The AI Thread

This headline made my eyes pop out of my head.

Microsoft and OpenAI will build a $100 billion supercomputer named Stargate to train AI. :eek:

The GDP of Greece for a year is $219 billion.

If this thing goes online, how much electricity to power it in 2028?

Read somewhere they were planning to build nuclear power plants to feed this monster AI.

Is it me or this begins to look like some sci-fi dystopic movie? Unfortunately people don't work as batteries so discard the matrix option.

Last edited:
It's 'just' a data center that has an integrated AI to process more complex customer data more efficiently.

It's not Skynet or the Matrix, so relax boys. :)

Read somewhere they were planning to build nuclear power plants to feed this monster AI.

Is it me or this begins to look like some sci-fi dystopic movie? Unfortunately people don't work as batteries so discard the matrix option.

^You think you're so very funny, Mr Cynical human man.
But you won't fool the children of the AI revolution.

Texas will use computers to grade written answers on this year’s STAAR tests
The state will save more than $15 million by using technology similar to ChatGPT to give initial scores, reducing the number of human graders needed. The decision caught some educators by surprise.

Students sitting for their STAAR exams this week will be part of a new method of evaluating Texas schools: Their written answers on the state’s standardized tests will be graded automatically by computers.

The Texas Education Agency is rolling out an “automated scoring engine” for open-ended questions on the State of Texas Assessment of Academic Readiness for reading, writing, science and social studies. The technology, which uses natural language processing, a building block of artificial intelligence chatbots such as GPT-4, will save the state agency about $15-20 million per year that it would otherwise have spent on hiring human scorers through a third-party contractor.

The change comes after the STAAR test, which measures students’ understanding of state-mandated core curriculum, was redesigned in 2023. The test now includes fewer multiple choice questions and more open-ended questions — known as constructed response items. After the redesign, there are six to seven times more constructed response items.

“We wanted to keep as many constructed open ended responses as we can, but they take an incredible amount of time to score,” said Jose Rios, director of student assessment at the Texas Education Agency.

I always thought not maned fighter aircraft had many advantages. There is not fear, doesn't get tired, more precise, not limited by Gs, airframe can be much smaller and simpler and therefore cheaper... I think the main reason it has not been developed before (if not AI controlled aircraft as the technology was not there yet at least remotely controlled fighter drones) was reticent human pilots who would see their jobs at risk or become secondary (it is much less prestigious to be sat on a control room several thousand kilometers away from the front). Well it seems with AI time has definitely come. Next gen fighters are not gonna have any seats probably.

Last edited:
Is there any AI image generator that you would recommend me?
I can handle to create an account if it's really worth it, but I'd like it better to be free. 😀

I know of these:
Midjourney
Leonardo
Firefly (Adobe)
Canva

They usually have free tiers (the basics) with more tools and features hidden behind an account paywall.

I know of these:
Midjourney
Leonardo
Firefly (Adobe)
Canva

They usually have free tiers (the basics) with more tools and features hidden behind an account paywall.
Yeah the thing is I'd like to use it pretty intensively for a single project and then be done with it. Yet most of those require pretty expensive yearly subscription. Also it seems Midjourney is heavily linked to Discord and you may call me paranoid but I try having limited activity on social networks (I hate those "merged account" things they propose everywhere).

Is there any AI image generator that you would recommend me?
I can handle to create an account if it's really worth it, but I'd like it better to be free. 😀
Mage.space has unlimited free generations, but they sometimes restrict them for free users when they face high demand, though that hasn't happened much for me.

There is Bing AI, free to use for those with a Microsoft account. However, it's very restrictive regarding the sort of stuff you can generate with it.

Meta AI. Also restrictive. I can use it on my WhatsApp, you just type prompts into the chat, but I haven't used it on any other Meta site and I don't know how it works there.

I legit cannot figure out how to use midjourney.

Midjourney works as a bot in discord, so you need to install discord and subscribe to Midjourney channel. Then you have to pay a monthly fee. Not free generation in Midjourney anymore afaik. Generation is done asking the bot in the chat to generate an image using /imagine [prompt].

Even if closely followed by Stable Diffusion custom models, quality wise Midjourney continues being the best, at least for basic text to image work. For advanced users the only reasonable choice is Stable Diffusion through Automic1111 or ComfyUI, that way you can control everything, all kind of add-ons, models, workflows, etc, inpaint, outpaint, even video generation in several ways, anything... All locally ran, and therefore uncensored and for free, the possibilities are infinite. Only issue is you need a good graphic card and to learn a couple of things.

For image generation from text for free and without complications there is always the possibility of using Dall-E trough Bing or Copilot. Unlimited generations free of charge, with very high quality but limited to 1024x1024, jpg, and intensely censored. It will always generate 4 images to choose.

A volcano according to Bing:
OIG4.H7nY26mGoOnKpeJY.jpegOIG4 (2).jpegOIG4 (1).jpegOIG4._v2.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom