The Immortal Alphabetical Game #10 - Catherine

budweiser

King of the Beers
Welcome to The Immortal Alphabetical Game #10 - Catherine the Great!

In this game you will form the world's largest country using your UU, the Cossack! Afterwards you will complete your victory as an enlightened despot by achieving a cultural Autocracy win.

Map type & settings
Spoiler :
Pangea, standard everything

Achievements
Spoiler :
There are 100 points total, 25ea in 4 categories.

Mother Russia
5/10/15 - 1/2/3 Warm Water Ports (a coastal city that is not on tundra or ice with a Seaport in it) that you captured with *Don Cossacks and then annexed.
5 - Biggest Country
5 - Coast to Coast – Your country stretches either North to South OR East to West and touches both coasts.

War
5 - Biggest Army
5 - 6 Points in Autocracy
5/10/15 - 1/2/3 Enemy caps that you captured with *Don Cossacks and then annexed.

Peace

5/10/15 - 1/2/3 Guilds in Petersburg
5 - Great Works Full in Petersburg including museum
5 - More Tourism in Petersburg than in any other country

Autocratic CV
25 - Before 1796
15 - Before 1916
5 - Before 1991

*Don Cossack is a special Cossack that is built/bought from a single designated city which is located on a river. Other Cossacks can be acquired but they do not score achievement points.

Starting Location
Spoiler :

Attachments

• iagCatherine_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    660.3 KB · Views: 146
I suppose you could make it easier to keep track by only ever building or buying cossacks in one designated riverside city.

Question about the starting position: Does it seem more attractive to SIP and preserve the two riverside grassland tiles for farms, or move one tile SW to avoid the snow in the northerly 3rd ring?

When you said Petersberg above, did you mean that or did you mean the natural capital Moscow? I assume you meant St. Petersberg for some additional flavour but I just wanted to check.

When you said Petersberg above, did you mean that or did you mean the natural capital Moscow? I assume you meant St. Petersberg for some additional flavour but I just wanted to check.

Correct, not Moscow. A little city specialization.

Not a fan of don Cossacks achievements. It's extremely difficult to keep track.

yeah, the only way I can think of doing that would be to rename them as they appear and watch out their movement

this is looking like fun, so I might try it. The Poland game was a disaster and I obviously need to replay it a bit seriously

also, since geographically Moscow is not on the river Don and Rostov is, I suppose we *should* designate Rostov for that. IIRC it is the 4rd default city name as Russia so it may be a while before that particular city is strong enough to pump out units on its own. But since it's Immortal, I suppose we can get away with a bit of *sub-optimal* city specialization

Since we can't move capitals in civ V, we should just rename our capital to St. Petersburg for the RP. Similarly we can rename a river city to Rostov.

Since we can't move capitals in civ V, we should just rename our capital to St. Petersburg for the RP. Similarly we can rename a river city to Rostov.
Not a bad idea. Wish I had thought of it. I've played this map 3 times going n to s. Maybe I will play it one more time. For RP drop St. that's what they did in Russia.

Kind of difficult to keep track of historical things. Played 100 turns, is this setup ok, I used Russian names :)

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Managed to grab both southern locations on the grounds of screwing over the Celts, tee hee. I have Hanging Gardens and Oracle in my cap, with which I managed to fill out Tradition on turn 75. I'm moving towards Education and will probably buy 3 Unis, meanwhile starting on culture generation and midgame wonder fest. Then swing back to Dynamite and Cossacks to take over the coasts, hopefully there will be enough. I'm not sure it's possible to get all 100 in good time

Attachments

• ruskii.jpg
    ruskii.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 671
Spoiler :

Managed to grab both southern locations on the grounds of screwing over the Celts, tee hee. I have Hanging Gardens and Oracle in my cap, with which I managed to fill out Tradition on turn 75. I'm moving towards Education and will probably buy 3 Unis, meanwhile starting on culture generation and midgame wonder fest. Then swing back to Dynamite and Cossacks to take over the coasts, hopefully there will be enough. I'm not sure it's possible to get all 100 in good time

Spoiler :
I got an 85, missed time and army. I've played 3 games. I am going again and will go east to west. Good idea about HG, but I put mine in Petersburg because I settled next to the natural wonder. Stone Henge in Moscow each time for religion.

What a fun map, it was to bad that I got through most of it before the clarification on St. Petersberg, Moscow was a cultural beast, I even got great library. That in itself was weird, I went 4 city liberty and got writing relatively late, and saw GL pop up as still available... so I took the 10 turn gamble and got it.

Anyways as for achievements:

Mother Russia:
5 points for Coast to Coast
5 points for biggest country

War
5 points for biggest Army
5 Points for Autocracy policies

Peace = 0 points, full points if it was Moscow!

