The IceBreaker Mod - dynamic icecaps and ice-breaking vessels!

Till is probably a better word for what you want. A moraine, lateral or terminal, is generally more like a hill of debris left either from glacial melt on the sides or terminus, or stuff that's just fallen off the glacier. You can look here for more info.

--Kristine

Till and Moraine are both glacier-deposited, what you're probably looking for is Taiga. Tundra is the near-uninhabitable permafrost between the ice cap and northern tree line. Taiga is the subartic, often forest-covered climate between the permafrost and temperate zone across North America and Eurasia.

Tundra

Taiga

www.blueplanetbiomes.org/taiga.htm

So it could be "Ice" - the feature, "Tundra" - permafrost, and "Taiga" - greyish terrain.

For Glaciers, is it possible to add new terrain features? The current Ice feature doesn't look so good on land, since it's graphically designed to rest subsurface in water. If it's possible to add a new Glacier terrain feature that has a Z-axis shift upwards, that'd look pretty cool.

I could use the word Taiga, but it is actually the word for the forest, not the soil or landform. Does not matter much though, because most of this terrain is covered by forest, and will be because it will not be very exploited during the game.

This mod is very interesting. I'm definitely going to use it in my next game. Althoough I have never been close to either of the poles. I've always been in the equatorial region.

Can't believe it, an eco-feature mod I missed. ;)

But it seems the creator has abandonned it? :(

I am not sure how to develop this mod further.

I am thinking of making a Maritime mod, including changes of several other parameters for oceans and naval units.

Perhaps if naval units were actually killed when they bumped into this moving ice, then that would make a better gameplay. IRL, most early polar explorers were trapped and died. That way, caravels on terra shouldn't be able to get a circumavigation bonus through a northern passage, unless they get lucky.

I would definitely make all wooden vessels sink when contacted by ice. For modern ones, they could get trapped (zero movement) for as long as the ice stands.

Maybe we could make an animal unit called "blizzard" that appears in ice squares and kills units?

How about a random event that let the ice advance? :D New Ice Age anyone?

Of course, it should have a check that cities are not "covered" so to speak after a certain age.

Btw, is it possible to code that an improvement of a tile is not destroyed when the tile changes? Like grassland becoming tundra (or taiga in this mod I suppose) because of the glaciers closing in towards the equador, but the improvement "survives" that tile-change?

Terrain features will not grow on improved land, so that is a good way to hold back the ice.

Will this mod fit 1.61?

Very useful for me, it always seem that every time I'm near the poles I have to go around the ice which takes about 12+ turns. Now I just need to break it.

I would love to see you make an maritime mod. I play alot of isle scenarios and find alot missing when it comes to the naval aspect of it. I would definetly download it. Maybe have helicopters/transport planes that can drop sensor buoys to keep an eye out for them subs sorta thing. I would also like to see battleships being able to devastate land squares again. Anyways. I would really like to see what you come up with. Thanks

I think sensor buoys would best be modelled as sea units. These units would have zero maintenance cost, movement rate of 1 and the ability to see submarines.

This mod should be simple to reconstruct, but I'll wait until the next patch. BtS is too buggy now.

Cool mod, but since I'm playing BtS now, I'll wait until you update it to use it (or until the maritime mod comes out). Just a thought, perhaps you could use some of the coding that FfH2's Age of Ice scenario has, that's with Beyond the Sword?

Any thoughts of bringing this into BtS?

Ice Breaker for BTS v3.13

Your prayers have finally been answered. I have created a BTS 3.13 version of the Ice Breaker Mod. This is another modest creation that gives the late workboat unit the following capabilities:

1. Workboat can break ice, which allows it to travel or pass through what would normally be impassible ice.

2. Workboat can remove Ice after 5 turns. This capability is extremely useful, as you can remove ice to open up a passage way for other water units. An open passage saves travel time by reducing the number of turns to reach your destination.

3. Workboat cannot enter the ocean until Astronomy.

4. Workboat cannot pass through or remove Ice until Combustion.

You can use this BTS mod freely, but when you do, please give me credit. It took me several days to convert the mod and figure out how to make everything work correctly. :)

Very Respectfully,

Orion Veteran :cool:

Attachments

• IcebreakerBTS.zip
    201.7 KB · Views: 312
Top Bottom