The Future Era

Some unit proposals:
Spoiler :
I think this might be an idea for some kind of futuristic ship:

And some fighter/bomber inspiration:

It is also a must to have a futuristic civ included with future UU and UB and Leader (of course a good bit of Fantasy). Some potential future civs could be:
  • Kosovo
  • Tunisia
  • Dem. Rep. of Congo (Earlyer Zaire)
  • Quebec
  • Bangaladesh (Maybe not that strong in resources, but surely a population superpower)

With technologies, i have no idea.

Huhh, I don't get what do you want with these civs
This is about a future era with more techs and some more units, not a scenario or something else...
Basically a little further expanded Next War, if Capo did not change his mind about that

Yeah, basically I'm adding a tech or two and a handful of units. Not to mention that image of the ship is way too big for me to take seriously or even look at. I suppose now would be a good time to put up some images of units I was thinking of adding to the future era:

These are just a few of the units I have stored away for this. I'm not sure how extensive the change is going to be. I may add a tech or two (I may not). Most likely I'll add a couple of units though.

Attachments

• D2FutureUnitPreview.jpg
    D2FutureUnitPreview.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 2,413
I think you should add many tech's so we can get a real, longlasting era just like the other ones.

I think you should add many tech's so we can get a real, longlasting era just like the other ones.

Well, it has however many techs Next War adds (I think it is around seven or so that next war adds), so I mean, if I add three that's like ten future techs total, which I think is fine. There's no way to know what the future will hold, so I don't want to delve into the realm of Science Fiction more than Next War does.

DO IT! I want to see the Grunts from Halo conquer the earth and Monaco becoming a world superpower! :p

DO IT! I want to see the Grunts from Halo conquer the earth and Monaco becoming a world superpower! :p

Huhh. I think no comment from me :p
It's better for everyone :)

As far as a future era. I think you really only of 2 generic options to pick from.
Post 1 will be (at least my idea on 1), I will post a 2nd with the other idea.

A) "Super Weapons"
By this I mean, continue in the progression of each "Line" (maybe combine a few), and combat continues in much of the same way, going with the assumtion that human conflict will build stronger, more destructive weapons, and stronger protection vs these destructive weapons.
For example:
Modern Armor --> Dreadnought (the unit from Next War, renamed to something else)
This would be the City Attack/Main Battle Force option.
Gunship --> Attack Chopper: This is the counter to the Dreadnought. Strong vs the Slow moving tanks.
Mech Infantry ---> xxxxxxx: This would be a counter to the Chopper (and other Aircraft units.

That is your primary Rock/Paper/Scissors combat engine.
The other units you continue in much of the same way, maybe eliminating some might be considered obsolete (i.e. Siege Weapons).
Mobile Artillery ---> Dreadnought: Here your combineing the Main Battle Tank, and Artillery lines. Asuming that the Guns on each are probably not going to be that different. This is also for simplicity sake. If you are only adding 7 to 10 techs at the end, you dont want to add 10 new units. Remember some of the current units are opened up at the end of the current game, you want to give those units their time before eliminating them.
Mobile SAM ---> xxxxxx: (same unit the Mech Infantry upgrades too). For much of the same reason as the above elimination, this is for simplicity sake.

Stealth Bomber: This becomes the primary "Siege" unit. we already see bombing runs by aircraft (many un-manned) being used to soften up defenses before the land troops enter the frey. I dont think this unit should be upgraded, perhaps you put a Bomber before it (maybe a Strategic Bomber?) to bridge the gap between the WW2 era bomber and the Stealth.

Split this line
Jet Fighter: ---> Stealth Fighter: Very High interception rate (use the EE2 Art)
Jet Fighter: ---> Strike Fighter: Strong anti-ground units (anti Tank/Infantry, weak in air to air, and not that good at bombing city defenses).

Pros:
Its easy to impliment since is more of the same concepts. It should be easy to understand. The hardest part will be balancing out the Strenghs and Bonuses of each unit.

Cons:
Its more of the same thing.

B) Insurgence
Using the Iraq and Afghanistan wars as a rubric for warfare of the future. We try and mimic this in Civ terms.
Now I dont have many examples of this, because much of this might have to be coded in python, which I am not that good at.

