The Crimlings - WTWSMS CK2 Succession Game

Alaric 1st, known as the Victorious

Spoiler :

Of all the tribes of the Goths, Those that inhabited Crimea might have passed into obscurity, unremembered while their Visigothic and Ostrogothic cousins became synonymous of the end of the classical world, were it not for the ambitions of one man. Then High-Chief Alaric, known as the Victorious, saw an opportunity, and as he took it, the entire edifice of history came crumbling down.

Spoiler :

The first half of Alaric’s life can be marked for lack of ambition, though of course, most of the records from that time are Roman, and likely to be incomplete. It had been a generation since the Joug of the Hunnic Confederation had been thrown off of Gothic Shoulders, and Alaric had been content to rule his tribe from within his high stone walls. The writings of roman emissaries to bolghar courts speak of the Goths as raiders and traders, occasionally harrying their enemies, but never riding far from their homelands.

In 580 AD, however, something changed. The historical context for this change is unknown, but likely resulted from pressures within the King’s court. Alaric was rapidly aging, and, with nothing to show for it, and no sons to pass on his legacy, it is likely that Alaric began to fear his court. A new Aramean wife also likely pushed Alaric from his complacency in the comfort of his citadel in Kerson.

Spoiler :

And so, King Alaric marched on campaign, seeking to subjugate the southern Bolghar tribes. Their neighbors called them “Utigur,” but King Alaric called them slaves, and slaves they became. Evidence indicates that Alaric saw them as the first of many conquests to bring the lands of the Alans underneath his yoke. Accepting the surrender of their Chief, Utigur the Utigur, he gave the lands he had conquered to many of his mead-hall companions.

Spoiler :

All indications show that Alaric next turned to the Kutigurs, the middle Bolghars, but before the ritual blood arrow was sent to their chief under the auspices of the Grey Wanderer and the Thunderer, news reached King Alaric that the lands of the Romans were aflame. The Tribe of the, Longobardi, Longbeards had fled south before the trickster’s hounds, and were laying siege to Macedonia, hoping to make a new homeland.

Spoiler :

To the Goths, and the Lombards, it must have seemed like the Gods of the Roman had turned against them. Roman Army after Roman army fell before the Lombard advance. Alaric saw his chance and set out messengers to all corners of his realm, promising land, gold, and glory for any who fought under the banner of the rearing stag. Thousands of men gathered, brave Saxon warriors, and Angle Exiles, Slavic and Magyar, even Bolghar. Even as the Lombards were given what they wanted, and the defeated Romans hoped for a long peace, the Armies of Alaric struck, both from the east and the west. First to fall, the records say, was the Roman City of Trapezus, the capital of the Roman Principality of Pontus.

News of the fall of Trapezus swept through Rome like a sparks in a field. Rebellion after Rebellion erupted, as the people of Rome lost faith in the ability of their Child Empress to protect them. It was, in essence, these rebellions that allowed the Goths to make their Gains so quickly. All along the shores of the Black Sea, Roman cities and forts fell, the men killed and the women taken for concubines.

Spoiler :

That is not to say that the Romans didn’t give the goths as much pain as they got. Roman armies clashed with those of Alaric and Rebel armies repeatedly over the course of the next decade, making large gains, but, ultimately, the Romans grew exhausted. The Goths, on the other hand, received a steady stream of reinforcements, as adventurers heard of the glory to be won. (OOC: for some reason, The Adventurers to join your campaign event kept firing)

Spoiler :

It is telling, however, that of all the cities of Rome, Alaric never once besieged the Theodosian Walls, deeming them still too mighty for the Goths to take. Gothic records speak of the Envy Alaric held for the great city, and his dream to one day make it his, but also make clear that not once did Alaric’s army lay siege. In fact, it is unknown if Alaric ever saw the city during his campaign.

Spoiler :

Alaric’s campaign lasted thirteen years, but by the end, most of Rome’s Black Sea coastline was held by Alaric’s armies. Alaric distributed the land between his many sons and his most trusted lieutenants, and to ensure that his land would know good fortune, held a great festival to the Gods.

Spoiler :

Records speak of many sacrifices, and though records in other courts speak of a faux pas by Alaric, contemporary Gothic records speak little of it.

Alaric, now ruler of a great kingdom, sat content on his laurels. His many sons ruled the lands he had conquered, and they, now sought to emulate their father in his conquests. The tribes of the Bolghars one by one were put to the sword, and added to the Demesne of the Goths.

Alaric’s rule in time of peace was considered one of wisdom and prosperity by his subjects, Bolgar, Greek, Thracian, Lombard, and Goth alike. A pious man, Alaric patronized the priests and wisemen, heading to their omens, and attributing to the favor of the gods the wealth and peace within his lands.

Spoiler :

The first born son of Alaric, Silver Tongued Alhreiks, so named for his destiny as King of Kings, appears in Sassanid records around this time, as the leader of an adventurer party seeking to carve his own kingdom from the Sassanid lands. Successful, without the help of his Father, he carved a domain of his own, though his rule of it was shortlived, and by the time of his father’s death, records speak of him as back in the Crimean Court.

Spoiler :

Alaric died at age 78, leaving to his sons a kingdom that will echo through the centuries. He was buried in a great barrow on the outskirts of Kerson, the first of many kingly tombs.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Succession Game.zip
    3 MB · Views: 68
I believe I'm up now? Do we have any order?

Subbing

Subbing. You can put me down, im downloading the mod now.

EDIT: Oh god, the eastern roman bulwark against the middle east is gone. Worse, now that we rule a kingdom, there is no reason to actually migrate.

I think I was supposed to go next but my computer got infected with adware because AVG is a piece of horsehockye, so skip me for now while I flail my arms wildly in attempting to clean this up.

Top Bottom