The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Thread

A win for Belgium = a win for the EU. I can see a lot of people wanting that.

We have a lone leader. Yes ladies, gentlemen and CFC members, with nine points Uberfrog, whose only hiccup was believing Messi (and his Merry Men) would save the day, takes the lead and heads for victory. Hats off!

If only I’d put some actual money on these results! :lol:

I don't want France to win, regardless of my personal desire for a Croatia-Belgium match, which I mentioned back during the groups tages, simply because of their little fix with Denmark. Denmark are already out, at least.

Someone has to beat England though - are France or Belgium the more likely?

Well, Belgium have already actually done it once. Anyway, there's the Slavs in the way, assuming the Swedes don't break my record.

Apparently Ingerland have a 8-9-7 record overall against Sweden, including two draws in WC matches (1-1 in '02 and 2-2 in '06, both in the group stages).

I wouldn't mind a Belgium - England rematch with our A-teams.

Also, what is now Belgium was conquered by France, Italy, Germany, The Netherlands, Austria-Hungary, Spain,... We are not known for our elite fight force yet for some reason the English never wanted to conquer us. I feel sad about that.

I'm with the 60% that speaks Dutch btw.

And Croatia has some great dynamic going on.

We are not known for our elite fight force...

While walking today we passed my son's old school where there is a memorial to
former students who died at Ypres. As you know from Civ6, Australian soldiers
are known as "diggers". An affectionate term for Belgians in a Space Station
game that my son admins for is "Waffle Diggers".
Good luck!

So. Are we just not discussing the iron clad certainty that the Russian soccer team is all doping because there's no doubt, and we assume they're not going to win the cup anyway?

So. Are we just not discussing the iron clad certainty that the Russian soccer team is all doping because there's no doubt, and we assume they're not going to win the cup anyway?

Doping wouldn't make them a certainty to win.
Doping the refs might give them a better chance.
Bribing FIFA would make them a bloody certainty.

Doping alone won't turn you or me into Lance Armstrong. Similarly, being able to run all day isn't going to turn the Russians into world-class football players. Which is why no one seriously thinks they're going to lift the Cup.

Fancy singing about Queen Elizabeth in the stands of a sport event. What muppets.

Fancy singing about Queen Elizabeth in the stands of a sport event. What muppets.
Phil is descended from the Romanovs, so it's nice of them to remind the Russians
what will happen if they mess with England!

The Juventus team was doped in the 1995-1996 Champions league finale against Ajax. They just kept going and going.
In the end it helped them to get to the penalty-shootout which Juventus won.
See this: https://www.vpro.nl/programmas/tege...edverraad-in-de-champions-league-finale~.html (Dutch, but interviews in English (IIRC))
Maradona probably had some form of vitamin supplement the
day he went through most of the English team. And every other day
of his life.

I don’t think I’ve ever been more impressed by an England performance. Pickford in particular was terrific, but it looks like our defense has really tightened up.

I’m pleased with this result, even if the team gets no further.

He speaks two words Russian !

Wait, I take that back :D
Edit: Still, what a game!
A delight all the way through.

Top Bottom