The Community Deity Game #11 - Venice

Built or captured?

Built. No one can compete with that kind of production. Once I had ballooned quickly to size 15, wonders were taking less than 10 turns.

Influential with everyone on T163
Spoiler :
Beelined Optics and Collective Rule, used one GMoV for 800 gold and the other to puppet Zurich. Enhanced religion around T40: +100 gold, Mosques, Pagodas and +30% range. NC in mid-50s, Oracle for Reformation and Compass mid-60s.

Was merrily killing CSs around me which resulted in a quadruple DoW around T110. That was quite annoying since I kept losing city connections and trade routes, but I had a bunch of Galleasses with Range at that point, so it wasn't too difficult to repel the attacks. 20ish turns later I made peace with everyone except Austria. Then I took Vienna and bribed all AIs to fight each other so they'd leave me alone for the endgame.

I bulbed a GS for Industrialization, built a factory in Venice and rush-bought two more for a T150ish Futurism. Timed my 2nd wave of GWAMs to hit shortly after. Also got a very late LToP for another GM, but I didn't use him.

That was a fun experiment. Venice SS feels really odd, and even with this much faith it wasn't enough to win by itself. Meanwhile Spain can win sub-100 with just Uluru. :crazyeye:

Spoiler :

Nice game! Hanging around this forum really reveals that a lot more stuff is possible than what I thought.

Influential with everyone on T163
Spoiler :
Beelined Optics and Collective Rule, used one GMoV for 800 gold and the other to puppet Zurich. Enhanced religion around T40: +100 gold, Mosques, Pagodas and +30% range. NC in mid-50s, Oracle for Reformation and Compass mid-60s.

Was merrily killing CSs around me which resulted in a quadruple DoW around T110. That was quite annoying since I kept losing city connections and trade routes, but I had a bunch of Galleasses with Range at that point, so it wasn't too difficult to repel the attacks. 20ish turns later I made peace with everyone except Austria. Then I took Vienna and bribed all AIs to fight each other so they'd leave me alone for the endgame.

I bulbed a GS for Industrialization, built a factory in Venice and rush-bought two more for a T150ish Futurism. Timed my 2nd wave of GWAMs to hit shortly after. Also got a very late LToP for another GM, but I didn't use him.

That was a fun experiment. Venice SS feels really odd, and even with this much faith it wasn't enough to win by itself. Meanwhile Spain can win sub-100 with just Uluru. :crazyeye:

Spoiler :

Wow. I'm really regretting turning off Cultural victory now lol. I won't be doing that in the future. That is a fantastic game.

BTW, did you ever beat that T69 Huns Lake map victory last year in IronfighterXXX's signature? I think that one deserves to be at the top of the hall of fame. This is the link http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=545231&page=3

Nice game! Hanging around this forum really reveals that a lot more stuff is possible than what I thought.

I don't think I'd boot this game up if I didn't have the forum to turn to, rolling maps and playing just to play is just not the same. This makes the game so much better, and is the only reason I can play on Deity instead of prince. Blech. Prince. Thank you forumers for turning me into a pro.

Awesome game vadalaz; did you build any other wonders?
I built Sistine pretty early. All my cities had mosques and pagodas, so it was a massive boost to culture, and since puppets don't increase policy costs, it actually allowed me to detour to Secularism. Not to mention how important it is to deny it to the AI.
BTW, did you ever beat that T69 Huns Lake map victory last year in IronfighterXXX's signature?
I never tried, because that was just such a lucky roll. The map had 6 flatland capitals I think, and everything went really well. I'd say Rams before HAs is a mistake 95% of the time (at least on Deity), I just happened to get that 5% game.

I tried for achievements, but once I'm almost done with last civ, it got too tedious and wanted to end it sooner and not bother with puppeting entire map. Also I don't think my machine can handle it and it was already starting to run slow.

Start was insane enough that I was able to do a GL start, got every wonders I bothered to build, and was able to rush frigates before starting war. Obviously tradition since I wanted to focus on my one city. Later went patronage for extra science as well as commerce, rationalism exploration the needed. Ended up Order ideology since it would give more immediate happiness.

1. Buy city states with MOV's - 1 point for every CS purchased, maximum of 5 points. 6 if done in 5 different eras. Only generated 3 MoV total since I wanted to get GS, so 3 pts

2. Puppet the whole map - 5 points (6 if you never raze a city personally) No where close, except I did not raze a single city.

3. Obtain 9 or more Great Galleas's and keep them alive until the end of the game (They can be upgraded). - 1 point for every 3 surviving Great Galleas, 3 points possible
3 pts, never lost a single frigate and I ended with more than 20.

4. Make MAD Money at some point during the game (500 gpt - 1 pt, 750 gpt 2 pts., 1000 gpt. 3 pts.
Pretty easy and I didn't even need many cities to get 1k gpt. 3 pts

5. Build Colossus and Petra in Venice for extra trade routes - 2 pts. each, or capture them while conquering and get 1 point for each.
4 pts, built both, pretty easy with insane start and actually focusing the tech for it.

Bonus Achievement. Annex a city - 1 point ?

13 pts

Spoiler :

Top Bottom