• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Thanking those who serve???

No? I've got a cousin who joined the Air Force some... nine years ago, I figure, right out of high school with zero work experience and little skills beyond how to roll a blunt with one hand. And I've got another cousin who just became a Marine and I'm pretty sure the damn kid never held more than some kind of gas station attendant job. What sort of experience and skills do the various branches require?

You have to be breathing.

You have to be in good enough shape to get through basic training.

You have to be smart enough to be able to do exactly as you are told without screwing up too often.

I think the rest is pretty much optional these days. All those Reservists and National Guardsmen who were forced to deploy want to go home to their families, so they aren't exactly being very selective anymore.

You have to be breathing.

You have to be in good enough shape to get through basic training.

You have to be smart enough to be able to do exactly as you are told without screwing up too often.

I think the rest is optional these days...

And you have to have a relatively clean arrest record.

No? I've got a cousin who joined the Air Force some... nine years ago, I figure, right out of high school with zero work experience and little skills beyond how to roll a blunt with one hand.

So in other words, just like most college students who just graduated? High school students with proven graduation records are not any random bum off the streets. In fact there is a whole battery of tests both physical and mental that every recruit has to pass.

Of course your cousin immediately went through boot camp, and then to an A school of some sort, so by the time he was actually being used by the Air Force he most definetly did have skills. Give your boy some credit :)

And I've got another cousin who just became a Marine and I'm pretty sure the damn kid never held more than some kind of gas station attendant job. What sort of experience and skills do the various branches require?

The same kind of things every entry level position requires, though on the more strict side. Your cousin has to pass random drug tests for instance :D

And you have to have a relatively clean arrest record.

And you have to have the prerequisite proficiency scores for your particular MOS/job.

This may come as a shock to some of you, but the military is not 100% infantry. There are actual technical positions. IT professionals, Engineers, Counter-Intelligence, etc. Officers need to have their Bachelor's degree, at least, before being commissioned. Many enlisted men & women obtain their degrees while serving.

Just because they are serving in the military does not mean they are "inferior."

I don't feel the need to thank people in the military now. I'll thank those that served in WWI and WWII, but now 'war' or no 'war' there is no reason to. They aren't helping me or providing me with a service. There is no "fighting for our freedom", or any of the other nonsense that spews from peoples mouths

So in other words, just like most college students who just graduated? High school students with proven graduation records are not any random bum off the streets. In fact there is a whole battery of tests both physical and mental that every recruit has to pass.

Of course your cousin immediately went through boot camp, and then to an A school of some sort, so by the time he was actually being used by the Air Force he most definetly did have skills. Give your boy some credit :)

No, he couldn't've gotten into any college worth a damn, the kid was lucky to graduate. And let's be honest, graduating high school ain't that much of a challenge if you've got seven or more brain cells. If that weren't the case... he wouldn't have.

But you put him through boot camp, didn't you?

The same kind of things every entry level position requires, though on the more strict side. Your cousin has to pass random drug tests for instance :D

Well, since cousin Air Force got into the club, he says the members' candy is even better than his old weed. From similar, unrelated experience, I'm inclined to agree. ;)

Anyway, I'm way off topic here. My point was that you take unwashed masses (that aren't high school dropouts or criminals or junkies) and beat 'em into soldiers. Nine years out, cousin Air Force owns a house (bought it three years ago) that's not about to be foreclosed on, zero student loan debt, and enough booger dough to cover his, hers, my, and mine's drinks any time we go out. And he goes to freakin' Germany all the time! Sure, it's work, but Germany ain't Afghanistan. (He goes to Afghanistan sometimes too.) It's not that it doesn't sound like hard work. It's that it sounds like you can go from nothing to pretty damn decent bank in not a ton of time. I think what I'm getting at is what Ziggy was getting at at one point. I know Marine cousin's got a lot of flag-waving in his head, and Air Force cousin can shout "USA NUMBER ONE" almost as loud as I can shout, but the material benefit is remarkable for someone who's widely expected to flip slots flipping burgers, y'know?

No, he couldn't've gotten into any college worth a damn, the kid was lucky to graduate. And let's be honest, graduating high school ain't that much of a challenge if you've got seven or more brain cells. If that weren't the case... he wouldn't have.

I was talking about work experiance. Your average high school graduate has just as much of that as your average college graduate.

But you put him through boot camp, didn't you?

They sure did. Unfortunetly (fortunetly?) he doesn't qualify as "any old bum."

And he goes to freakin' Germany all the time! Sure, it's work, but Germany ain't Afghanistan. (He goes to Afghanistan sometimes too.)

Choose your rate, choose your fate.

It's that it sounds like you can go from nothing to pretty damn decent bank in not a ton of time. I think what I'm getting at is what Ziggy was getting at at one point. I know Marine cousin's got a lot of flag-waving in his head, and Air Force cousin can shout "USA NUMBER ONE" almost as loud as I can shout, but the material benefit is remarkable for someone who's widely expected to flip slots flipping burgers, y'know?

Like I said, I get his point, and it is certainly a factor. But guess what? Even if they payed me 500K a year to do this same job tomorrow all my altruistic reasons for continueing to do it would still be there.

