The historical basis for "X" Independence

NedimNapoleon

Weird Little Human
This split from the Catalonia thread so discuss.

I think that Cabinda should become a sovereign nation

Why Cabinda, of all places? What good will it serve to have yet another country in Africa?

No need for the wealthy oil havers to be supporting them poors after all.

Spoiler :

Let us resurrect the final Maya kingdom! RIP 1847-1915 - Chan Santa Cruz!

If the Tatars ever come back in a big way, maybe Crimean independence. But as it now stands Crimea's largely Russian and Ukrainian.

Said below, also its not linked by land to the "motherland"...I hate it when countries do that. Thats why I say Ragusa should either be independent or annexed by Bosnia.

That's a pretty bad reason to look for independence. Every island: now it's own country.

Island are different. I hate enclaves. For example, you have to go through the DRC to get the Cabinda from Luanda. The province is cut off from the capital and motherland, unlike an island which isn't cornered by two other nations.

In case of Catalonia the main motive for its separatism is the fact that Spanish economy sucks, while Catalonian economy is great.

This is why Catalonias are tired of driving the economic growth of the rest of Spain at their own expense.

=============================

This actually applies to some extent also to California versus the rest of the USA. :mischief:

Historical basis for the independence of the Duchy of Inowrocław:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Inowrocław

The Duchy of Inowrocław (Polish: Księstwo Inowrocławskie) was one of the territories created during the period of the fragmentation of Poland. It was originally part of the Duchy of Kuyavia, but was separated by Ziemomysł and Władysław I the Elbow-high, upon the death of Duke Casimir I in 1267. The Inowrocław Voivodeship was established on the territory of duchy in 1364.

Dukes of Inowrocław:

1267–1287 Ziemomysł of Kuyavia
1287–1320/24 Leszek of Kuyavia, son
1287–1314 Przemysł of Sieradz, younger brother, with Leszek
1320/24-1327 Przemysł of Sieradz, again
1227–1333 Władysław I the Elbow-high, brother of Ziemomysł of Kuyavia
1333-1370 Casimir III the Great, son
1370-1377 Casimir IV, Duke of Pomerania, adopted son
1378-1392 Władysław Opolczyk, great-grandson of Władysław I the Elbow-high

Map of the duchy - the red area is the territory of the duchy (against a background of a map of Poland):

Spoiler :

In case of Catalonia the main motive for its separatism is the fact that Spanish economy sucks, while Catalonian economy is great.

This is why Catalonias are tired of driving the economic growth of the rest of Spain at their own expense.

You don't need to post the same thing twice in two threads.

Island are different. I hate enclaves. For example, you have to go through the DRC to get the Cabinda from Luanda. The province is cut off from the capital and motherland, unlike an island which isn't cornered by two other nations.

Unless you go over the water, which is the same way you get to islands. And for the record, neither Cabinda or Dubrovnik (and environs) are enclaves.

Unless you go over the water, which is the same way you get to islands. And for the record, neither Cabinda or Dubrovnik (and environs) are enclaves.

They are enclaves, Pene-enclaves to be precise. They are regions that are not contiguous with the main land region, that are not entirely surrounded by either alien land or alien territorial waters, and that have land access only through a second country (or the equivalent level of subnational governmental district). Hence, they are enclaves or exclaves for practical purposes, without meeting the strict definition. Islands on the other hand do no border 2 or 3 other nations. Administratively speaking an area such Cabinda is in an unstable region so its connection with the rest of the country is weak...Cabinda would be a much better place if it was independent because it would not be reliant on the far yet close capital Luanda from which it is cut off. Another reason is that Pene-enclaves look ugly on maps.

Oil-rich regions not connected by land to their home countries should be independent? What about Alaska?

They are enclaves, Pene-enclaves to be precise. They are regions that are not contiguous with the main land region, that are not entirely surrounded by either alien land or alien territorial waters, and that have land access only through a second country (or the equivalent level of subnational governmental district). Hence, they are enclaves or exclaves for practical purposes, without meeting the strict definition. Islands on the other hand do no border 2 or 3 other nations. Administratively speaking an area such Cabinda is in an unstable region so its connection with the rest of the country is weak...Cabinda would be a much better place if it was independent because it would not be reliant on the far yet close capital Luanda from which it is cut off. Another reason is that Pene-enclaves look ugly on maps.

Neither Cabinda or Dubrovik would appear to require crossing through alien waters to reach them, which makes them not enclaves of any sort. They are exclaves.

And 'looks ugly on a map' is about the worst way to decide national borders.

I read some time ago Cabinda actually had a pretty good independence movement going until the Portuguese quashed it and made sure it stayed Angolan - I think, with the intention of constant bickering between the two allowing Portugal to maintain some sort of economic control over the two. Inno would know considerably more about this than me, I would imagine.

Oil-rich regions not connected by land to their home countries should be independent? What about Alaska?

What a good idea! Then Sarah Palin can run for President of Alaska and stop blighting US politics.

And 'looks ugly on a map' is about the worst way to decide national borders.

That's the only way to decide them in EU3. :)

Top Bottom