The newcomer's FAQ on BNW

JohnnyKing

Chieftain
Many of mostly new Civ players struggle to find the right Civ to play on the right circumstances. All these sayings were done on Immortal difficulty (I am not a fanatic Deity player) and are confirmed to be working. Let's begin

What Civ do I choose If going for Science Victory?
Mostly anything. Any civ can win a science victory since it only requires many building and the Social Policy Rationalism which everyone should get disregarding VC since it is the best tree in the game. If you want a fast Science Victory then Babylons or Korean would be your pick.

What Civ do I choose If I want to smash the AI?
I would say the Huns, Assyrians for their sweet early game siege weapons and Chinese and Maya for their kill bonuses. If you plan on getting later, you should consider picking Brazil for their unit Prachina which replaces and makes better the best unit in the game, Infantry (or at least 'till you get the MI that is). Else, pick a civ that farms money so you can quick buy any units you need.

If I want to capture a city quick and without losing too much units, what's the solution to go?
Manhattan Project, build 3-4 nukes, enter with 2-3 ground units if capital. If you plan on earlier game, build many artillery units (we are talking about building 4-5 since we want to capture a capital) and enter with ground units.

Which civilizations should I not settle near?
Romans, Russians and Indians. They are very expansive and settling near them for a lot of time can lead them to denounce you.

What about sea and naval warfare?
Pick Carthaginian if you want free harbours and are keen to explore and attack in the Ancient/Classical eras
Pick the Ottomans if you want to sail a large navy and capture those enemy ships
Pick England if you want fast movement and love ruling the waves during the Medieval/Renaissance eras

How many cities?
It depends solely on your VC you are going for. If going for Domination, many cities produce many units on Production Focus and will get you 5-6 units in a matter of 20 turns. If you want a number, for annihilation I always go 4-5 cities with Liberty tree. If going for science, build as little as possible but still generate a huge number of Science per turn. Social policy is up to you. No matter the victory conditions, you must always drop everything and get Rationalism when you enter Renaissance era because otherwise you will fall behind in tech and will not be able to catch up.

Should I care about the score?
No. The score is there so you can have a basic insight on how the AI is doing better than you and what areas to cover. Hover over the AI score and see where you are back so you will be better prepared to catch up.

This guide addresses all the questions I got from Steam Communities mostly about Civ games and thought I posted them here. If you have a question you feel should be added in order to help the newcomers, feel free to post it and I will add it. This post is completely for helping the Newbs and not Immortal playing players.

I would also add some alternatives here as almost everything in CiV is situational. For example:

• Pick Carthaginian if you want free harbours and are keen to explore and attack in the Ancient/Classical eras
  • Pick the Ottomans if you want to sail a large navy and capture those enemy ships
  • Pick England if you want fast movement and love ruling the waves during the Medieval/Renaissance eras

My personal fave is England as they are the best all-rounder as their UA helps from the get go and lasts forever. I haven't mentioned the Danish or the Dutch but they are viable alternatives although I wouldn't say they are as good for beginners.

Moving on...

As this is a BNW guide, add some unique BNW things! For example,

How do I make money on BNW?

I was initially skeptical about the new trade routes but probably make more money now than I used to.

What's all this about Ideologies?

To experienced players these are just "special" Social Policies but trying to get to grips with ideological influence can be difficult for new players.

What's happened to the Cultural Victory?

Perhaps the single biggest change and the most complicated VC to get to grips with.

How does the World Congress Work?

Pretty self-explanatory but I would certainly mention the importance of this!

I'm trying to be constructive I promise! :goodjob: Also, Greece. Never settle near Greece!

On Smashing I would note that it's much easier to do this by navy than by land even if playing civs without a naval UU.
Actually, I don't remember the last time I lost a unit taking an AI city this way. (Other than ones just captured by one of my Privateers)

I would also add some alternatives here as almost everything in CiV is situational. For example:

• Pick Carthaginian if you want free harbours and are keen to explore and attack in the Ancient/Classical eras
  • Pick the Ottomans if you want to sail a large navy and capture those enemy ships
  • Pick England if you want fast movement and love ruling the waves during the Medieval/Renaissance eras

My personal fave is England as they are the best all-rounder as their UA helps from the get go and lasts forever. I haven't mentioned the Danish or the Dutch but they are viable alternatives although I wouldn't say they are as good for beginners.

Moving on...

As this is a BNW guide, add some unique BNW things! For example,

How do I make money on BNW?

I was initially skeptical about the new trade routes but probably make more money now than I used to.

What's all this about Ideologies?

To experienced players these are just "special" Social Policies but trying to get to grips with ideological influence can be difficult for new players.

What's happened to the Cultural Victory?

Perhaps the single biggest change and the most complicated VC to get to grips with.

How does the World Congress Work?

Pretty self-explanatory but I would certainly mention the importance of this!

I'm trying to be constructive I promise! :goodjob: Also, Greece. Never settle near Greece!
I added it. Thanks.

Top Bottom