The Great Wonders and Projects Thread

For the first builder of the internet, +1 culture or +1 commerce in every city with power, per technology that other civilisations discover by building the internet (later on, if ever)?

Let's change the Internet project. Currently, it grants techs known by at least two civs to its owner. It can therefore be very powerful for any civ that is not very advanced, but it requires a very advanced tech and the tech tree makes it difficult to beeline anything, which means it is usually built by the civs who need it the least.

I have three suggestions:
1) Make it a per-civ project instead of a per-world project, possibly with a bonus for the first builder (extra culture? due to the worldwide cultural influence the Internet gave the US). This way, any civ that reaches Telecommunication can modernize rapidly.
2) Keep it per-world, but change the effect so that the owner gets techs discovered by two civs, and every civs gets techs discovered by X civs (where X could be half of the civs). This way, creating the Internet helps disperse knowledge to everyone.
3) Combine both (1) and (2) into a collaborative project, as suggested in the original post. Any civ who builds it gets the techs discovered by two civs, and every civ gets the techs known by X civs after Y civs have built the Internet.

These suggestions aim at decreasing the tech disparity that tends to exist at the end of the game, where many civs tend to be stuck in the Middle Ages or Renaissance. In real life, most technologies quickly diffuse to most countries that are not North Korea. In game, we rarely get communist China because China is still discovering the Scientific Method in 1974.

(Also, it is annoying that Great Engineers cannot rush-build the Internet. I know why that is, but the Internet is clearly an engineering feat, unlike say the United Nations. And we even have people like Tim Berners-Lee as GE names! And it would help less-advanced civs to have a shot at it.)

(Come to think of it, the UN should really be a project, not a wonder. It could be linked to Great Statesmen somehow.)

What if it was a per civ project with something along the lines of the following:
First to build gets
  • +1 Culture +1 Commerce in all Cities with power
  • All Techs known by a civ that built the internet
Everyone gets
  • Bonus to all Companies in all cities with power
  • 1 Extra use of Power in all cities with Power
  • Extra bonus for Computer Industry
  • All Techs known by 2 other civs that built the internet
Also, should there be some sort of Project or Wonder that represents national internet sensors? Not like the censorship of Nazism in France or Germany, but the widespread censorship of China and North Korea. Speaking of North Korea, there's zero chance the new map will be able to have a split Korea, right?

The Great Firewall?

No, it's not.

It's a Wonder in Civ V.
That's where I remember it from.

Maybe it could aid in stability

Maybe the effect could focus around boosting Domestic Stability, increasing the cost of foreign nations to perform espionage, and making the user not count towards foreign civs gaining their techs via the internet.

Leoreth, have you ever read into the meaning behind the excessive erosion on the Sphinx?

No? What about it?

No? What about it?

"From his investigation of the enclosure's geology, Schoch concluded the main type of weathering evident on the Sphinx enclosure walls was caused by prolonged and extensive rainfall.[1] According to Schoch, the area has experienced a mean annual rainfall of approximately one inch (2.5 cm) since the Old Kingdom (c. 2686 – 2134 BC), such that, since Egypt's last period of significant rainfall ended between the late fourth and early 3rd millennium BC,[6] the Sphinx's construction must date to the 6th or 5th millennium BC.[7][8][9]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphinx_water_erosion_hypothesis

That's interesting.

I came back from my vacation in the land-that-is-always-suggested-as-a-civ-but-is-too-small-to-work-well with an idea for a modern religious wonder:

Bahá'í Gardens (Tourism, requires Judaism, Islam and at least another religion in the city) [Ottoman/British/Israel]
No instability from religious disunity

Idea: This would allow representation of the Bahá'í faith, which emphasizes the truth of all religions. It could be another effect related to having multiple religions if this one is undesirable or already in use somewhere I'm not aware.

I'm guessing there's no art for this, and I realize that this will probably spell doom for this suggestion (maybe something could be worked from the oracle model, it looks similar to the Shrine of the Bab). So at least I'll try to make this post useful by discussing other wonder-related things.

I like the idea!
I also wanted to give Jerusalem a modern wonder. I propose the Shrine of the book or the (and I know its in Haifa) The shrine of the Bab. This wonder can have priests give +1 science, reflecting the Bahai's belief about religion and science and the role of religious archeology in science; also making Jerusalem (with at least two shrines and two wonders) a very useful modern city.

I did however flesh out this idea:
Shrine of The Book

• All Priests and Settled Great Prophets in city produce +1 :science:
  • +2 Scientist :gp:
  • Double Production Speed With: Stone
  • Tech Prerequisite: Tourism
  • Other Requirements: Temple of Solomon
  • Alternate Primary Effect: City ruins produce +200 :science: When removed
  • Discription: This Section of the Israel musuem houses the Dead Sea Scrolls, which date to the second century BC. And the and the Aleppo Codex, a 10th century manuscript. These texts are of great historical, religious, and linguistic significance, bringing tourists and scholars from around the world
  • Reasoning: Gives Jerusalem, with it's two shrines and at least one religion oriented wonder, Plus any addtional temples (since it often has 3 or more religons), additional value in the Modern era, rewarding players for capturing a city that till this day is the center of much conflict.

The Shrine of the Book is a great idea too! Less impressive than the Baha'i gardens, I'd say, but at least it's in Jerusalem itself.

(It felt a little bit underwhelming when I visited, but that's probably because I'm not very much into the Bible)

Also, it seems that the Iran-Iraq War mod has art for both the Baha'i shrine and the Shrine of the Book.

Maybe add the Ice hotel in sweden as a wonder that makes snow tiles usable. Like +1 gold to all snow tiles in the city it is built on.

Can someone please explain me the effect of Topkapi Palace? Extra production in newly conquered cities? How much is extra and how will that appear in my cities? For example as Arabia I just finished the Palace and then captured Madrid. After resistance was over Madrid had regular production based on tile yield, nothing extra :dunno:

Can someone please explain me the effect of Topkapi Palace? Extra production in newly conquered cities? How much is extra and how will that appear in my cities? For example as Arabia I just finished the Palace and then captured Madrid. After resistance was over Madrid had regular production based on tile yield, nothing extra :dunno:

Did you receive an increase in the number of hammers invested upon conquest? Haven't tried out the Topkapı Palace yet for myself but I think that should be the effect :)

Well I didn't notice even after I checked... More detailed explanation of effect in Pedia would be great...

You should have some initial invested production in the conquered cities that goes to the first building or unit you select at the end of the turn.

Are the ideas in this thread a priority for implementation? Building wonders are one of the great joys of Civ, and I think there's a lot of great concepts here for making gameplay more interesting and unique for each civilization.

Top Bottom