I was talking about work experiance. Your average high school graduate has just as much of that as your average college graduate.

I guess the college graduates I know aren't average.

They sure did. Unfortunetly (fortunetly?) he doesn't qualify as "any old bum."

So all it takes is graduating high school with Ds?

Like I said, I get his point, and it is certainly a factor. But guess what? Even if they payed me 500K a year to do this same job tomorrow all my altruistic reasons for continueing to do it would still be there.

And I'm not saying that the money is the only motivator. Just that, damn, if I were gonna do it, it'd be for the money. Especially if I were an unskilled, unexperienced high school graduate with no real prospects for much of anything. That feel-good stuff is a nice bonus, but patriotism doesn't pay bills.

Just to interject here, you've made something of an issue over the fact that they'd pay you more in the private sector then your current job.

Why do you think they would do this?

I suspect it's something to do with the fact that the Navy has trained you up for free, given you some great work experience and made sure your probably going to have a minimum amount of competency. Employers highly value this. Somewhat in the same vein as LucyDuke, most people with no higher qualification (this isn't necessarily directed at you) don't have a hope in hell of getting those valuable skills and credentials through any other route. In the eyes of employers, the military turns lead into gold. And this makes recruits very valuable. Afterall, who wants lead?

So all it takes is graduating high school with Ds?

Actually, all it takes is having your GED.

And I'm not saying that the money is the only motivator. Just that, damn, if I were gonna do it, it'd be for the money. Especially if I were an unskilled, unexperienced high school graduate with no real prospects for much of anything. That feel-good stuff is a nice bonus, but patriotism doesn't pay bills.

The money simply isnt that great until you get into the more senior ranks with some time under your belt. As a young soldier, I had to moonlight a couple of different jobs to make ends meet for my family.

On a related question to all o' y'all in the military, how would you guys react to someone getting in your face about serving? And has it happened before? If so, how often?

I go out of my way to thank people who serve in the military.
In fact:
Thank you. You've done us good.

I hate when random people come up in talk to me when I am out somewhere. Guess I just take the feeling and assume a military person would feel the same way if I walked up them.

It's definately kinda weird in many cases.

Like what, now that one person did it do we need to make a line? Have they shamed everyone else?

I totally get the awkward thing.

I don't owe any individual soldier anything, unless they spotted me for Taco Bell or something.

Now, I'm not the sort of person who will condemn someone simply for being a soldier either, but I don't swing the other way, much to the disappointment of you G.I. Joes out there.

I hate when random people come up in talk to me when I am out somewhere. Guess I just take the feeling and assume a military person would feel the same way if I walked up them.

TBH, I never expected it, but politely accepted it when people wanted to give me a word for being in uniform in public. With regards to people trying to buy my breakfast in public when we were having a little business brunch in uniform, I didn't really like that it was the older folks offering to buy (being they were probably on a fixed income and I had a decent enough salary) always wanted to heroically do it. It's the kind of situation where you feel cretinous to accept, and cretinous to refuse. :)

It's a job, you get paid for it.

No reason to go out of your way to thank people who voulnteer to serve. It would be different if they were drafted.

That said, if every thing works out I'll be joining the marines in January. My motivation is I feel I need to move out of the house. Seeing as how I feel that I need *2,000 $ a month (post taxes) to live the way I am used too, I don't have a lot of options right now. I am about to finish my first two years of college (well in the major I want to finish, I already have an associates)

I want to do my last 2 years of college without working. So my plan is, do 4 years of work, save up and do my last two years of college with my full focus on class..... and a little bit on partying :mischief:.

More over I feel that the military is one of the only places that will respect my intellect (96 on the asvab). Now I am not saying I am a genius or anything, but a score higher than 96% of people is slightly higher than I predicted. It's not like I can convince any place where I would make 2k a month that despite the weak ass jobs I've done that " I am pretty smart" and being young and in shape is pretty much a requirement. So Check and Check.

Spoiler :
I intend to save a great deal of money while I am in the military and my grandpa said he will give me some money while I am in my last two years if I join. every month for my last two year. So before you say it, no I do not relive everything the recruiters tell me.

In short, no I don't think peole should go out of their way to thank military personal.

* And no I am not pampered or anything, I have a ragity old truck and have less than 30$ a week in spending money (that I earn myself). I am just used to my own room, not eating top ramen all the time. Having internet, not having room mates etc. If I am going to be on my own I at least want to make as much as my mom makes. Which would be a guarantee were I done with college, but I'd rather not struggle for two years.

You spend way too much money. I spend $185 a week on rent, leaving me $50 to live on - way to go Centrelink, social security in this country is fantastic - and I save money every week. Of course, it's at the expense of friends, fast food, entertainment and sex - women cost money, and don't any of you girls deny it, you're black holes for income - but I survive, because I'm awesome.

Good luck Elta. Marine boot-camp is very tough, so be sure to start training up for it now; Usually recruiters will help you get started.

$2000/month is pretty high for living expenses though. It took me a long time of service to get that high in monthly salary, and I chose to save as much as I could anyways. If you spend a lot of time in the military, plan on saving up your money for the day you get out, because one downer is you're only getting free rent, not paying off your house.

Top Bottom