist Church represents christians.

No, they don't. But unfortunately, they can't be easily recognized apart from the other Muslims either. And singling them out in speech requires longer and more complex sentence structures than what most people are willing to afford them. But all that is an ancient problem, and we'll continue to stumble along with it.

What is more interesting however, is whether or not these attackers claim affiliation with the Islamic State. Then Europe is in for a whole new reality.

It's all a matter of the Bell Curve. It's a numbers game. The more adherents of a faith, the more psychopaths will be in that faith. And, the level of offense directed towards that faith, the more likely people will respond. Islam has created this sad turn of events where it's just massively easier to offend than it really should be. So, more offended psychopaths. But, it's really human nature. It only takes a few bad apples to totally cross the line

The Satanic display in Oklahoma was vandalized.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2885410/Satanic-display-Florida-Capitol-damaged.html

The guy staging fake racist attacks (to see if Canadian defend minorities) ended up getting physically attacked.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...m-experiment-ends-with-sucker-punch-1.2816837

The Mohammed cartoons get an incredible amount of anger. They precipitated mass protests, and while they were just a precipitation, the Mohammed cartoons will continue to be a much more aggravating piece of offense than before.

This is pretty sad. My sympathies to the families and to the French in general. :(

Fine. But it's rather disgusting that your first reaction is to preemptively accuse others of bigotry instead of sympathizing with 12 people killed by intolerant monsters. You don't care about the actual victims, just about "potential future victims" that fit into your little worldview of who the "real victims" are. So the real victims are not the 12 killed by radical muslims, but rather the muslims that may get a funny look on the street. Bah.

My sympathies to our French brethren. Hope you catch 'em, try 'em, and throw 'em in a hole for the duration.

This is pretty sad. My sympathies to the families and to the French in general. :(

Fine. But it's rather disgusting that your first reaction is to preemptively accuse others of bigotry instead of sympathizing with 12 people killed by intolerant monsters. You don't care about the actual victims, just about "potential future victims" that fit into your little worldview of who the "real victims" are. So the real victims are not the 12 killed by radical muslims, but rather the muslims that may get a funny look on the street. Bah.

And it's pretty disgusting that you are using this an attempt to attack me, im not going to stoop to that level.

And it's pretty disgusting that you are using this an attempt to attack me, im not going to stoop to that level.

12 innocents were killed and all you got to say is "the killers don't represent all muslims!!" How am I misrepresenting you?

12 innocents were killed and all you got to say is "the killers don't represent all muslims!!" How am I misrepresenting you?

I didn't say misrepresent, i said attack. I'm done talking to you Luiz, go bother someone and attack them instead.

And the moderate adherents have to accept a little responsibility for this phenomenon.

Yeah, a bit. And we can put some of the blame on the YECs for creating propaganda tools that make it easier to trick Muslims into thinking the Qur'an is literally true.

The scariest forms of Islam have a terrific weakness in that they assume the infallibility of the Qur'an. It's a lot easier for Islam to be benign if that's not held to be true.

Terrible news. Let's hope we won't get any more like these in the near future.

useless, your logic pops up whenever there's a mass shooting too.

The pro gun crowd cries "Responsible gun owners aren't to blame for a few bad apples."

Most people are able to distinguish the fallacy made here, it's a pity you can't.

I didn't say misrepresent, i said attack. I'm done talking to you Luiz, go bother someone and attack them instead.

If I'm portraying your opinion correctly, as per your admission, how am I attacking you? Unless you recognize that your opinion is pretty abhorrent.

Recon Rover is right, it's the same with mass shootings. But note that even the NRA has the sensibility of extending their sympathies to the victims and their families before asking that responsible gun owners not be lumped with the "bad apples". So your empathy level is lower than that of the NRA. Make of that what you will.

Just recently in Turkey there was a suicide bomb that done by Marxist activist, however non of the people here in Turkey or internationally try to related the event with Marxist movement in general, and it will be never be the topic. And all these sort of things are happen, perpetuated by various radical element from various ideological background, but it is not representing the whole people who hold this particular ideology in general.

However it is different if it is related to Muslims. Any single act that are committed by the random Muslims individual or group, makes most of the whole Muslim population feel responsible, worry and feel punished by the action they never did or endorse in the first place. And their religion been put to blame and question. And not rare they illogically apologizing for the act that they never committed in the first place. In this sense a repetition reminder from someone like Useless or other is valid, to put everyone in the right perspective to react on the issue, and not to use this event to agitate more resentment and generalization to the Muslims.

That's all I wanted to say.

Yeah, a bit. And we can put some of the blame on the YECs for creating propaganda tools that make it easier to trick Muslims into thinking the Qur'an is literally true.

The scariest forms of Islam have a terrific weakness in that they assume the infallibility of the Qur'an. It's a lot easier for Islam to be benign if that's not held to be true.

Not really, unless you're talking really loosely. Refusal to accept scientific knowledge may be scary, frustrating, and stupid if you've built your worldview from scientific knowledge, but it is not sufficient to bring fault to bear on somebody unwilling to murder people for a cartoon because somebody else is willing to murder over a cartoon. At the point we are willing to assign culpability that broadly I might was well be accusing you of culpability for that fella that shot up the capital since you participate in a governance moderate enough to tolerate those of his creed. No?

Top Bottom