The Falkland Islands

Perhaps if Argentina hadn't tried to take the islands by force, against the will of the inhabitants.

Such things are not easily forgiven, let alone forgotten.

It's kinda hard to say that with any certainty. For example, old people these days may still have prejudices from the time of WWII, but most young people who are not subject to extensive propaganda don't seem to have them.

Both the Romance name of the islands and the English one are derived, ultimately, from Celtic. Therefore, the islands truly belong to Ireland, the only independent Celtic state! :)

Pangur Bán;11199297 said:
Both the Romance name of the islands and the English one are derived, ultimately, from Celtic. Therefore, the islands truly belong to Ireland, the only independent Celtic state! :)

But seeing as celts originate from Anatolia, and all humans originate from somewhere in Africa, it should obviously be given to Kenya.

It's kinda hard to say that with any certainty. For example, old people these days may still have prejudices from the time of WWII, but most young people who are not subject to extensive propaganda don't seem to have them.

Apparently, there are a fair few Argentinians who are still upset about the British taking the Falklands in 1831.

More importantly, so long as Argentina keeps claiming the islands - and especially if it continues to act in the childish manner we see recently - there's little chance of the islanders ever forgiving and forgetting to the extent that they are prepared to submit to Argentine rule.

It's unnecessary. All it will do is antagonize the other side and raise tensions.

That's the last thing we want, really.
Wrong. The last thing you want is for the British citizens on the island to be left twisting in the wind. They deserve to know their government will never, ever abandon them. That means never humoring in any way such talk by a foreign power against your citizens and territory.

Wrong. The last thing you want is for the British citizens on the island to be left twisting in the wind. They deserve to know their government will never, ever abandon them. That means never humoring in any way such talk by a foreign power against your citizens and territory.

Not abandoning them is one thing, sending an American aircraft carrier to the region is another.

Apparently, there are a fair few Argentinians who are still upset about the British taking the Falklands in 1831.

Hence my mentioning...

most young people who are not subject to extensive propaganda don't seem to have them.

Winston Hughes said:
More importantly, so long as Argentina keeps claiming the islands - and especially if it continues to act in the childish manner we see recently - there's little chance of the islanders ever forgiving and forgetting to the extent that they are prepared to submit to Argentine rule.

That's why I said they should bide their time.

Are you implying that Argentinians are not of European origin or am I misunderstanding something?

Well, my two comments were related but distinct. The point is, I think the current status should trump what was briefly the case a couple hundred years ago.

Not abandoning them is one thing, sending an American aircraft carrier to the region is another.

You got to be able to back up your claims with force.

Do you know what a deterrent is?

It seems to me that allowing the Brits to control Las Islas Malvinas is in contradiction to the Monroe Doctrine.

So what is the matter at hand? I'm actually not sure, beyond the notion that this thread is about Argentina's claim on the Falkland Islands.

It seems to me that allowing the Brits to control Las Islas Malvinas is in contradiction to the Monroe Doctrine.

The Monroe Doctrine was more to prevent further colonisation of the Western Hemisphere or interference with nations in the Americas, the Falklands as a British territory pre-dates the MD. Besides US SoS Livingston declined to invoke the Monroe Doctrine when the United Kingdom resumed its presence in the Falkland Islands in 1833, so I don't see that as being a factor.

You can easily make the argument that the British claims predate the Monroe Doctrine and hence it never applied (it was about stopping Europeans from interfering with the independent countries). Just like the British retained authority over modern Canada.

Top Bottom