The Falkland Islands

I don't know if anybody else saw it, but a few days ago a British mp proposed a bill to parliament to "remind the Argentines that they lost the Falkland's war." On one hand I found this incredibly funny and one of the best political trolls of the year so far. But on the other hand the Argentines do need to remember that this debate has been answered and not in their favour. The Argentine government uses the islands as a Mcguffin that they bring up when ever their country has economic or political problems. The U.S. need to stop this "staying neutral on the subject" nonsense. We need to support our British allies and not an Argentina that tries to marginalize our economic standing in South America at everyone turn.

It is just a way to score cheap political points with South America knowing that Argentina isn't going to do anything and even if they tried the British could easily handle it on their own.

Not that I agree with the position, but I can see a reasoning behind it.

Protests in Argentina as Prince William begins Falklands deployment

Argentinian protesters have marched on the British embassy in Buenos Aires, burning the Union flag, in protest at the Duke of Cambridge's six-week deployment to the Falklands Islands.

Demonstrators burn a British flag outside the British embassy in Buenos Aires Photo:

A branch of the British owned HSBC bank was also attacked late on Thursday by a mob of 100 men armed with clubs, spray-painting it with "English out of Malvinas" – the Argentinian name for the disputed islands.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ince-William-begins-Falklands-deployment.html

Argentinian protesters have marched on the British embassy in Buenos Aires, burning the Union flag, in protest at the Duke of Cambridge's six-week deployment to the Falklands Islands.

Spoiler :

Demonstrators burn a British flag outside the British embassy in Buenos Aires Photo:

A branch of the British owned HSBC bank was also attacked late on Thursday by a mob of 100 men armed with clubs, spray-painting it with "English out of Malvinas" – the Argentinian name for the disputed islands.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ince-William-begins-Falklands-deployment.html

That's some damn fine diplomacy

Anyone else think flag burning, especially red, white and blue ones, or just white and blue ones, is a bit cliche at this point? Doesn't it lose its meaning after the 10^100000 time it has been done?

Does Argentina ever try to talk to the Government of the Falklands about this? While Britain maintains a large military edge over Argentina it seems the most prudent course of action for them to take.
I get the impression Argentina doesnt really give two craps what the Falklands think.

I see the natives are getting restless again.

Many people in the UK have been swept up by post-1982 propaganda and have somehow forgotten that the UK wanted to lease the Islands back to Argentina prior to giving them back for good without ever consulting the inhabitants, now it appears they've always been part of the British Archipelago since before William the Conqueror. Crazy, eh? Now people on both sides are over-hyped over a piece of rock stuffed with penguins and landmines and sheep.

This is the key bit, I think. The "self determination" thing is a bit laughable for the British to use given the way they run roughshod over the will of those colonies when it suits them. It's a figleaf, the real answer is they want it because it's useful, just like Argentina want them to not have it because it's useful.

One day the UK will pull most/all of the military out of Gibraltar to save money and because NATO means it's not really needed. That'll leave Gibraltar barely viable, regardless of what they might wish. And meanwhile, did Hong Kong get a say in its fate?

Arwon -- I think you will find that self determination became an issue after Argentina invaded the Falklands. China never invaded British territory, Argentina did. Diplomacy might be tricky and not always democratic, but it beats war every time.

Can the British grow some balls and nuke Buenos Aires if they invade again?

I didn't realise that balls and brains were as incompatible as all that.

Anyone else think flag burning, especially red, white and blue ones, or just white and blue ones, is a bit cliche at this point? Doesn't it lose its meaning after the 10^100000 time it has been done?

We don' t get too upset about having the flag burnt in the UK. Im sure if a British company got a big order to supply Union Jacks to Argentina not many people would object.

So let's say a guy is standing in front of my house screaming that it's really his house and property and he wants me to sign it over to him. As far as I am concerned, that's an aggressive act, not a diplomatic one.

Simplistic analogies for the loss.

The american position is disgusting...
Hopefully a different President will change that.
What about the EU's position? They're not taking the flak for the UK either.
If they were hell-bent on diplomacy, they wouldn't be trying to usurp the rightful sovereignty of the United Kingdom over the Falkland Islands. Being hell-bent on diplomacy would be something like a statement/resolution/whatever forever swearing off any claim on the Falklands and acknowledging the rightful sovereignty of the United Kingdom over the islands.
Why don't you read what your own government has to say as well as find out what diplomacy means?

<snipped image>

Quebracho are a bunch of ultra-nationalist pseudomessianic nutjobs like the BNP, only even smaller. The lot in the picture must be the entire group and their families.
Does Argentina ever try to talk to the Government of the Falklands about this? While Britain maintains a large military edge over Argentina it seems the most prudent course of action for them to take.
I get the impression Argentina doesnt really give two craps what the Falklands think.
I get the impression London doesn't really give two craps what Argentina, the U.S., the EU or the U.N. think.

The Falklands/British government has always echoed London's position after 1982.
We don' t get too upset about having the flag burnt in the UK. Im sure if a British company got a big order to supply Union Jacks to Argentina not many people would object.
Well, would that pay for the depoyment of this enw fancy ship? Might as well make some money out of it.

This is the key bit, I think. The "self determination" thing is a bit laughable for the British to use given the way they run roughshod over the will of those colonies when it suits them. It's a figleaf, the real answer is they want it because it's useful, just like Argentina want them to not have it because it's useful.

One day the UK will pull most/all of the military out of Gibraltar to save money and because NATO means it's not really needed. That'll leave Gibraltar barely viable, regardless of what they might wish. And meanwhile, did Hong Kong get a say in its fate?

I believe the Falklands wish to remain a British territory and also that Hong Kong was a 99 year lease. Also, Gibraltar is still used quite regularly despite NATO being around today.

Takhisis said:
Why don't you read what your own government has to say as well as find out what diplomacy means?
I believe the US is taking a similar (mostly neutral) position to 82 so as not to jeopardise US interests in the region, Argentina would be more offended if the US position was unfavourable than Britain would.

Just let the islands vote on it. Give them the option to be independent, part of Argentina, or part of the UK. Seems like the fairest way to do it since we are talking western world here.

Just let the islands vote on it. Give them the option to be independent, part of Argentina, or part of the UK. Seems like the fairest way to do it since we are talking western world here.

This would be a totally viable option if Argentina factored the rights of the inhabitants into their stance at all. Which they don't. The Falkland Islanders voting to stay part of the UK would not make Argentina lessen down its rhetoric over the issue in the slightest.

:lol:

They already have, in the 90's I believe. They opted to remain British.

I believe that Hong Kong was a 99 year lease.

No. Hong Kong island was ceded in perpetuity, it was Kowloon that had the 99 year lease.

The fig leaf was that the island was unsustainable without supplies from the mainland.

Kind of like the Falklands supplies being cut off fom South America, wouldn't you say ?

Top Bottom