The 2 gig wall from 32 bit games & Civ 6

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that Firaxis were thinking about 64bit for civ5 pre-release. Disappointed not to see it.
I was disappointed with vanilla civ5 in general - Ed Beach saved the <snip> that was left behind by Jon Shafer.

I have a pretty good feeling about civ6 so far - no reset in features and interesting city ideas. But I didn't pre-order because Firaxis/2K marketing is often out of touch with reality. When I see 64-bit support, then I will buy it... otherwise I'll just forget about civ entirely. I am tired of smaller and smaller maps.

Moderator Action: Offending word snipped.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Toft you are spot on with how I feel right now. I can live with cartoony graphix, I am sure the gameplay will be awesome and I like the direction of some of the mechanics, but all bets are off if we cannot have VERY large maps with dozens of Civs. I like Epic gameplay with some room to grow and 32 bit is going to create a block wall to that. I suppose we will wait and see what they reveal about the engine.

Mods>> if it is announced its 64bit where would you put it so I can find it? (I check this forum daily almost hourly now)

Mods>> if it is announced its 64bit where would you put it so I can find it? (I check this forum daily almost hourly now)

Going by the Beyond Earth precedent, once the entire minimum & recommended system requirements are confirmed, it will be placed in an official topped close thread within General Discussions.

I don't know what the plan is if either 64 bit only or 32 bit allowed is confirmed before the rest of the system requirements.

64-bit was never on the table for Civ 5. I'd be surprised if it was for Civ 6 as well, but you never know. It's a huge engineering effort for not nearly as huge of a benefit.

- Jon

Well, that certainly explains a lot.

Should be interesting to see what the sys specs are going to be then.

64-bit was never on the table for Civ 5. I'd be surprised if it was for Civ 6 as well, but you never know. It's a huge engineering effort for not nearly as huge of a benefit.

- Jon

Some PDX indy games like Cities Skylines is 64-bit only, allowing the game to have lots of mods without hitting the memory limit. Granted it is a city builder and some buildings are 10 MB+ each x however many buildings people download for their maps ; i'd expect most Civ6 mods wouldn't be so memory intensive, unless it is an entire scenario. I'm just surprised it is such a huge engineering effort to go 64bit

- Jon

Considering the engine is built from scratch, it shouldn't be that big effort. But I agree - the benefit isn't as huge as it looks for most gamers.

Glad to hear that there is going to be a new game engine for Civ VI. The old engine could not handle big maps at all and therefore they emphasized these "grand" 3 city empires. *Ugh*

With a new engine being, hopefully, 64 bit, they should be able to be less restricted.

This shouldnt even be a debate.

Its freaking 2016! 2016!

Whether its 32bit should be as pointless dicussing as whether Civ 6 going to be sold on a floppy disc.

32bit should of gone out with civ 5!

I would be surprised if it's still a 32-bit application, why go through the effort to make a new engine and have it be already obsolete when it's released?

There was certainly interest in 64-bit, but I believe the issue is that Steam is (was?) 32-bit only, which torpedoed things pretty early on.

- Jon

There was certainly interest in 64-bit, but I believe the issue is that Steam is (was?) 32-bit only, which torpedoed things pretty early on.

- Jon

^^^ Jon, I am not sure I understand. Gal Civ III is entirely 64 bit and its entirely a Steam released game.

Your comments kinda point into the direction that the game is indeed 32 bit which will indeed slam against that 2 gig wall. Your comment that its a huge effort for not much value is also kinda off. Stardock knew that the Gal Civ would need 64 bit in order to keep adding to it. Thus they went with the choice to build a custom 64 bit engine.

Civ 6 will undoubtedly have mods and that will also eat into the precious 2 gigs it has if it is 32 bit. Alas we will wait and see but if Civ 6 is indeed gated by being 32 bit I am probably not going to purchase it.

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-64-bit-version-of-Steam

That's not a factor whether Steam games are 64 bit or 32 bit. Steam launcher doesn't depend on this.

You can start with 32 bit also. It's just a selection, not a mandatory things.

Many player who are playing steam games , they can play also 32 bit. If you select it (32 bit ) the games will also be started. it's a simply a interface. It's not a condition if you select other bits. Steam launcher will automatically open.

or games existence 64 bit is a lot writer crucial, there are titles with both 32 and 64 bit versions, there are titles alone 64 bit, as 32 bit Steam guest can signaling also 64 bit games, it is not an printing.

Thank you. happy Steam gaming.

A good part of what's going on is that large parts of computer games are written in languages low enough that some of the primitive types change size depending on the OS bit size.
So once a 32 bit version has been made, you'd have to recheck the use of every single primitive to insure that it wouldn't break intended business rules when compiled for a 64 bit environment, which would have to be a full top to bottom recompile.

Civ 6 will be the first Civ since 3 where I don't have to buy a new machine just to run it well. The box I put together a few months back has a 5820k, so six physical cores, which I really hope the game will make use of. I went with the 5820k instead of a 6700k (quad core, but higher tacted) since I do audio rendering, so it wasn't just for gaming, but it was also with the hope that more computing intensive games would utilize the extra cores.

Top Bottom