The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Thread

I thought Spain was too cautious for their own good, and that’s why I thought there was a chance for Russia to hold them off.

They clearly planned for penalties and it paid off. It’s not pretty, but it was Spain’s game to lose. And the Russian team and fans must feel pretty good in Moscow right now...

I thought Spain was too cautious for their own good, and that’s why I thought there was a chance for Russia to hold them off.

They clearly planned for penalties and it paid off. It’s not pretty, but it was Spain’s game to lose. And the Russian team and fans must feel pretty good in Moscow right now...

I don't know how much more Spain could have committed forward without risking getting burned on the counter. Germany and Spain both faced the same basic problem - they lacked the imagination to break down a parked bus without bringing in the center backs, but were desperately exposed to counterattack if they brought one of them into the attack.

I feel like we're watching a sea change where success requires both pace up top and the pace in the center of defense to answer it. Possession-based play just doesn't get it done anymore in knockout tournaments, as sides have figured out how to park the bus with enough reliability to put those sides out. It wins 38 game domestic leagues, because it's the game plan with the highest mean result, but teams have figured out how to render it high variance in any given game.

WOW!!! I can't believe the Denmark goalkeeper saved that penalty kick in extra time.

Am I the only one who thinks that this should have been a red card? A yellow might be enough according to the current rules, but then I don't like these rules.

Day two of the 16th-finals. And a surprise (well, for most). No one has full points anymore. Nostradamus would be so disappointed ;P

With three points so far, the leading group is composed of AdrienIer, caketastydelish, Ferocitus, raen, Rik Meleet, Serutan, ThERat, Turquoiside and Uberfrog. Congrats to all, those of you to owe a reverent toast to Mother Russia know who you are! :)

Following with two points are Azale, BirraImperial, Ozbenno, red_elk, Sofista, Takhisis and Timsup2nothin.
(Some of you to owe a reverent toast with Vodka Tonic to Mother Russia, you know who you are! :)

One point for shadowplay and Snerk.
Forum vote so far gathered three points.

All to no avail in the end. But great penalty-killing by both sides.
What a disappointing Croatian side BTW.

A thought for Schmeichel, who saved as many penalties as his counterpart. Agree on Croatia, they started better but seemed to grow more and more cautious since half time. Which actually gave Denmark more space!

Dzyuba said: "We kept our word, now we want to try to do a big miracle".
Russia is in 1/4 for the first time since 1970. The best result was 4-th place in 1966.

Am I the only one who thinks that this should have been a red card? A yellow might be enough according to the current rules, but then I don't like these rules.
If the defender only tries to stop the attacker it is Red. If he tries to kick the ball (as it was here) it is Yellow.
I'm okay with this.

One of these teams is going to make it to the finals:

Russia
Croatia
Sweden
Switzerland
Colombia
England

England is the only team from this list that has won a World Cup...

From the way things are doing England or Croatia have the best chance.

How on earth was two Russian players each pulling a Spaniard down by the shirt at the same time not a penalty? Not that I like Spain or have any sympathy for the team, but, still.
If Neymar is out, the tournament will be rid of the worst.
Indeed. btw where's luiz?
Portugal was like other teams in first round, attacking attacking but Uruguai was plainly efficient!
Portugal are the same as Argentina, a team that deploys one larger-than-life superstar and hopes for the best.
Hello Kitty disagrees!
But our forecast doesn't.
The rules should say that it should be a red card, but they don't anymore.
One of these teams is going to make it to the finals:

Russia
Croatia
Sweden
Switzerland
Colombia
England

England is the only team from this list that has won a World Cup...
From the way things are doing England or Croatia have the best chance.
I'd say Sweden or Colombia right now, unless Russia get ‘help’ from the ref again. ;)

Colombia or Croatia v. Belgium, Uruguay or Spexico should make for a great final.

Russia plays a bit like Greece played in 2004...I totally hated it when Greece beat Czech, which in my mind was one of the fabulous teams that never won anything. I still sometimes watch the highlights of the Czech - Netherlands game which is one of the best games ever imho.

That said, I wasn't so unhappy to see Spain booted. Ramos alone is a reason to be happy to see them out.

You deserve it for banking on Denmark, Snerk. :shake:
Soo close though, urgh. Also the Danes' Norwegian coach is no traitor. He's quite popular and pretty much all the people who are into football in Norway were hoping the Danes would get through to the quarters.

If the defender only tries to stop the attacker it is Red. If he tries to kick the ball (as it was here) it is Yellow.
I'm okay with this.

That was a pretty anemic "tries to kick the ball," but it does provide enough cover for a really motivated ref.

Top Bottom