Text and translations

Cool. There is going to be a small update sometime later today to fix the royal galleon issue, so if you have any translations done and want to get them in feel free to upload what you have now. Not sure when the next major update will be though, probably a week or two, and that would probably be the best time to get all your translations in.

Hello Clausewitz (I write in english so that all the non-germans can read it, too)

The german translations that were mentioned are just the translations of the revolutions part.
I am working on getting translations for the unit names and a lot of other stuff into the game. So you just have to wait or to start translating on your own, but that will take some time.

Hi Heini! Thanks! I did quickly translate some things just to make the missing translations less "striking". It's not so perfect so I rather do not upload them... I think I will just wait a little bit now...

By the way: I think some translations should be included in Rhyes and Fall already - for instance the dynamic civ names. Maybe you can merge them from there.

Ok, I am downloading the newest Version 0.9.7c and then I will take a look if there are some changes in the files I changed and then i guess I will upload the first german translationspack. There is still a bunch to translate but I translated most of the stuff that is needed while playing. (What I did not translate yet is some backgrounds of leaders and so on).

So here are the xml files I changed to play the game in german. I also added some of the now missing finnish translations.

Just replace the files inside the folders with my files. Be careful and do not replace a folder with one of mine, since there are not all files inside. Replace file by file into the specific folder.
The direction is the following: your civ4 folder/beyond the sword/Mods/LoR/Assets/XML

I would be happy to get some featback from the german players.

To Phungus:
I put all the translations into the newest 0.9.7c Version so that you can just replace the files unless you didn't change some of them again already.

Edited: I uploaded everything again, since I forgot some things with austria.

Attachments

• changed xml.7z
    962.4 KB · Views: 70
I am constantly looking for some feedback. I know, that have been only 2 views yet, and I guess that one is from phungus and one from clausewitz.
Phunugs: did you incorporate it so that it will be part of the next version

clausewitz: what do you say about my translations?

@Heini:

I do greatly appreciate your work on translations. And will incorporate them into the next update. I haven't gotten around to it yet because achilleszero PMed me and said his computer died and he has no money to get another one. He also hasn't logged into Civfanatics in over a week. Development of LoR has stopped for the time being due to this; I hope he gets things sorted and fixed, but for now I have to reassess what will happen with LoR in case achilleszero does not return to the project.

@Heini:

Very, very nice! I just checked most of the translations in the science tree... I translated most things in the same way and you translated some things (especially the ships) better than I did.

Did you also make the dynamic civ names work for German?

Here are some suggestions:
Wall Street > Börse (because it's a national wonder)
Mining Inc. > Krupp AG
Cereals Inc. > Kelloggs AG
Kruppstahlwerke > Deutsche Fabrik
Königstiger > Tiger (there were hardly any Königstiger built and I think the graphics show a Tiger)
Angriffs-U-Boot > Jagd-U-Boot

Anyone claimed an Italian version of LoR yet? I'm sure I could do a horrible pidgin version to at least motivate someone else to do a real version.

Mining Inc. > Krupp AG
Königstiger > Tiger (there were hardly any Königstiger built and I think the graphics show a Tiger)
Please don´t change the original names.

A translation shouldn´t really change anything in the game except language.
Just my 1/50 $...

@Heini:

Mining Inc. > Krupp AG

Thanks for the feedback.

I think Jagd-U-Boot is better than Angriffs-U-Boot.
I already renamed the "German Panzer" with "Tiger", and the "Tiger" with "Königstiger". So what name should I give the German Panzer, since "Panzer" doesn't work and "Deutscher Panzer" sounds boring and not like a tank name. What does the graphic show? A "Panther" maybe?

Do you think renaming all the incorporations makes the game nicer? I think Kruppstahlwerke for the german factorie is good.
And to rename Wall Street into Börse collides with the english building for the market, that already is named Börse.

But Jagd-U-Boot, that makes it even more attractive to build since it sounds cooler.

Heini your translations are in the SVN. The update to BUG 4.2 caused some things to change though. You probably will want to have a look at them, and make some new adjustments. Instructions on how to find and use LoR's SVN can be found here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=344056

Hi again!

