The niggling things

There is still something screwy going on with the unit actions. In a recent game I was unable to use the hotkey for bombard (B) unless I clicked off the unit and then clicked back on it.
Also, when a unit doesn't have anywhere to move, sometimes the game still registers it as a unit needing orders...but I literally can't move it, so I have to hit "rest" so I can end my turn.
Just some weird, bizarre things going on still...

Also, when a unit doesn't have anywhere to move, sometimes the game still registers it as a unit needing orders...but I literally can't move it, so I have to hit "rest" so I can end my turn.
Just some weird, bizarre things going on still...
I've always had an issue where sometimes I can just skip that turn, other times I have to put them on guard and I don't even know why that is.just a bit frustrating because it means I have to remember that unit the next turn, which might be a few days away.

How the AI have all these different things they can yell and tell me not to do while all I can tell them is pls no convert or pls no settle near ok.

I want the AI to recognize powerful empires better. If my empire is surrounding the AI and they don't have 25% of my military power I don't want them to constantly whine about silly horsehocky and yell at me for being a bad leader. I can be bad if you want to.

Not something that bothers me too much but I want every interaction with the leader to be voiced and maybe with more unique animations.

I want to tell Caesar to stop attacking that CS I want to have as a lifelong friend.

you know what still annoys me after all this time?

not being able to build roads precisely where I want them. stupid lazy traders never go where I want!

Military Engineers can build roads using charges or railroads for 1 coal and 1 iron without using a charge.

Military Engineers can build roads using charges or railroads for 1 coal and 1 iron without using a charge.

I would love to see aggregate stats on how often a ME has actually built a road. It seems to be the biggest waste of production and would take at minimum 2 ME's worth of charges to even just connect two cities together.

not being able to build roads precisely where I want them. stupid lazy traders never go where I want!

My vision for this would be the ability to map out a trade route for my traders and then tell them to go for it. 1. That way they would actually use my canals, mountain tunnels, trading posts to boost gold; and 2. I would actually get useful inland roads instead of sea routes. I suppose this is the plight of the ruler that the merchant class has a mind of its own?

I would love to see aggregate stats on how often a ME has actually built a road. It seems to be the biggest waste of production and would take at minimum 2 ME's worth of charges to even just connect two cities together.

I mean, probably never.

indeed, but that is long past the point where I care anymore

True, but early roads were just what traders used to travel so it makes sense that trade routes are the main source of roads in the game. Maybe some kind of mechanic added in the Medieval Era to direct or influence the were trade routes traverse the map.

That is really one of my favorite rants and one of the small design details of Civ6 that annoys me the most: The way that roads are often laid down in completely messy and non-sensical ways based on whatever logic - or lack thereof - that determines the path of the traders. Often we have roads from different eras running parallel to each others, roads that miss a city by one hex, or even more annoyingly roads that don't exist at all because the trader decides it's more convenient to connect the two cities by ocean than by land. I know it was an idea that looked cool on paper, but it definitely didn't turn out very well imo. I could go on about this topic at lengths. :gripe:

True, but early roads were just what traders used to travel so it makes sense that trade routes are the main source of roads in the game. Maybe some kind of mechanic added in the Medieval Era to direct or influence the were trade routes traverse the map.
yep I do understand the intent behind this decision as well. It is kinda historically accurate I'll grant that.

It just doesn't make the game more fun having no control over things. Some semblance of realism is important, but is not the answer to everything. Personally I suspect it was an overreaction to the "spaghetti roads" meme from previous versions of civ.

That is really one of my favorite rants and one of the small design details of Civ6 that annoys me the most: The way that roads are often laid down in completely messy and non-sensical ways based on whatever logic - or lack thereof - that determines the path of the traders. Often we have roads from different eras running parallel to each others, roads that miss a city by one hex, or even more annoyingly roads that don't exist at all because the trader decides it's more convenient to connect the two cities by ocean than by land. I know it was an idea that looked cool on paper, but it definitely didn't turn out very well imo. I could go on about this topic at lengths. :gripe:
do go on! haha

the one that set me off recently was when I had two cities I wanted to connect very early - my capital and a city on the periphery towards my enemy. I wanted the shortest path between those cities for obvious reasons. But because the AI had built some random road already way off to one side, my trader had to also go out of the way to re-use this road instead of making a new, direct one.

This is one of the things I let myself use the cheat map editor mod for. Traders will prioritize traveling where there's the lowest movement penalty, so if they can go over floodplains or rainforest hills, with both paths being equally direct, they'll choose floodplains. Which... kinda takes away some of the utility of roads, imho. So I've found that if I use the paint mode on the mod to put down modern roads where I want the route to go and then wait an extra turn, the trader will want to travel along the modern roads. and then I can just activate that trade route and then get rid of all the modern roads and the trader will make the path I wanted. Takes a bit of time to do, but hey it works, and drawing routes probably won't ever be added as a feature by Firaxis so it's what I live with.
Also I totally promise I don't overuse this method when playing as the Cree :mischief: I would never do that :mischief:

do go on! haha

the one that set me off recently was when I had two cities I wanted to connect very early - my capital and a city on the periphery towards my enemy. I wanted the shortest path between those cities for obvious reasons. But because the AI had built some random road already way off to one side, my trader had to also go out of the way to re-use this road instead of making a new, direct one.
Not an ideal solution, given that it does cost, but you can use military engineers to create your own road. I feel it's ridiculously expensive to do, though. Inwait until railroads when it's only limited by how many MEs you have and how fast you want it done.

For me, and sorry if it has already been brought up in here, didn't read all the messages, but my main pet peeve remains unit pathing decisions. Especially when the game indicates to you a certain path, but when you click on the target tile, your unit just chooses another path, most likely to be the absolute worst path it could have chosen for you. Most common when you have a land unit on a coast tile grrrr... It's been what now ? 5 years ??? and that still finds its way to make me swear like an 18th century sailor !

For me, and sorry if it has already been brought up in here, didn't read all the messages, but my main pet peeve remains unit pathing decisions. Especially when the game indicates to you a certain path, but when you click on the target tile, your unit just chooses another path, most likely to be the absolute worst path it could have chosen for you. Most common when you have a land unit on a coast tile grrrr... It's been what now ? 5 years ??? and that still finds its way to make me swear like an 18th century sailor !

Agreed. Or when you've got a golden age giving you increased embarked movement and you are moving your unit and instead of keeping in the sea it decides to take an unexpected detour onto an island tile and cost you a turn or two of movement. Grrr.

speaking of things the UI indicates are going to occur, but then don't...the whole "next hex to be acquired by cultural expansion" preview highlighting...yeah that isn't reliable either.

speaking of things the UI indicates are going to occur, but then don't...the whole "next hex to be acquired by cultural expansion" preview highlighting...yeah that isn't reliable either.

I have literally checked that every turn to see if a city is growing to grow to a tile I want, the display says it's going to up the turn before it is supposed to and then grabs a tile on the opposite side of the city and I should have just bought the tile I wanted like 5 turns ago. Endlessly frustrating.

Is there a way to figure out how fast a city can get a new hex? I know it shows how many turns, but how is that number determined?

Top Bottom