The Community Deity Game #11 - Venice

If you sell the city before it is done being razed, then you have not spoiled the achievement.

What?? Even if you don't raze down a city to 0 pop, doesn't that still constitute razing (ie BURNING DOWN INNOCENT PEOPLE)?
At least, that is how I interpreted it. It would have saved me a few headaches in my game.

What?? Even if you don't raze down a city to 0 pop, doesn't that still constitute razing (ie BURNING DOWN INNOCENT PEOPLE)?
At least, that is how I interpreted it. It would have saved me a few headaches in my game.

I didn't think of that when I created the achievements. I mean, selling them to bonfire isle may as well be considered murdering innocents as well with that logic lol. My goal was just to get someone to puppet 108 cities (and almost catch their computer on fire :c5razing::c5razing::c5razing::badcomp:) Hopefully I can break 110, but I doubt I'll even have time to finish my own map at this point...

I guess I assumed my razing was no different than selling to let someone else raze a city - in other words, any city you capture and don't puppet (and keep) violated the achievement. But I figured keeping that many puppets would bore me to tears. ;)

I bought five city states with GMoV’s in five different eras, six points. I did the usual Oxford to Radio bit, so I missed the Industrial Era and had to wait quite a while to get to Atomic Era.

I was not interesting in DOWing my CS allies, so I skipped the second achievement. Keeping with the spirit of the game though, I never razed any cities.

I overlooked the UU achievement, so I only had five Great Galleases before navigation. My six Frigates were never under threat.

Money was easy, 1500+ gpt at end, not during a Golden Age even, three points. I was sitting on two GA trying to theme Uffizi. Mostly I was running internal food cargo ships. I only ran one cargo ship to each AI, and only to CS for quests.

I built both Colossus and Petra in Venice, four points.

They must have patched the bug that let Venice annex cities.

Attachments

• civ5ss-cdg11-t288dv.jpg
    civ5ss-cdg11-t288dv.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 149
CRAP I forgot to put in the OP that I disabled Culture Victory in settings. I didn't want it to accidentally trigger when players were trying to puppet the entire map. Can you imagine trying to puppet the whole map with it turned on? I'm sorry about that, I should have put that in bold at the top. It shouldn't be too hard to island hop to victory at this point though, but I don't think anyone is going to get a pre-200 culture victory on this map...

I'm scared to think of what Spain could do on this map, I wonder if you can replace Venice with Spain in IGE? Maybe I'll just make a brand new cheesy Spain map as a bonus instead, I can think of some silly things to do with them...

I can confirm sub-200 culture is doable on this map with these civs (and with CV disabled, though I'm not sure how that changes gameplay, they still built Sistine and Louvre). Question is how far under is doable; you have to rethink strategy and adjust for a different endpoint than 'normal' CV (Internet or Airports). I got 197 and think I can go under 190. I realize I'm deviating from the posted VC/achievements, but am enjoying the challenge and want to say thanks for posting this map, really enjoying it.

I can confirm sub-200 culture is doable on this map with these civs (and with CV disabled, though I'm not sure how that changes gameplay, they still built Sistine and Louvre). Question is how far under is doable; you have to rethink strategy and adjust for a different endpoint than 'normal' CV (Internet or Airports). I got 197 and think I can go under 190. I realize I'm deviating from the posted VC/achievements, but am enjoying the challenge and want to say thanks for posting this map, really enjoying it.
Are you going for peaceful CV? With conquest you could probably take Sacred Sites here and faith-buy in puppets, the starting location provides a ton of faith and happiness. Some sort of Galleass push into SS (into Futurism if that's not enough) maybe? I think I want to try that.

There might be some issue with spreading the religion. At least my game had a serious missionary-spam from the north. However, she´s available with Galleas - so that might be the solution.

vadalaz, I did 2-city peaceful prioritizing Futurism (no GWAM until I had it) and the 5 culture from Natural Wonders as 1st motion at World Congress; only at the end did I add Cult of Personality, should have gotten it earlier.
There's an awful lot to build, and policies to get, in a short period of time. I skipped Sistine and lost Louvre (tried to time it to finish just after popping an artist). I think I'll ignore Louvre next time and use that policy elsewhere, probably completing Rationalism to get Hotels if possible. I used LToP on GS but would consider using it on a GE for Eiffel Tower.