The focus will be on para-military combat. i.e. Fighting Invisible targets.
A) Create a unit called "Fanatic" or something else maybe Insurgence. Make it invisible, and able to destroy targets within the city. (I mentioned this within another thread)
B) Create a unit called "Insurgence" or something to that effect if Insurgence is used for "A". Give this unit a very high attack/defense in hills/forest/jungles etc.. If its possible maybe make them invisible in forests/jungles.
C) Create the Special Ops unit mentioned in another thread as the primary counter to the Fanatic (A) i.e. able to see them, and much stronger then them.

The rest of the units, one can upgrade where necessary to counter the Insurgence unit (B). I think the focus here should be on more aircraft units.
Maybe Split the Jet Fighter as mentioned in the previous post, and adding a late 20th century bomber to bridge the WW2 Bomber and Stealth Bomber (also mentioned in the previous post). One could also introduce an UCAV (Unmaned Combat Aerial Vehicle), in addition to the UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle).
UCAV could perform the Drone Attacks Capo mentioned in another thread while the:
UAV could be strickly a long range reconaissance aircraft

Again only ideas. This concept could change combat, but probably requires more creative coding. One thing BTS did was create different Invisibility types, so the option for different units to be able to see some, but not others exists.

Sorry for the triple post, but I wanted to have this mentioned and not clutter up the 2 ideas. This isn't a good idea for Diplomacy II, so excuse me again for the clutter, but like I said, wanted to throw this out there.
1 concept I always wanted to try and impliment, but never had the ability was a "Fork in the Road" type idea. By this I mean, code in some events that might change the world. This jumps into the realm of science fiction, using many of the sci-fi archtypes of doomsday.

i.e.
A) Nuclear Holocost: Reforms the world, destroy alot of things, Tech Tree changes to the concepts in Fury Road, where humanity starts from scratch.
Trigger could be X amount of nuclear weapons used
B) 1984/Brave New World: somehow let civilizations "merge" forming super nations (like in the Next War Mod). Let everything just get stronger. Basically the Next War mod.
C) Terminator/Matrix: Upon discovery of a tech called "AI", this spawns a Civ (maybe called Skynet or "The Machines", that have stronger units then most of mankind, mankind must band together to stop them. This is more science fiction.
This tech can be eliminated from being researched if the Nuclear Holocost happens first.

Again, this doesn't pertain to Diplomacy II, just throwing ideas out there incase any of it does sound interesting.
Either way, I do think an event, like too many Nuclear Weapons used, should cause some catastrophic event (either everyone looses, or tremendous global warming consequences, etc..)

I'm always happy to get new ideas, and I don't mind triple posts at all. So post away!

I should mention that, in the ORIGINAL, idea for the Diplomacy future-era the plan was to have global warming trigger a "desertification" and almost apocalyptic event on the Earth. So while the world wouldn't descend completely into a "Mad Max/Fury Road" sitaution, it would be close. Resources would be very tight, and building very powerful/technologically advanced units would be difficult and costly to do. So there was going to be a lot of simple units (melee units make their return) etc.

This proved to be way too much, as far as art and python would go, and would make the mod unweildy. A few people were in favor of that though, so as a compromise I decided just to add Next War and maybe add a few goodies to it. This is something I want to handle last though. I'd like to first see how the mod performs and then decide if I want to edit anything. But ideas are always good and welcome here.

The future era could simply also refer to graphics changes in Next War units (I already plan on adding a new type of Mech, and then changing the current, nationally limited mech, to a later tech). I am changing the cyborg unit graphics too.

An future event idea that could happen if a certain amount of nuclear weapons are created are the "fallout". This consists of a global massive health reduction and can generate random fallouts (destroying the current improvement on that tile). If you could manage to do it an idea could also have been to add a function where fallouts reduces some of the healt of the units in adjent tiles (such as by 20% or something).

I just ask that you don't move the space victory so far back that we have to go through all of the future techs. At least if you follow some of the suggestions of seriously expanding Next War.
I don't want to have to wait until I have giant robots to win space victory, basically.

You so shuld add the Apocalypse Tank/Mammoth Tank/Overlord tank from the CnC series, that would be cool :D.

And you could add the Tiberium resource aswell :p

You so shuld add the Apocalypse Tank/Mammoth Tank/Overlord tank from the CnC series, that would be cool :D.

And you could add the Tiberium resource aswell :p

We are going to discuss the future era and how far we are going to go with it at a later time, but ideas are always welcome, so keep them coming if you have them. :goodjob:

We definitely need an expanded future. The normal one is two techs and then a flood of future techs that really do nothing for you besides add health and happiness.

I think looking at the Final Frontier, Mars Now!, and Next War mods for ideas would be good.

Top Bottom