The greatest Civ mod ever?

Having played a couple of games of HW through (and starting a far greater number!), then gone back to Civ4 (with AdvCiv) - I do think this mod is absolutely great. The civics, religion tenets, use of combat mechanics (retreating particularly) feels like this is how Civ4 should be.

I have a few things:

It seems easy to skirt around the civil war/dissent mechanic taking all the units in the revolting city by just evacuating them completely once they become rebellious. It's fun to play around but it feels like a 'gotcha' if you happen to have a big stack garrisoned, and it doesn't seems like the military stack does enough to prevent a rebellion, even if you can see it coming a ways off. There's even the loading hint pointing this out. Wouldn't it be better if you didn't have to do this manual micro? Maybe if you have a stack in a city which rebels, they should fight immediately, and the city should lose some population if the rebels lose.

There's a general issue with lategame slowdown and stuttering, not sure what from. Feels it correlates with ships/water, and seems to have decreased once upgrading past clippers.

AdvCiv incorporates a mod where when looking at building options, it says what the effective change would be (so if you're running the right civic/have the right resources it'll say +2 happy faces etc)
E: apparently this is the "absolute building effects" part of BUG from the city screen tab of its options, but I can't see a BUG options menu in HR, despite it being incorporated...

Last edited:
Thank you for all your kind words.

It's considered impolite to promote a different mod in another mod's subforum.
oh user was asking what's the greatest civ mod ever, in topic title ;)

Could you Folks explain me what you like most of this mod?
Does the diplo features add a deeper interaction with other civs?

Does the diplo features add a deeper interaction with other civs?
Their bugged state in 1.25 actually ruin it.
Could you Folks explain me what you like most of this mod?
Separation of GP pools Civ5-style. Traits rework. Civic rework (except OP Land Estates) and tenets. How organically it's all interwoven. How all yields are much more equal in value compared to vanilla (especially culture, it's pressure is a major layer of struggle here). Early tech tree balance. Pastures, quarries, camps and orchards independent from boni and able to spawn them. Great less-is-more design altogether.

So I play better with Version 1.24?

I want
  • A game in which resources are important and in which you have to compete for resources.
  • In which diplomacy and exchange across national borders are important.
  • Where there are ways to fight enemies beyond war (the stability system in RI is great, for example, because you can use it to cause unrest among your rivals.

Is History Rewritten the right mod for that?

A game in which resources are important and in which you have to compete for resources.
They are more important, since happiness and health affect dissent. But they provide less yields (only 1 extra from improvement). It's still a great design. I strongly recommend Smart Map script for amount of resources customization, note that stone and marble are in Other category there, it's best set to few.
In which diplomacy and exchange across national borders are important.
Since cottages come relatively late here and maintenance is a b*tch, it's really important to sell excess boni and maps, you also push with your culture through the trade routes. But relations are very easy to spoil with religion, even though you can convert to No Religion without a revolution.
Where there are ways to fight enemies beyond war (the stability system in RI is great, for example, because you can use it to cause unrest among your rivals.
It's even more essential here, though I wastly prefer HR's approach to yields over RI's. It's still flawed, so I made a balance modmod for multiplayer. Culture is volatile in HR, you can hardly settle next to 2 rival capitals if it's far from your own (default civic buffs culture in captials 50%).

So I play better with Version 1.24?
I still prefer 1.25 for it's traits and in multiplayer broken diplomacy doesn't matter as much.
Is History Rewritten the right mod for that?
Well, for non-military confrontation Civ6 is still better or maybe Humankind. HR is great for multiplayer, but last few attempts only 3 people attended reliably. Final Frontier Plus is a good option for what you seek, but it's AI is terrible as Civ4's in general is.

Top Bottom