The Community Deity Game #2 - Assyria

stormtrooper412

Peacemongering Turtlesaur
Welcome to the CDG, I am the caretaker and I suppose interim host until further notice. There are some big mighty shoes to fill. Let's dub this one the

CDG 2 - Assyria a.k.a. How Good Is Your Swiping

get it, because he carries a Tablet with him .. you know, swiping, yeah I'll get my coat...

Settings

Spoiler :

Standard speed. Standard size. Everything is default by the looks of it. Designated victory condition is Science

Map type and difficulty
Spoiler :

Pangaea, Medium difficulty

Starting Location
Spoiler :

Your achievements, as already posted previously:

Spoiler :

A - Win a Science Victory before T230 - 5
B - Help a friendly AI conquer 3 capitals - 4
C - Restore a civ to life - 3
D - Never build a military unit - 4
E - Pass Sciences Funding in the WC - 3

Good luck everyone!

Notes:

1. I haven't played a single turn of this map so my knowledge of it is absolutely the same as everyone else. I regret that but I was a bit busy.

2. Since the achievements seem to be going against each other, there will obviously be a special incentive to get them all. I'm absolutely sure I won't be able to.

3. I'd encourage players to give as much detail of their games as they'd like. The previous map was a smashing hit (he he he, get it) in my opinion because of it, and it kind of got the series off to a flying start.

Attachments

• asystart.jpg
    asystart.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 1,613
  • CDG Assyria.Civ5Save
    814 KB · Views: 200
Oops! Typo in the thread title. Sorry -- that's about all I'm able to contribute. Not much of a player, but I mark English exams for Cambridge Assessment. :)

Consentient gave those points in the previous thread.
A - Win a Science Victory before T230 - 5 pts
B - Help a friendly AI conquer 3 capitals - 4 pts
C - Restore a civ to life - 3 pts
D - Never train a military unit - 4 pts
E - Pass Sciences Funding in the WC - 3 pts

So that's 19 points, true to your prediction.

D- Can you purchase military units?

I'm thinking a scout is a military unit?

I played 131 turns with just my lonely starting warrior.

Spoiler :

I think only CS gifts count :) Scouts are alright, natch

also, thanks for pointing out the typos, I'm not a native English speaker so I usually spellcheck thoroughly :)

In the previous CDG, Consentient used "trained" for both building and buying units
D. Win a DomV without ever having built trained (including bought) a ranged unit. - 5 pts.
But he also specified that buying was forbidden so not sure. Your call anyway as you are the current host. Can't imagine playing without scouts.
For B : how do you help them? Do you have to take cities, or merely have troops assist them in the fights?
I will try to finish this one. For the previous game, DomV wasn't the best VC for me to get back after several months.

Starting position doesn't look that great. Nice coastal spot but no freshwater and no mountain hurts for fast VC :undecide:

For (B) what exactly constitutes a "friendly" AI? And what does "help" mean, exactly?

I assume gifting a capital doesn't count, right?

I'll probably just choose a subset of these since herding cats is frustrating :)

I am planning way too ahead I am sure, but I am going to settle next to the desert hill to unlock Solar Plant. Glad to see we are on grassland, not plains (for stoneworks).

From last game, scouts are okay, scarchers too.
CS gifts okay to keep.
No buying. My only question would be the Freedom Foreign Legions. Are they allowed?

Spoiler :
Cat herding indeed. I'm at 196 and I almost have labs unlocked. But, I'm facing some ideological pressure and my science is stuck around 450 with just 4 cities. I should have made more.

My lack of scouting pretty much means all the CS will be solid allies with the AI. Frustrating.

Since last time I missed the achievement part before starting to play I made sure that that won't happen again and the result is: I've been thinking about starting half a day now can't overcome the issue of achi D; whichever way I look at it it just seems moronic.
Not only it effectively prevents using a UU but a core aspect of the game and it seems that the game will be at mercy of RNG even if scouts are allowed. Scouts can protect the lands only up to Spearmen and after that a unit from an unlucky nearby camp will pillage a tile per turn until it gets bored without any counter measures.

I need more time to think how this one should be played but for the future may I make few suggestions:

- no achis that prevent from using UU/UA/UB
- no contradictory achis as in all should be achievable within reason in a single game
- no achis that effectively remove a core aspect of the game. I realise this is a vague concept so it's still up to the host

G - I think you are good enough to win on this map without making any units including scouts.

G - I think you are good enough to win on this map without making any units including scouts.

I'm probably definitely going to win, but I did make 3 scouts in the 130s.

Ugh, I meant to edit not double post.

Thx, but I don't share your confidence and even if that were true it still leaves much too much for the RNG - friendly neighbours and one is fine but being without units is just making oneself so vulnerable that even the gloriously incompetent AI can take a city with ease in a turn or two. Also my problem with this is that I'm not sure whether it'd be playing Civ anymore as much as I like all sorts of pointless supportive rules.

I don't think doing all 5 achievements is even possible at all, but leaving out D is certainly doable. Maybe if you get 10 bonus points for doing all, I would think more about it.

Spoiler :

My two Scarchers and two cs gifts were lucky enough to keep me in the hunt I suppose :)

I really think turtling is the wrong way to play Assyria. A better option would be to forward settle Theo and Darius, steal their tech and be back on track. I don't know if that would speed up the science progress.

If I get under 230, that would be A and D for me, at this point I have no idea how to deal with others.

Turn 70 finish Tradition
Turn 78 3 city NC

Attachments

• asur.jpg
    asur.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 351
Pretty sure it was
Spoiler :

It was tweaked both ways, I really like it. There's the skilldorado, Krakatoa up north and Babylon have their early Academy :)

Top Bottom