The Death of Online Poker Gambling In The US?

I think websites would be harder. A slot machine is something you play in person and can be physically inspected.

Todays modern slots are all software and computer driven.

Yeah, but gambling is a victimless crime.

Well, its not even a 'crime' per se to be honest, but victimless? Again, I dont believe in 'victimless' anything largely because I believe peoples actions affect other people - and criminal acts do so with negative consequences.

But I know....we'll disagree on that. Even without the use of any hypotheticals. ;)

Couple of my mates work in this industry. When the US first pulled out of internet gambling they were rocked. Now they are both, literally, buying bigger houses.

It became evident a couple of years ago that it was irrelevant what the us gov wanted. They have excluded their own biz from the market and now threaten to imprison their own citizens for being peons of untouchable companies.

Perhaps it's a moral stand, perhaps it's a hissy-fit at failing so bad at a sector, but really it just doesnt matter what the us gov says or does. The industry is global. The industry will go on just the same. The us citizens will continue to want to play on the big stage, and thats mainly registered in gib and the caymans.

My boys are complaining about the flights out to india fwiw.

Anything which is addictive isn't victimless.

Then let's ban alcohol, tobacco, junk food, the Internet, credit cards, sex, cell phones, television, any and all household chemicals that can produce intoxicating fumes, etc. since all those things can be addictive.

Then let's ban alcohol, tobacco, junk food, the Internet, credit cards, sex, cell phones, television, any and all household chemicals that can produce intoxicating fumes, etc. since all those things can be addictive.

Annnndd...I think you missed his point totally.

Picard disagrees with the US :mad: (yeah well they don't play with money, but only because the Federation gave up on it)

Seriously though - poker isn't like any other gamble game. It is full of strategy and if you know what you are doing you will win and not loose at the end. Because most people play a little for fun and don't know how to play successfully. Especially on online poker.

Because of this I don't think that poker applies to the typical pattern of gambling and why it ruins people and I view the ban of it as the result of the strong Christian heritage in America rather than people having reasonable moral concerns.

Annnndd...I think you missed his point totally.

Actually raises a discussion worth having. Coffee* is addictive. Who's victimized by coffee*? Does that mean coffee* should be illegal?

Substitute addictive thing of your choice for coffee*. Capacity for addiction can't be the only criteria we use to ban things, nor the damage caused by those addictions. We need to consider the relative frequency of addiction, the severity of addiction compared to "normal" use, et cetera et cetera.

Actually raises a discussion worth having. Coffee* is addictive. Who's victimized by coffee*? Does that mean coffee* should be illegal?

Substitute addictive thing of your choice for coffee*. Capacity for addiction can't be the only criteria we use to ban things, nor the damage caused by those addictions. We need to consider the relative frequency of addiction, the severity of addiction compared to "normal" use, et cetera et cetera.
LUCY UR IRRELEVANT ANALOGY SUX STOP DISTRACTING FROM THE REAL DISCUSSION :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm a little undecided on this issue, but I'm leaning towards the reasoning that people are going to play anyways, so it may as well be U.S. companies that make the profits from it, and not foreign companies. We need the commerce. But yes, it should be taxed in some way.

LUCY UR IRRELEVANT ANALOGY SUX STOP DISTRACTING FROM THE REAL DISCUSSION :mad: :mad: :mad:

Right. Sorry.

SOME PEOPLE GET ADDICTED SO IT'S GOOD THAT ONLINE POKER GAMBLING IN THE US IS GONNA D :run: :run: :run:

Better?

Poor South American peasant wage serfs forced to pick coffee beans in what is tantamount to slavery?

Maybe?

But coffee addiction can lead to health problems such as migranes, which can also affect the people that live with or work with the addict in question.

But no one alleged that the level of victimhood was in any way even across the board did they?

The question of coffee being illegal isnt worth addressing.

Dont confuse the exception of simple error with general ability to get one. Unless some kind of mistake occurs, minors cant get credit cards.

I wasn't using an exception as an example - in my personal experience, and in those of my peers, when I was a minor, obtaining a credit card while underage was fairly simple and straightforward.

I wasn't using an exception as an example - in my personal experience, and in those of my peers, when I was a minor, obtaining a credit card while underage was fairly simple and straightforward.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. At least thats what I get told when I use it. :p

By 'obtaining' do you mean by theft? Or could you clarify the definition of 'obtaining' you are using here?

Top Bottom