The Hall of Players

Do you like this nice city Ramesses was kind enough to build for me :lol: :devil:

Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG

Only one inner-ring food. Should have razed it.

:lol:
And then realize that there was GLH:thumbsup:
BTW, my little trick did work and will allow a couple more cities. As I expected, AI is very keen on getting first border pop as soon as possible. Another trick was to promt Darius to create a colony ensuring that I can give away more cities if necessary.
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0681.JPG

Subscribed. Amazing game: 610 AD. I didn't realize it was on Small until your last post. That's even more impressive. There's just not a lot of territory to work with.

Subscribed. Amazing game: 610 AD. I didn't realize it was on Small until your last post. That's even more impressive. There's just not a lot of territory to work with.

Its gigantic compared to Tiny! Although there were not any great GP farms, at least I had several decent ones. Also a lot more forests for all purposes. A lot more strong cities for all purposes.

Still not much to conquer, though. I only mobilized to open second front when Darius built GLH. Such map size simply does not justify building more units, even if it leads to somewhat faster conquest. Then there is the effect of highly promoted units having 99% odds vs flatland defenders. When one can keep rolling over the map with such units accompanied by new ones on two or even three fronts it should snowball into something. That is invest more into military to conquer faster then build even more units to keep going even faster rather than stop after initial surge.

I was rather cought of my guard by research rate. Did not expect anything sooner than 800 AD and when my first projections from t240 pointed at ~650 AD landing I was just:eek2: and thought they were overly optimistic. Should have built more workers sooner for one thing. In fact, a major rethink was required. For example, only NE city could produce more than one relevant great person. And it all just works differently when everything is squashed into a much smaller space of time. I can't even begin to imagine how you can squeez conquering, GP production, building, teching, spreading etc. into 90 AD timeframe. That is 63 fewer turns to do it all! But then I did land 79 turns faster than on Tiny:confused:. But that was mainly due to early warfare being sustainable on Small, while on Tiny I had to wait for Currency and Construction.

Oh, and I really need to slow down a bit - 36 hours is much too fast.

I'm playing a random fractal Deity game that I hope to be able to win somehow, though it didn't exactly turn out splendidly AI-wise (Julius, Alex, Isabella, Mao, Gandhi + 1 unknown). Gandhi is on my own continent and I wonder... can Cataphracts deal with Castle-protected Pikes and Longbows, or would it be total suicide? I really don't have the EPs to do much with city revolts either (no multipliers), but maybe one. Only one city is on a hill, but it doesn't look very stellar when looking at this combat calculator :undecide:

At 12-strength they are good in the open, but lack the Cuirs' ability to ignore walls, which will matter a good deal here due to AIs 1-turning Castles everywhere the instant they get Engineering.

I'm thinking of either going for it soon with Theo+Vassalage, or going into teching mode with Buro and go for Cannons. Don't have a bunch of units (essentially stayed small to get early Astro bulb), but a few are more-or-less ready to produce units.
Spoiler :
Justy T129-Empire.jpg

Tempting to have a go of it due the AI being Gandhi (appears to be in culture mode with wonders galore), but it's definitely possible losses will be too heavy against bad odds, and we lose most of the army after 2 cities.

Cataphracts can deal with Walls Pikes but against Castles you need Trebs.
Thanks. I ended up concluding the same in the meantime, and have ignored Gandhi for now, while going for Cannons. Have just declared on Isabella, who happens to be the strongest AI, but also closest. Maybe it will prove to be a mistake to not take out Gandhi, despite Friendly status, because he's teching fast while also going heavy into culture, and stealing tiles galore. However, I hope it will be possible to peace vassal him if the war on Isabella goes well.

AIs sure love their boats tho, frickin' hell.
Spoiler :
Justy T170-Julius boats.jpg

Looking at my Deity EQM page, think I only have one normal speed Deity game in the HoF, so would be great to win this one -- one way or another. Was just a random fractal map, so we'll see... So much can go wrong at this level.

Top Bottom