The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #20 Persia

Did a 3-city National College, then expansion through conquest. I used a Tradition/Liberty mix that came together very nicely -- Tradition opener, fill out most of Liberty, then back to Tradition for Aristocracy before closing Liberty. This is kind of my default Liberty strategy now, since the two Tradition policies go a long way toward fixing the common issues Liberty has (border expansion and happiness). It was especially good in this game. I built both Temple of Artemis and the Pyramids early, and the stacked GE points from those let me spawn an Engineer around turn 100. I used this for Chichen Itza, then closed Liberty with Representation a turn later. By delaying Liberty, I was able to get bonus golden age turns, and I wouldn't have been able to get the natural GE spawn if I had incremented the counter by closing Liberty earlier.

Conquest was pretty easy, since Persia's +1 movement is amazingly useful for battle. I took a bunch of wonders and great works, got both tall AND wide, and completely annihilated the top culture AI. That was enough to win immediately with faith-bought Musicians after Internet.

Attachments

• Persia.jpg
    Persia.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 108
t220 DomV
Spoiler :
Rollin', rollin', rollin'... After takin Akkad t111 I made peace with Neb, I may have re-declared to kill some prophets. What I don't get is I killed Islam in his one remaining city with my own Taoist GP, and yet he somehow converted more cities with Missionaries later? My Babylon was only putting out 6 pressure against Akkad. Anyway, finished Honor t115, and then waited for XB. My science was absolutely horrible this game! I suffered happy issues a long time, so couldn't grow my cap much - only pop 18 at the end. :rolleyes: I was going to Oxford Dynamite, but was 6 turns away, and quite ridiculously, didn't need it.

Quickly dispatched Thebes t159, he had one CB by the time I assaulted it. Assur was tougher to get to, but I had some range/log XBs, fell t177 in 3 turns. Soon some CS Gats started showing up, I upgraded 2/3 of my XB, kept a few XB for the extra range. Took Nineveh to the N on t184, which caused Alex and Rome to DOW me, which slowed down my conquest a lot, as I had to fight half the CSs. Plus I had kept 1/2 my army home because I knew Rome would come for me at some point, and he had the largest army. I even kept some good XBs back.

Slogged on and took Athens t200, no peace for 10+ turns. Rome had stayed at war with Neb, and had been trying to sneak units through my gaps, so I had a lot of units to kill fast, with no walls in my puppets. Once they were routed I had to move slowly against his cities. Citadeled once to get Antium, and twice to get Rome. Stayed at war with Rome to the end just to rack up gold for kills, and moved some lightly promoted troops towards Mecca.

While still at peace with Arabia I ran as many units as possible next to Kilimanjaro for Alt Training. DOW'd Arabia t208, so 12 turns to take him out. After finishing Commerce t205 and finally allying Singapore my happy finally got huge, so I was holding my 2nd GA because I was due for a natural GAge, thinking I'd run 2 at the end of the game, and thinking Harun would be tough.... Finally got impatient, and only used 4 turns of one GAge. :lol: 3-move GGs, with newly citadeled roads are OP - I simply took 3 road tiles in one turn, 2 with hills! Thus, the assault with Gats took only 1 turn more. Granted, I had 6 firing at Mecca. Arabia finally took Singapore, which I captured the last turn, just to up my score a bit.

Got Autocracy t208, took Elite Forces and Mobilization, as so few puppets built walls, even though I was in near perma-war all game. I did annex Athens just to get new troops in faster. In the end I had way too many units - or perhaps the right number, but so few were garrisoned.

I built Red Fort and Himeji, just to keep them from Arabia. Never did get Ironworks. Got Big Ben somewhere in there. Sent nothing but production TR to my cap because I couldn't grow. The last turn I got embargoed. :D

Attachments

• 2015-04-19_00008.jpg
    2015-04-19_00008.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 199
  • 2015-04-19_00005.jpg
    2015-04-19_00005.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 160
t182 Domination Victory!