SS should be doable even without Futurism here I think. I'm not going to finish my current run because it's messy and there's so much room for improvement. The annoying thing is that you can't stagnate the stupid puppets and they don't build happiness buildings unless you're actually unhappy.

Definitely need to go Mosques + Pagodas here, I took Monasteries for the cheap price but extra happiness is more important. I also went Aesthetics with the intent to just end the game with a couple of quick faith-bought GMs in Industrial, but I think full Liberty is better. The happiness is great and the finisher can be used for a GM anyway.

With CV being disabled, do you just go into the screen every so often to see if you have reached influential with all the AI? It just does not feel right without the pop-up victory screen!

You're welcome, cultural victory is something I struggle with completely. I enjoyed starting your brazil map, and its near the top of my backlog of games to go back and play that have passed us by. I think I'll make my Alex map cultural (not going to go crazy with IGE on that one, but I really want to recreate some history and mythology and IGE will have to be used to help with that.) We need more of those, domination has taken over this series and we need more science and cultural victories. The ghandi map will be science, so alex can be cultural.

T120ish About to get an insanely early Navigation

BUT... the game keeps crashing. Anyone else having problems with the savefile? Otherwise, it might be my computer. I checked the files on Steam and they were OK, but seriously I can't play for 10 mins without CTD.

With CV being disabled, do you just go into the screen every so often to see if you have reached influential with all the AI? It just does not feel right without the pop-up victory screen!

Yes and I agree.
When you use GMusicians, your status with that civ pops up immediately above where you had the concert tour, so it's easy enough to know when you've reach influential with the final civ.

T120ish About to get an insanely early Navigation

BUT... the game keeps crashing. Anyone else having problems with the savefile? Otherwise, it might be my computer. I checked the files on Steam and they were OK, but seriously I can't play for 10 mins without CTD.

Spoiler :
I think its because I put a larger than usual amount of city states in the game. Budweiser ran into the same problem. I maxed it out at 41, so between that, the multiple copies of NW's, and some serious city-spamming, I think the attacks on your computer's CPU will only get worse as the game continues. Plus I built the map on a Windows 10 custom PC, and you are on a Mac, so that might also cause trouble.

Spoiler :
I think its because I put a larger than usual amount of city states in the game. Budweiser ran into the same problem. I maxed it out at 41, so between that, the multiple copies of NW's, and some serious city-spamming, I think the attacks on your computer's CPU will only get worse as the game continues. Plus I built the map on a Windows 10 custom PC, and you are on a Mac, so that might also cause trouble.

I played it on a Mac with no problems, and this Mac has been crashing just browsing news lately (it's the stupid video ads.....they drive me nuts and I can't disable them).

I played it on a Mac with no problems, and this Mac has been crashing just browsing news lately (it's the stupid video ads.....they drive me nuts and I can't disable them).

Well crap. I don't know what's causing it. It must just be a processor problem. AS for your ads, adguard extension is the best I've seen yet at killing those without being weird. Its a little green shield that does the job well. If I'm not allowed to post stuff like that, I'll stop.

T181 Victory

Spoiler :
Alex, Khan, Dido, Kame, Khan (Attila's Court), Maria, Oda, all in around fifty turns. Fun map. No more sea maps for a while I hope or I'll start seeing submarines in my sleep!

Full Piety, Full Commerce (for faith GMs), spares in Trad, Exploration

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 03.53.34.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 03.53.34.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 162
Achievements breakdown, if it's not a hassle ;)

Ok, sure...

1. Buy city states with MOV's - 1 point for every CS purchased

2 purchased. One for broken cargo ship food. One later so I could spam more Frigates.

3. Obtain 9 or more Great Galleas's and keep them alive until the end of the game (They can be upgraded). - 1 point for every 3 surviving Great Galleas, 3 points possible

Well I started assaulting
Spoiler :
Alex
with 12 upgraded GG, so I guess that's 4 points.

4. Make MAD Money at some point during the game (500 gpt - 1 pt, 750 gpt 2 pts., 1000 gpt. 3 pts.

I topped 750GPT before I paid Dido a shedload to swan my way through her seas to get Maria and Oda, but I won too quickly to take it much higher.

5. Build Colossus and Petra in Venice for extra trade routes - 2 pts. each, or capture them while conquering and get 1 point for each.

Got both.

Bonus Achievement. Annex a city - 1 point

How is this possible?

BTW, these scores are just for reference, remember. Please don't put them on the table.

Top Bottom