Auto CV
5 points for before 1991.

I really loved this map and the theme of the achievements, really added a lot of flavour, the AI's were well picked too. Thanks again!

Turn 282 CV - 65 points

very sloppy because I was tired

Spoiler :

Pretty standard 3 city Tradition domination game with Cossacks and Artillery. Could have finished a lot sooner if I paid attention. Details:

Mother Russia
5/10/15 - 1/2/3 Warm Water Ports (a coastal city that is not on tundra or ice with a Seaport in it) that you captured with *Don Cossacks and then annexed. no luck there
5 - Biggest Country easily
5 - Coast to Coast – Your country stretches either North to South OR East to West and touches both coasts. see screenshot.

War
5 - Biggest Army finished 3rd behind Dido and Bismarck
5 - 6 Points in Autocracy had 7 or 8
5/10/15 - 1/2/3 Enemy caps that you captured with *Don Cossacks and then annexed. check, but I only annexed 2 of them because I forgot I need to annex and left the third one as a puppet

Peace
5/10/15 - 1/2/3 Guilds in Petersburg Petrograd, but yes, also that was not the capital
5 - Great Works Full in Petersburg including museum not sure how to write that, I had full Sistine, Globe, Hermitage, Oxford and a Museum. Uffizi was staffed elsewhere due do being built by Celts, and I missed Louvre by a turn
5 - More Tourism in Petersburg than in any other country yes, easily. Had to kill Brazil for it

Autocratic CV

15 - Before 1916 just close as you can see

additional comments: these achievements are very nicely done. Russia shines on a map like this. I think due to the layout of civs it is MUCH easier to go north-south than west-east

Attachments

• soviet.jpg
    soviet.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 193
Can Don Cossacks be upgraded Knights?

I am enjoying this game quite a bit, a rather odd Diplo game is unfolding. T163
Spoiler :
Constant war with the Celts gave me a lot of Workers, TR plunder, and Missionary kills. I did not boot camp much as my military has been pretty small, and I was wary of Shaka for quite a while. Turns out he is my BFF, especially after I spread my strong religion to him. DOF with Pedro and Pach, until Pach coveted my wonders. Neither had any cash most of the game though.

Neb is about to take out Celts, my plan is to get him in several wars then denounce and DOW. I would like to wait for Cossacks, but I think this will give me something to do before Arty. Perhaps Neb will take some of Pedro's cities, so I can liberate a few. Clearly Neb is the path to the S coast. I have 5 cities on rivers, so no trouble making Dons. It looks like I settled Moscow quite differently than most. I misread the warm water port Achi, so settled the NW coast spot. :blush:

6 city NC with Liberty GE, planted a 7th very late as nobody took the Yakutsk spot. 2 in Piety, 3 in Aesthetics, just opened Patronage to Pisa GE FP. It took forever to get to Renn - I went for Workshops first which weren't really needed. Tradition would have been a much stronger start, and I considered Glory of God to faith buy GEs... Not quite sure how I'm going to load up tourism in St Pete. I may build Ironworks there for a boost, I did build National Epic with Guilds there.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :
Mother Russia
5/10/15 - 1/2/3 Warm Water Ports (a coastal city that is not on tundra or ice with a Seaport in it) that you captured with *Don Cossacks and then annexed. I had to annex the three western coastal CS and spend more than 4K gold for it, but I did it in time (I didn't go Commerce)
5 - Biggest Country Biggest everything! ;)
5 - Coast to Coast – Your country stretches either North to South OR East to West and touches both coasts.

War
5 - Biggest Army I had to send my armies against Shaka in the end to claim that title though
5 - 6 Points in Autocracy Spent 8 points - Absorbing huge capitals you are popular over took a lot of happiness
5/10/15 - 1/2/3 Enemy caps that you captured with *Don Cossacks and then annexed. Edinburgh, Rio de Janeiro, Babylon

Peace
5/10/15 - 1/2/3 Guilds in Petersburg
5 - Great Works Full in Petersburg including museum
5 - More Tourism in Petersburg than in any other country I don't think any other civ had above 20 tourism

Autocratic CV
25 - Before 1796
15 - Before 1916
5 - Before 1991

I went Radio > Archaeology > Dynamite and the Domination achievements were the bottleneck. Archaeology could have been skipped entirely in my game. The Celts and Brazil were the culture leaders and could have been wiped off (only wiped the Celts). All AIs had pitiful culture because of war and maybe, because I built most of the wonders. My thinking was to delay the conquest a bit to get as many Great Works from other civilizations as possible, but even by delaying it I don't think I got more than 6 Great Works from a civilization. I postponed IG (passed on last turn) to complete the domination achievements.