Since its Persia I decided to go for liberty to get a golden age and nab Chicen Itza with the liberty finisher. To add a little extra challenge I forbid myself to raze any cities what so ever.

Spoiler :
Settled in place and started scouting. I found lots of helpful ruins, and some crappy ones as well. Archery, Barbs, 85 gold, Sailing, Pop, More barbs and an upgrade.

I stole a worker from Gandhi turn 10 and never made peace with him. To keep my back safe I bribed Assyria to attack Egypt since they both had issues with my expansion. After I settled 3 expos I attacked Delhi with some un-needed help of liberty-golden age. It fell t86.

I finished liberty t77 with the help from Oracle but saved my engineer to Chicen Itza instead of using it to the NC as I normally do. It finished at t96, same turn I reached Civil Service and got my beautiful wonder!

Picture:

Spoiler :

Next victim was Babylon. When I fought them Gandhi suddenly dowed me again followed by Assyria the turn after. I took Babylon t108 and on my way to fight Assyria I killed the indian geezer!

Picture:

Spoiler :

I started to move on Assyria. Rome and Egypt double-dowed me meanwhile so I had to fight on three fronts.

I reached Education t127 and got my first GA the same turn since I've prioritized Artist Guild in my BO.

Golden Age!!

I started with Egypt and Thebes, with no wonder what so ever, was mine t131. I proceded towards Assyria. He had Great Wall so I GG-bombed my way to his capital that fell 142 and gave me the lovely Machu Pichu!

Picture:

Spoiler :

Meanwhile my second army of one veteran-crossbow and one Pikeman works their way towards Rome.

Picture:

Spoiler :

t152 It's time for the next Golden age and it's Alex turn to burn! My 2 unit-army gets backup and Rome falls on t164 followed by Athens on t167.

The unhappiness from all conquering and no razing starts revolts in my kingdom.

Picture:

Spoiler :

But it's to late. I attack Arabia from two directions and it goes down on t182!

Picture:

Spoiler :

Complete build order:

Spoiler :
Capital:

Scout, Monument, Scout, Granary, Caravan, Archer, Pyramids, Archer, Settler, Settler, Library, Caravan, Archer, Oracle, Comp Bow, Immortal. NC. Immortal, Chicen Itza, Market, Aqueduct, Caravan, Artist Guild, Cirkus, Water Mill, 3x Caravans, Colosseum, University, Workshop, Writers Guild, Cirkus Maximus, Musketman, Musketman, Cannon, Musketman

Expo 1 Pasargadae:

Monument, Library, Archer, Immortal, Comp Bow, Comp Bow, Catapult, Market, Cirkus, Aqueduct, University, Workshop, Musketman, Cannon, Cannon

Expo 2 Susa:

Monument, Library, Comp Bow, Comp Bow, CompBow, Market, Pikeman, Colosseum, Aqueduct, University, Workshop, Trebuchet, Musketman, Cannon, Cannon

Expo 3 Ecbatana:

Monument, Library, Immortal, Comp Bow, Market, Cirkus, Colosseum, University/
,Workshop, Musketman

Annexed cities:

Dehli: Monument, Courthouse, Stone works, Cirkus, Aqueduct, Colosseum, University, Workshop, Trebuchet, Trebuchet, Musketman, Cannon, Musketman, Cannon

Babylon: Monument, Courthouse, Colosseum, Stone works, Cirkus, University, Workshop, Musketman, Cannon

Tech (-> = beline)

Pottery, Animal, Mining, Masonry, Trapping, Bronze Working, Calendar, Writing, Philosophy, ->Construction, ->Civil Service, ->Machinery, ->Education,->Physics, Gunpowder, Chemistry, ->Military Science (didn't reach)

SP:

Full liberty, left side first. Honor left + two in honor right. (Didn't get policies enough to finish honor.)

Had a good game! No setbacks really. Happiness was fine most of the time and I had never any issues with gold. I don't think there was any point in building aqueducts though and I don't really know if universities was needed as well.

Thanks for the map! :goodjob:

Top Bottom