Some more comments to the "germanized" version:

About the corporates: I think they should at least be translated. In the current german (original) game, the corporates have kept their american names which I don't like very much. I think the legal forms should be translated to German (only "AG" makes sense here) and also the subject of the companies should be translated. I personally would even change the names of the companies to really existing international corporates (like Kelloggs or Krupp) - but I guess that's a matter of taste.

About the tanks: The german version of the early tank is a A7V. I think in general in Germany during World War I (which is the period of the early tank), the word "Panzer" did not exist yet. Germans used the English word "Tank" back then. My suggestion: "Early Tank" > "Tank" in German and the German flavored early tank > "A7V" (if that's possible). The normal German tank graphics shows a "Panzer IV" and the heavy version a "Tiger" (not a Königstiger). That's how I would name them as well.

One more suggestion: "Wasserschutzwall" is a wrong translation. Correct would be "Staudamm".

I have updated all the leaders with diplo text. This was such an arduous process. Anyway after doing this I've come to the conclusion it will take me a while to add in enough leaders to justify using strategic. So that will wait for a later update. One thing I am willing to wait on for is some translations of the new diplomacy text. I know there are a couple of Germans willing to translate, so I'll wait on that. It will be alot better for German speakers if when they meet a civ the language doesn't automatically change on them. Also would be nice to get some other translations, French, Italian, Spanish and Finnish if people want to write those.

So here is the diplomacy text file. Heini, Snophru or whoever else please translate it with some quickness. The faster this is done, the sooner I can release an official update to the mod. Also if there are some more text files which could use a couple translations, available in the SVN. These are minor though, as they are mostly BUG updates, and thus should have German translations anyway.

I went through and compared all the Text files to LoR 0.9.7 with Heini's changes. There are some BUG and revolutions stuff, as well as a couple changes of mine in addition to the Diplo text above, that someone can pick up for translating if they feel so bold. Not sure how long it'll take to translate, I'll give it a few days, but if there is no update by the weekend, I'm just going to release 0.9.8 without translations. Also I've removed the attachment on the above post, and put the diplo text in this attachment with the other text changes.

I would be willing to do the German translation, but how do I open the file to change (rewrite) it? Im such a noob in such things.

I would be willing to do the German translation, but how do I open the file to change (rewrite) it? Im such a noob in such things.
You can simply use the Editor that comes with windows (or Wordpad).

I´d like to help, too, but unfortunately I have guests in my house until sunday that need to be attended most of the time so I can´t do anything until then. To avoid duplicate work: If there are "leftovers" until Sunday, just post here which files and I can work on them then (only german translation).

If you're working on some translations let me know, or upload up or whatever. I'm going to put up the 0.9.8 installer soon. Would be nice to have some tranlslated diplo text and what not.

If you're working on some translations let me know, or upload up or whatever. I'm going to put up the 0.9.8 installer soon. Would be nice to have some tranlslated diplo text and what not.
Hi Phungus!

I have just started on working on the translations. I will leave out the strategy text as this is quite complicated and needs some fundamental knowledge on the units described there which I don´t have. I will see what I can produce until midnight here (in 7 hours) focussing on diplomacy and will post this then.

Is that a deal?

Ok, post what you got and I try to to what's left tomorrow morning, in about 12 hours from now.

Here we go:

I have finished the german translation of (some of these were already fully translated to german):

Advanced Combat Odds Options.xml
AdvancedCombatOdds_CIV4GameText.xml
Autolog_CIV4GameText.xml
BUG_CIV4GameText.xml
BUGOptions_CIV4GameText.xml
Bull Misc Hovers Options.xml
BULL_CIV4GameText.xml
CIV4DiplomacyText_LoR_Leaders.xml
CIV4GameText_Objects_BTS.xml
New Text.xml

I have partly translated (until "TXT_KEY_UNIT_EARLY_FIGHTER_PEDIA"):

CIV4GameText_Civilopedia_Units.xml

I have not translated:

CIV4GameText_BTS.xml
CIV4GameText_Civilopedia_BTS.xml
CIV4GameText_Strategy.xml

Comments:

In CIV4GameText_Objects_BTS.xml I have changed in all languages "Barbarian Maurader" to "Barbarian Marauder" as I think this is a typo. I hope that this change has no adverse effects...
In the same file there are 2 entries with the header "TXT_KEY_UNIT_FRENCH_FOREIGN_LEGION". I haven´t changed anything here, just wanted to point out that something might be wrong.

Top Bottom