The Emperor Masters' Challenge

[continued from the previous page]

Our first batch of missionaries arrived at the other continent to begin wreaking havoc. Heh :p

After a few waves of Christian and Buddhist missionaries to each of the two potential allies, what we had hoped to achieve came true:

Freddy was already on Free Religion too. Guys, looks like we have hope :)

Meanwhile, we kept growing, earning more and more money per turn and researching very quickly. Here's the tech screen a while before Freddy and FDR dropped their religion:

Radio would be a good tech to research next, and on the way to Mass Media too. We weren't disappointed. Like the previous two occassions, we were able to finish researching the tech and trade it to Freddy and Cyrus. The tech screen after that:

I stopped shortly after. We've researched Mass Media. Cathy had it before us, but it wouldn't make much of a difference to our plans if she beat us to building the UN. Still, I'd want to try to rush buy the UN (which I am building at Timbuktu) to ensure that we get as early a victory as possible.

I think now it all depends on how many votes Freddy, FDR (they're both friendlier to me than to Cathy) and I can muster against Cathy and Cyrus in the global elections. This is a map of the other continent:

Frankly, I can't tell from the picture. The victory screen doesn't help much either:

No way we can accurately guess how many percent of the world population Freddy and FDR have each. We need roughly 63% in total to have enough votes to win.

Well, anyway, the GNP graph as usual:

We are clearly winning now. Who said cottaging up wouldn't work? ;)

Demographics:

We are the richest and fastest growing country in the world. Is victory within grasp?

voek said:
Good round, but pfff gona be close... Hope you can build the UN and actualy vote ones, before Cathy launches...

I think we would be able to vote way before anyone is close to launching, even though they are obviously very far ahead of us. It's a matter of whether have enough to win the vote or not.

How much growth potential do you have in your cities? I'm wondering because you might actually want to build farms instead of cottages. Are you planning on an alternative to the UN election? If you go for UN only, not sure getting a few more techs is going to be of any use. Other than that, just play on! :)

carl corey said:
How much growth potential do you have in your cities? I'm wondering because you might actually want to build farms instead of cottages. Are you planning on an alternative to the UN election? If you go for UN only, not sure getting a few more techs is going to be of any use. Other than that, just play on! :)

Actually, I am thinking of buying the UN before continuing research.

One step at a time, my friend ;)

Oh yeah, just saw the research slider at 0%. :D Good point. What do you plan on researching once you buy the UN, and why? You might want to go 100% culture, I think I saw you posting about flipping one of Cathy's cities? Even if you don't, it might help put a cap on its growth if you manage to surround it with your borders.

Well a rough calculation: You have 37.875.000 pop and the rival average is 18.000.500 with 4 rivals. So the world pop. will be around 110.000.000.

So you and your friends need (for 63%) 69.300.000 pop (-37.875.000= 31.425.000). FDR and Freddy need together 31.425.000 pop. If they are at rival average, you good to go!

But who do they like more? You or Cathy? I say Cathy, since it seems she had the second highest pop. Cyrus is big also, how is your relation with him?

I'll probably research things that some of the AI haven't researched yet for trading purposes. If our UN gambit will succeed, I don't think there are many more turns left to the game :)

voek said:
But who do they like more? You or Cathy? I say Cathy, since it seems she had the second highest pop. Cyrus is big also, how is your relation with him?

Can't be her because she isn't running US and they are no longer Hindu, and we have already maximised all positive modifiers with Freddy and FDR except for religion and mutual struggle. Cyrus is only cautious with me. I don't think I can ever get him to vote for me anyway.

I'm not sure if I have time to play and post tomorrow. If I find time, I'll most probably play and only post the results on the next day for some suspense :p

aelf said:
No way we can accurately guess how many percent of the world population Freddy and FDR have each. We need roughly 63% in total to have enough votes to win.

of course there is a way (and it's not looking good!)!
you need a total of 63%;
you have 35%,
cathy has 22%,
so FdR and Freddy have maximum 20% each.
that would give you 75%, and give cyrus only 3%. (100% - 75%-22%). Clearly untrue. Cyrus is bigger than Freddy (from the map).
Let's say Cyrus = FdR=Freddy (which seems wrong to me, for me it's FdR>Cyrus>Freddy), then they are at 14% each, making FdR + Freddy 28%.
28+35% = 63% :eek:

Knowing i did a lot of assumtions here, i fear you lack 1 or 2%.
Time to grow?

edit : i counted pop points from the map (looks a bit old, but i had nothing better), and it's really gonna be tight, but may end up well

cabert said:
of course there is a way (and it's not looking good!)!
you need a total of 63%;
you have 35%,
cathy has 22%,
so FdR and Freddy have maximum 20% each.
that would give you 75%, and give cyrus only 3%. (100% - 75%-22%). Clearly untrue. Cyrus is bigger than FdR (from the map).
Let's say Cyrus = FdR=Freddy (which seems wrong to me, for me it's Freddy>Cyrus>FdR), then they are at 14% each, making FdR + Freddy 28%.
28+35% = 63% :eek:

Knowing i did a lot of assumtions here, i fear you lack 1 or 2%.
Time to grow?

Lack of 1 or 2% is possible, but you should take a closer look at the map. Freddy is clearly the smallest. Cyrus seems to have bigger land, but his cities are smaller than FDR's. So I think it's FDR>Cyrus>Freddy.

I am inclined to agree with Voek's calculations. I'm optimistic :)

aelf said:
Lack of 1 or 2% is possible, but you should take a closer look at the map. Freddy is clearly the smallest. Cyrus seems to have bigger land, but his cities are smaller than FDR's. So I think it's FDR>Cyrus>Freddy.

I am inclined to agree with Voek's calculations. I'm optimistic :)

i edited :crazyeye:
i confused FdR and Freddy:lol:

(and by the way, i counted pop points, and that's not exactly population)

Aelf, I think you should rush towards Biology. If they get it before you do, their pop. will grow, while yours will stagnate, causing you to lose the elections.

William III

I think you should consider your military position;5th and trailing badly. Obvious point, never rely on the AIs' benevolence. Build some ?upgrade some. Otherwise spectacular economic rise. At this rate you could win the space race.

If you are done with tech research, then it might be time to bulldoze those cottages to replace with farms for a last big pop rush, since you need bodies more than beakers now. And you'll get more from building new cities than old ones since the newer cities will have a slightly faster growth rate than your existing, larger ones.

pigswill said:
I think you should consider your military position;5th and trailing badly. Obvious point, never rely on the AIs' benevolence. Build some ?upgrade some. Otherwise spectacular economic rise. At this rate you could win the space race.

No, believe me he can't, although he is nr 1 in GNP. I think everybody (expcept Freddy?) are building the Spaceship and we don't have Apollo yet.

Military is bad, but not a big problem in a happy world where everybody is occupied building the Spaceship. The easiest way to defend yourself for invasion is build tons of arty. Whoever lands on our continent will be bombed to the stoneage. Besides. it doesnt matter if power is nr5, since Aelf has 3 defence pacts.

Dont worry about a few % of pop. You will grow more then the others, since you have city's who haven't reached their max AND you have way more city's. The only important factor is that FDR and Freddy will vote for you, then you will win, mark my words.

BTW I think this is the pop. rank: Aelf>Cathy>FDR>Cyrus>Freddy.

voek said:
BTW I think this is the pop. rank: Aelf>Cathy>FDR>Cyrus>Freddy.

agreed, i mismatched FdR and Freddy
I did count pop points (though it's not leading to reliable results) and it was
145 for FdR
108 for Cyrus
86 for Freddy.
I think cyrus' cities may grow a bit more.
2 of FdR's city are at 19, on at 18 and one at 17, while cyrus has 2 at 17, one at 16, the rest is 15 or below.

Round 14: 1772AD - 1806AD

We accumulated gold to rush the UN straightaway as I realised that FDR had Mass Media too and might build it before us, which would cause our plans to go horribly awry. In several turns, we were ready.

Here goes nothing. If FDR and Freddy's votes combined with ours are enough to win, this game is in the bag. They won't vote for Cathy, not after we've switched to US, given them free resources and good trades and signed defensive pacts with them.

Speaking of defensive pacts, indeed, the three-way pacts made me feel secure enough not to bother with anymore units. Anyway, if we had enough votes already there's no need to talk about the future, right? Risky assumption, I know, but no matter what there were the defensive pacts.

Even Cyrus, who was least friendly of them all, seemed to be willing to trade on very equal terms:

Then it's time for the votes...

Of course we were elected Secretary General. I'd be surprised if we weren't :mischief: But can we win?

[to be continued in the next post]

Top Bottom