The start is extremely strong. Moscow had HG and I sent my early TR to Petersburg. Moscow built the happiness wonders and Petersburgh all the cultural ones. Winning all faith, culture and wonder quests from CS, I quickly became ally to most of them (the ones I found on the continent that is).

I gave rough terrain promotions to my Cossacks from Rostov and open terrain promotions to Cossacks from other cities to distinguish them. The game could have been boring due to the really good start, but the achievements made it really interesting. I now can't get enough of Russia's music theme and wish it played over and over.

Civ5Screen0018.jpg
Civ5Screen0022.jpg

t261 CV - 85 points
Spoiler :
Really well thought out Achievements, budweiser!
-----
Mother Russia
5/10/15 - 1/2/3 Warm Water Ports (a coastal city that is not on tundra or ice with a Seaport in it) that you captured with *Don Cossacks and then annexed. 0 points (Nobody had ports except Inca, Germany, and Dido)
5 - Biggest Country 5 points
5 - Coast to Coast – Your country stretches either North to South OR East to West and touches both coasts. 5 points (Went N-S, had to plop a citadel to connect Babylon and Akkad)

War
5 - Biggest Army 5 points
5 - 6 Points in Autocracy 5 points (Had 7 tenets)
5/10/15 - 1/2/3 Enemy caps that you captured with *Don Cossacks and then annexed. 15 points (Rio and Babylon, and captured Ulundi the last turn!)

Peace
5/10/15 - 1/2/3 Guilds in Petersburg 15 points
5 - Great Works Full in Petersburg including museum 5 points (Themed Uffizi, Broadway and Museum, filled Louvre but Archs didn't get extra Arti in time for theming)
5 - More Tourism in Petersburg than in any other country 5 points (71T, vs 26T Inca)

Autocratic CV
25 - Before 1796 25 points (1755 AD) finished with 202T/turn
15 - Before 1916
5 - Before 1991
-----
My first ever Autocracy CV, I think. Futurism is powerful! I took Cult of Personality, but within a turn or two Shaka made peace with Inca, so basically useless. I was able to trade and have OB with Shaka most of the game, even after he denounced. I got that freaky "complicated" message from Inca to denounce Shaka... Unsaid threat is I get denounced if I don't, only the second time I've had it in all these years.

I really didn't build much military considering I warred all game long - lots of CS gifted units. Bought a couple Bombers near the end but they never even hit anything. It was hard to gauge when the clock would run out! I lost OB with Shaka just before I bought 3 GMs, so I had to DOW him. I had avoided Dynamite as I had the GW, so I lost some turns getting ready. I still had to wait about 7 turns to overtake the Inca.

I just went wonder crazy - 18 total, 11 in Moscow (plus NC), 3 in St Pete (plus IW and Natl Epic), and one each in 4 other cities. I got beat to a couple early by 1-2 turns as well. Tradition would have really been nice here - nobody built HG!!!. Full Liberty and Aesthetics, 3 in Piety, 2 in Rat (my limit on Immortal), 7 in Autocracy.

My faith game was strong - I spread Taoism to Shaka, Inca, and Germany - which really helped with early diplo and late Tourism.
Spoiler :

Just registered to thank the topicstarter for the fun map.

I am learning to be a deity player, and this map allowed for a great start (pop growth with 3-city tradition + ToA + HG was just ridiculous), making the game rather easy, but nevertheless very enjoyable thanks to well designed achievements!

I managed a t224 CV (1570 AD) with 90 achievement points : sniped 3 western city-states in the last couple of turns, but only Ormus had a seaport, not Monaco or Wittenberg.
Knowing that, should have postponed capturing Rio de Janeiro a lot and go for Manila, Bogota, Sydney, Antwerp or even Carthage - I think that were all possible warm water ports on the continent.

Last several turns rush for achievements was fun:
* declaring war on Brasil to lose open borders and trade route tourism bonus to postpone the victory by a couple of turns needed to snipe those ports
* declaring war on Celts to plant a citadel and steal the 'coast to coast' achievement connecting Edinburgh to Rio (forgot about it earlier and razed all captured Brazilian expos)
* rushing the army to 3 western city-states and capturing them in the last turn before victory

Social policies: full tradition (played 3 city tradition before the conquest) - 3 in ratio - full aesthetics - 8 in autocracy

Self-built (not conquered) wonders: Temple of Artemis, Hanging Gardens, Parthenon, Oracle, Hagia Sophia, Notre Dame, Pisa, Machu Picchu, Uffizi, Globe, Sistine, Broadway, Eiffel Tower

Had 186 points in tourism by the end of it.

Again, it was fun, thank you ! )

Top Bottom