• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The new patch seems to have arrived

Well at least then they've taken a step in the right direction. If you had been playing optimally, it would be a nerf. Since you weren't playing optimally, we have the unusual situation that you will be earning perhaps more gold than before.

I don't see that as a problem with the direction of the change in the patch. But you could argue the patch did not go far enough. At least now, you can be confident that with the strategy you adopt, it is more optimal than the much more tedious method of build-disbanding units.

Well i did use ICS and Trade Post spam... never used Unit Disbanding.

Well "Hoorah" i guess for being able to make more gold than before without being labelled as exploiters :) and yes i am definately arguing that it didn't go nearly far enough.

Oh nice, it shows which civilization built what wonders. That's good, because I have a big huge game where someone has Machu Pichu, and I really want it, enough that I'll go capture it, but I can't seem to spot the city with the big huge Wonder sitting on top of a mountain.

Why bother with a 10%, 25%, or even 40% conversion rate when you can gift scouts to city states for 2 influence each (50%+ conversion rate) ?

Yeah, it would be nice to see influence from gifted units be more relative to the unit. Although, I will admit, it is really fun to have a proxy war by giving Kuala Lumpur three tanks and two battleships, then watching it roll over Napoleon.

Just start a new game. Sheesh.

I'm still experimenting the different paths to victory.
I had a well developed game going that could have gone either Space Race or Domination to victory and I had saved the game before the diverging paths... I had also saved a game down each path... Now all are lost... :cry:

If you carefully nurture a Civ and spend a lot of effort into its fruition, why should it be lost due to an update :mad:. Seems like sloppy updating to me. :confused:

Heyyy, the thing doesn't seem to crash 70% time I go into advanced setting options menu. If nothing else this is progress.

And for what it is worth, my thanks to the dev team for getting what seems to be a fairly substantial patch out pretty quickly.

I read most of the posts, but not all. After the patch it seems the mechanics with the city states have changed or it is my mistake. Although I seem to be ally with some city states I recieve only freindly benefits. For example, my influence with a city state is 100 and I'm firends only ( I seem to be an ally according to what the game says when i hover my mouse over the influence bar). Then, suddenly, after some turns, I recieve a message that I'm now allies with that state because my influence is more than a certain civilization. So was it always like this or now to be allies we have to have more influence over that city state than the other civs...

I read most of the posts, but not all. After the patch it seems the mechanics with the city states have changed or it is my mistake. Although I seem to be ally with some city states I recieve only freindly benefits. For example, my influence with a city state is 100 and I'm firends only ( I seem to be an ally according to what the game says when i hover my mouse over the influence bar). Then, suddenly, after some turns, I recieve a message that I'm now allies with that state because my influence is more than a certain civilization. So was it always like this or now to be allies we have to have more influence over that city state than the other civs...

No, that's unrelated to patch, and simply means that some other civ has bought more influence with said City State than you, therefore it's not your ally. If you would be to buy more Influence you'll find that you've become an ally of that CS within same turn.

Has anyone got more info about resource trading prices ratio now?

It was like that before, I was confused a bit too because the bar stays blue when you get bumped back down to Friends, but you can see who they are allied to on their diplomacy screen and eventually buy back their loyalty.

This should help.

Awesome! Been wishing for a concise overview of my diplomatic relationships just like that one.

So, I'm curious how this update is implemented:
* City - Add a Puppet city strategy that turns off training buildings and emphasizes gold.

When you choose puppet, do you get to choose this as a strategy, or when you click on a puppet city's banner, is it a new option along with Annex?

Civ 5 has a problem with production being at the bottom of the list... way down there.

If production is bad, then converting 25% of production is pretty self-limiting, no? If production is beefed/hammer cost is dropped, you'll be getting more gold on the conversion, but at the same time, you get more hammers and more for them...I think this change effectively deals with the efficiency of gold build vs unit disbandment without helping or hurting the overall gold/production balance. I think that's the right way to go (isolate a problem and solve it).

All that said, I do agree that things tend to take a LONG time to build, although generally I can keep it reasonable with good citizen management.

That's the way it always has been.
The ally of a City State is the nation with the highest influence, although more than one may have so much influence that they would qualify for ally if being alone.

But I have another observation:
Gandhi's capital (I assume it was the last of his cities) was captured (obviously not by me)and accordingly our research pact was cancelled.
Yet, the "end of pact" button on the right side comes with the message that the cancellation is due to now being at war. But Gandhi's taken out of the game...

Why bother with a 10%, 25%, or even 40% conversion rate when you can gift scouts to city states for 2 influence each (50%+ conversion rate) ?

Because you pay for the maintenance of the unit on the way there? It requires a nearby city state being the one you want to gift to? Because you might be producing so many hammers that you can build a scout more than every turn? (not sure what happens to overflow exceeding the value of the unit:confused:) Because the city state might have already heaps of units crammed in its space, especially with all those scouts you keep gifting them? I actually tried this in a recent game and didn't find it very effective. Maybe I didn't have the right settings though.

Quote:
* City - Add a Puppet city strategy that turns off training buildings and emphasizes gold.

It's something the AI for puppet cities do. You don't do anything.

eric_ said:
When you choose puppet, do you get to choose this as a strategy, or when you click on a puppet city's banner, is it a new option along with Annex?

Haven't noticed any option. Could be a non-controllable function?

Has anyone got more info about resource trading prices ratio now?

Best rate so far is 150 gold per luxury. Open borders still go for 50 gold. Haven't had the opportunity to trade lux for lux yet.

Because you pay for the maintenance of the unit on the way there? It requires a nearby city state being the one you want to gift to? Because you might be producing so many hammers that you can build a scout more than every turn? (not sure what happens to overflow exceeding the value of the unit:confused:) Because the city state might have already heaps of units crammed in its space, especially with all those scouts you keep gifting them? I actually tried this in a recent game and didn't find it very effective. Maybe I didn't have the right settings though.

gifting units is a good exchance rate, but still limited as you noted with the space issues.

CS will keep stuff you gift them.

I still would rebalance influence points a bit to devalue scouts/obosolete units more.

Do open borders do anything in this game except let units pass through?
If so why does the AI buy it from you when it almost never needs it?
Is there no lucrative international trade like in civ4 to make peaceful relations worthwhile?

Do open borders do anything in this game except let units pass through?
If so why does the AI buy it from you when it almost never needs it?
Is there no lucrative international trade like in civ4 to make peaceful relations worthwhile?

AIs will attack you if it sees your defenses. This is not a confirmed feature but well tested by myself and others.

AI appears to want to see your defenses first before attacking. It knows vaguely how powerful you are based on score rankings, but has no additional 'cheats' like they did in previous Civ games where they knew all your units, what they were, and where they were.

Top Bottom